Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking at buying 2013. What mistakes did you make?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Mowgli is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Mike
Mowgli's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at buying 2013. What mistakes did you make?

I'm going to be trading in my 2012 jeep wrangler unlimited for a four door Tacoma. I didn't end up liking the jeep as much as I had hoped for. So much for my childhood dream coming true. Well anyways I know when I got my jeep there was little options I found out later that I should have got which didn't. I do know the Tacoma has to be 4wd and 4 door but what other options would you guys say is a must have? I'm a little confused with all the current models like the Trd sport and Trd off road and prerunner.

Currently I owe $31 left on my jeep so I'm hopping when I trade it in the will match what I owe since I'll be taking a 2013 off their lot.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
gb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Geoff
gb42's Tacoma Gallery
31k wow. Maybe buy a used tacoma?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Firefighter:
Mowgli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb42 View Post
31k wow. Maybe buy a used tacoma?
I've only had it 5 months but I just can't stand it. Why would I get used? You can work better deals when buying brand new
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how you plan to use it Offroad or not depends on which package. Lots of offroading i would get the offroad for the locker. Not so much offroad get the sport. Also if you want the long bed you have to get the sport. Prerunner is 2wd so you definitely don't want that.

I wish I had gotten the Offroad but I still love my Tacoma either way.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Firefighter:
Mowgli's Tacoma Gallery
I don't off road a lot but do take it off road about 4 times a month on mild off road to go Rock climbing. So far I've never gotten the jeep stuck and I don't have lockers
Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
OR if you think you might need the locker. If you for see yourself modding a lot of the truck though save some money and just get an SR5.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
gb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgb42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Geoff
gb42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
I've only had it 5 months but I just can't stand it. Why would I get used? You can work better deals when buying brand new
Sorry just my thought that a 31k loan on a 35k car is an indicator that I can't afford the car.

Anyways, what the poster said above is spot on.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Firefighter:
Mowgli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb42 View Post
Sorry just my thought that a 31k loan on a 35k car is an indicator that I can't afford the car.

Anyways, what the poster said above is spot on.
I didn't have any money to put down and it was $38 after taxes and everything and if after 5 months I've already payed 7k I think you can see the cash isn't much of a problem now. Just didn't have any saved up at the time.

I'll research the sr5. Hadn't even heard of it till now. I don't off road much so I don't think I'll need it but ill look it up. Most of the places I off road I used to do in a 2wd ford ranger with mild difficulty and in the jeep it was cake even without the lockers
Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Get the trd sport for the hood skewp.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Firefighter:
Mowgli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
Get the trd sport for the hood skewp.
Ah thank you I forgot that. I love the look of the scoop. It's only on the sport?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bunch of Toyota pickups, 87, 90, 94, 2006, 2013.
My 2006 was a 4WD Double Cab SR5 Shortbed auto w/ Tow pkg.
That truck did all my outdoor activities 4+ yrs.
It got me to the hiking trail heads, ran fire roads, put a thule roof rack on it for kayaks.
This is in VT/NH/ME/NY. Little roads not a lot of room.
The Short bed made it easier to turn around in parking areas in the National Forest where I hike & ride.
The 2006 was priced right for it was a leftover.
My only mistake was trading it in for a tundra.
Now back in a 2013 & went with an Off Road.

What's book value of the Jeep?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah thank you I forgot that. I love the look of the scoop. It's only on the sport?
Yup. It's only on the sport. Unless you has a XSP. It has the stick on skewp.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
HolmaTaco is on a distinguished road
Navy: IT
Name: Darrius
HolmaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I made a mistake when getting my Prerunner, I let the dealer talk me into it and hype it up basically I'm trading it in on my birthday if not sooner for a 2013
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
I say get the TRD I think a lot of guys make the mistake of getting a none TRD or getting the 2wd aka the pre runner.

If you don’t plain on off roading get the TRD SPORT. the main difference between the sport of off road, is the rear E locker.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Also on the sport, it has the turn signals in the mirror, and color matched grille, door handles, rear bumper, etc.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
dsrtne1 will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
dsrtne1's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the prerunner sport because I don't really offroad and if i do, it would be mild enough that it wouldn't require the locker or 4x4. Personally I think the sport looks the best since everything is colormatched and I'm not a huge fan of the textured black plastic. I thought about just getting the sr5 because i plan on modding my truck quite a bit but I have no regrets about getting the sport.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
tacosteven is on a distinguished road

Name: steven
tacosteven's Tacoma Gallery
Other than getting a PreRunner... I would say none. And it wasn't a mistake, just at the time it was the right decision.

Get the long bed if it is available, turning is a bit different, but if you are going to be using it to haul stuff, the extra foot is nice.
I have the SR5 and have no regrets about buying.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
well op you have clearly found tw, so the bottom line is that whatver you get, your gonna be doing alot of non stock mods on it later cause of this place

my only mistake was not getting a taco sooner to be honest. im just as stoked about my sport prerunner as the day I got him. but looks are more important to me than rock climbing, so id suggest you just go for the offroad 4x4 if thats what your looking at doing.

bottom line: buying any flavor of tacoma is never a mistake
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm going to be trading in my 2012 jeep wrangler unlimited for a four door Tacoma. I didn't end up liking the jeep as much as I had hoped for. So much for my childhood dream coming true. Well anyways I know when I got my jeep there was little options I found out later that I should have got which didn't. I do know the Tacoma has to be 4wd and 4 door but what other options would you guys say is a must have? I'm a little confused with all the current models like the Trd sport and Trd off road and prerunner.

Currently I owe $31 left on my jeep so I'm hopping when I trade it in the will match what I owe since I'll be taking a 2013 off their lot.
do you want a long bed? the long bed (6') is not available with the TRD OR if you get a 4 door.
if you like chrome get the sr5 or OR model, if you like color matched bumpers and mirrors than get the sport model.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #20
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i think what it comes down to is either the trd off road or the trd sport. you yourself have said that there was little options on your jeep you wish you would have gotten. its going to be the same with the taco.