Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

budget freindly speedo corection

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
budget freindly speedo corection

With all the tire swaping that goes on this forum does anyone know the cheapest way to correct the speedo after puting bigger tires on a second gen taco ?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotruck 2.7 View Post
With all the tire swaping that goes on this forum does anyone know the cheapest way to correct the speedo after puting bigger tires on a second gen taco ?
I used the SPEEDOHEALER on my motorcycle (on 4 so far actually over the last 11 years) since a motorcycle is normally ~8% high in mph/odometer. Piece of cake as they have the factory plugs, you simply put it in-line.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

I wonder if something exists like this for the Tacoma?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
2wheelnut is on a distinguished road

Name: Angelo
2wheelnut's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking the same, I use speedo healers too. Older cars used gears in the transmission, if these are similar then I would figure they wouldn't be able to be corrected easily.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
You could use an ultragauge and just calibrate it. I have one and it shows MPH but I have been too lazy to calibrate it. I believe they are +- $70 after the rebate?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
You could use an ultragauge and just calibrate it. I have one and it shows MPH but I have been too lazy to calibrate it. I believe they are +- $70 after the rebate?
x2 on the Ultragauge. It's easy and has a lot of other uses besides just showing you your actual speed.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelnut View Post
I was thinking the same, I use speedo healers too. Older cars used gears in the transmission, if these are similar then I would figure they wouldn't be able to be corrected easily.
I would have to imagine our speed sensor is electronic not a manual one. But I don't actually know.

The nice thing about the SH over possibly other display devices is you actually reduce the # of miles your racking up on your odometer. I care about that as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I just downloaded the ultragauge instructions and i did not see anything tire/speedo corection related. Is there a diffrent model ?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
KingDavey is on a distinguished road

Name: Think about it...
KingDavey's Tacoma Gallery
hypertech makes a speedo calibrator. I used to have one.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotruck 2.7 View Post
I just downloaded the ultragauge instructions and i did not see anything tire/speedo corection related. Is there a diffrent model ?
There is a speed calibration on the UltraGauge. It does not change the speedometer, but gives you a readout on the UG that shows your corrected speed.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #10
Blueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/ EMT
Name: Matt
Blueanimal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavey View Post
hypertech makes a speedo calibrator. I used to have one.
If you want your speedo to read correctly I think this is your only choice.
Not exactly budget friendly at $200 though.

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A3757A0A0.aspx
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, I like that Hypertech one. Going to have to get when I lift my taco. Tks for link!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the Hypertech Speedo calibrator works really well... Fairly easy to install, just need to take your dash apart...

or for a cheaper alternative, you could use a Dakota Digital...

Products Discussed in this Thread