Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler

Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
damnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Elect Tech (Retired)
Name: Gene
damnfingers's Tacoma Gallery
Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler

I'm going to be towing a car/trailer combination that's going to put me just a little over the 3500lb weight limit (3850) so I want to add an oil cooler and a transmission cooler to be safe. Etrailer.com recommended I buy the "Derale Transmission Coolers,Engine Cooler - D15902". I looked this up online and the only mention I can find of it is in...tah dah...etrailer.com .

Has anyone here used this on their Tacoma (or other trucks for that matter), if so do you recommend it and if not, what other combination would you recommend.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

By the way I have a dealer installed hitch and I've had an electric brake controller installed.

The trailer I'm going to be pulling is an 18' version of this (with an MGTC, not a Lotus, inside):
Attached Thumbnails
Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler-miontrose_trailer_006.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Do you really have a Lotus in there? I use to have a "Europa" back in the day.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
damnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the sheddamnfingers is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Do you really have a Lotus in there? I use to have a "Europa" back in the day.
No, read the last sentence: "The trailer I'm going to be pulling is an 18' version of this (with an MGTC, not a Lotus, inside)". However, there is a Lotus in *that* trailer.

Here's what's going to be in mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler-montrose_trailer_008.jpg   Combination Oil/Transmission Cooler-img_2492-version-2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
No, no tow package. I saw the drop hitch and incorrectly *assumed* it had the tow package which I needed...in fact I traded in a 2011 access cab with a tow package for the double cab.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Yep, might do it. Will I need an oil cooler too...or will the transmission cooler suffice?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfingers View Post
Yep, might do it. Will I need an oil cooler too...or will the transmission cooler suffice?
I don't think the TRD's come with an oil cooler so I imagine you would be fine without one. The TRD V6's are rated to tow 6500lbs and I'm pretty sure all we have over you is the receiver hitch (which you added) and the tranny cooler (which you are adding).
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
You also get an oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and a 27F battery with the tow package. The TRD packages just include the tow package features.

Honestly, not sure how important the oil cooler is as the transmission is the one that suffers the most when towing. The battery isn't all that important either unless you have flood lights on your trailer or something.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post
You also get an oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and a 27F battery with the tow package. The TRD packages just include the tow package features.

Honestly, not sure how important the oil cooler is as the transmission is the one that suffers the most when towing. The battery isn't all that important either unless you have flood lights on your trailer or something.
Oh yep... Forgot about the alternator. haha. Didn't know about the others though.