1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at buying 2013. What mistakes did you make?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mowgli, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Poser

Poser Member

Member:
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    4x4 offroad
    To be completely honest, you dont need a TRD if you can afford it. I bought a 2012 TRD off road because i had the $ from deployment. Paid cash. In hindsight I should have bout a 1st gen, and dumped the leftover $ into the build.

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
  3. Feb 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    LennyTheLip

LennyTheLip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Branch, NJ.
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCSB
    Tint and tonneau for now
    Best thing is to test drive as many different models as you can. Make a list of what you like and need. I don't plan on being off-road much, if ever, so I went with the SR5. I feel it has a little bit better ride than the OR models. We can all add in our $.02, but ultimately go with what makes you smile the most.

4. Feb 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    No mistakes made here. I knew exactly what I wanted and did all the research before going in.
    I wanted an MGM 4x4 DCSB TRD off road with the heavy duty vinyl flooring(best option IMO) JBL touchscreen and tow package. This was late in 2012 and they didn't have it anywhere, so they ordered one for me and I waited patiently while it was being built.
    This is my first Tacoma and I wanted to do it right the first time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    Mowgli

Mowgli [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    JKU
    Has anyone ever gotten what they owe matched on the trade in? Like I said I owe 30k but it's saying it's worth 25k. I know when I traded my escape in for the jeep I made 4k over what it was worth. Do they give you way better trade ins when taking a 2013 off their lot?

I went today and found a Trd sport and a Trd off road I liked dcsb

6. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    cmoulton13

cmoulton13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma double cab trd off road
    :(
    I just bought a 2013 DC OR in super white and I love it. I have made 2 payments on it and I am already on here scouring for mods. I am a USAA member and used their car buying program to get instant savings (it was like 1500-2k off of msrp). I got approved for a loan through USAA and went to the dealership with my guns loaded. Well after about 4 hours I ended up financing through toyota for an even lower APR and got a price match on my USAA instant savings... I then got a 1k rebate for being military and another 500 bucks for being a recent college grad. I ended up paying 29500, the truck came with towing package, georgia legal tints and I got 2 free tanks of gas.

7. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Did this include entune?

8. Feb 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    The only mistake I made was getting a prerunner. I have been stuck multiple times in places that 4x4 would have made it. I don't know what was going on in my head when I got it other than it's my first truck. I have the offroad package, so having the locker has helped in spots that I would have been stuck if it weren't for the locker. The long bed is your best bet. Hands down on a 6ft bed vs. a 5ft bed any day. It may be a pain to turn in, the extra 1ft bed space will go to good use.

9. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If you like a good stereo but don't want to mess with it get the JBL with the sub.

I would be hands down the best stock stereo I have ever heard and see no reason to upgrade any part of it. The entune is stupid but comes with it.

If you are not into serious off roading then get the sport.

If you are into moderate off roading but don't like to up grade get the off road.

and if you plan on doing any rock crawling and like modding get the sr5 and upgrade the bejeuse out of it.

The 2 big ones don't get the 2WD and don't get the 2.7L engine.

The inbed power inverter is kind of useless.

Almost forgot the access cab sucks don't get it.

10. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    Negotiate trading out the tires before you leave the lot.
    In my opinion it is the #1 improvement you can make to the truck, and the cost impact will be minimal if you do it immediately.
    The stock tires suck that bad. Seriously.

11. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    cmoulton13

Member:
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    negative, no entune... tbh I dont see the point if you have a smartphone and window mount. It does however drive me nuts that my wife's iphone will show the song/artist/album info from pandora on the display and my droid won't.:mad:

12. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    cmoulton13

Member:
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, I have heard bad things about the dinky stock sub. I installed a rockford fosgate 10 inch punch behind my seat and it bumps harder than I could ever want it to... The door speakers seem pretty good as well especially when you don't run much bass to them (I can do that now that I am subbed)

13. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    Deercamp

Deercamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Seacoast area New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Double Cab LB, Pyrite Mica
    Access Lite Rider Bed Cover, sill protectors, Weathertech mats, Wet Okole seat covers, de-badged, Plasti-Dipped Grill Emblem (black), LT 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure Kevlar tires
    2013 TRD Sport Double Cab LB Pyrite Mica-

Mistakes:
    Should have gotten a more aggressive tire
    Should have ensured that the radio was Sirius XM compatible

After purchase installed sill protectors, Weathertech mats, Access bed cover, & Rain X Latitude blades. May install a set of Okole seat covers for front seats (rear seats are permanently down and covered for exclusive use of my English Setter and Weimaraner)

DSCN0048.jpg

14. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    I love my JBL stereo. Worth ever penny. Only problem is the plastic covering behind the seats (when the normal storage is) tends to rattle pretty bad on certain tones. Quick fix is to just stick a rag between your seats and that back plastic covering.

15. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    For a stereo in a truck it rocks. I do however listen exclusively to techno/electronica/dubstep type music.

But I do not expect it to be able to keep up with my home systems that has 4 12 inches subs.:D

I think for me that fact that I can turn it up to a point it hurts but the sound is still clear is a good point for me. Because I hate crappy sound. Thats why I have a Klipsch system at home.

^^I have never heard mine rattle?

16. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    It's only on a few songs that mine rattles. Try playing "Real Big" by Mannie Fresh and let me know if you get it. If not, there's another reason to go back to the dealership to have them try and fix it.

17. Feb 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    the goof I made .. I should have gotten the SR5 acess package. or DC longbox sport. Right now I the base sliver acess . I ended up doing three mods to make me happy for now.

18. Apr 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM
    LaserShark

LaserShark Full-on

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD 4x4 offroad dbl cab
    Kicker audio system
    +1

19. Apr 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    LaserShark

LaserShark Full-on

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD 4x4 offroad dbl cab
    Kicker audio system
    The 2013 radio is Sirius XM compatible:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...alling-sirius-stock-touch-screen-radio-2.html

20. Apr 6, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    Deercamp

Deercamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Seacoast area New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Double Cab LB, Pyrite Mica
    Access Lite Rider Bed Cover, sill protectors, Weathertech mats, Wet Okole seat covers, de-badged, Plasti-Dipped Grill Emblem (black), LT 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure Kevlar tires
    Thanks- will do some research- appears one has to spend a few hundred dollars and an hour or so of installation to convert stock TRD radio to XM compatible - still disappointed that in a 2013 $30 + thousand truck the radio supplied with the TRD package does not include XM.

Products Discussed in

To Top