Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plasti-dipped OEM wheels (temporary) thoughts?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
DylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DylansBase's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-dipped OEM wheels (temporary) thoughts?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts:

- Wheels look better black.

- You have a impact wrench and air compressor and do not have a floor jack? WTF?

- You lined up those 6 lug nuts nicely in the first picture.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I've had my stockers plastic dipped since the first day I had the truck
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
tundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nice

tundrataco's Tacoma Gallery
yep did the same to mine, but didnt even take them off of the truck.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
Taco Supreme!
roboots21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
roboots21's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm looks like I may try this out. I have to take my stockers off of my truck as the finish has become very pitted and horrible. I am going to have them blasted and primered this spring and figure derp'ing them may be a good idea since they won't be run year round. Looks good OP!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
do the 4runner in the background also
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I like it, I'm planning on doing that myself once the weather starts warming up a little, probably in april. I've read that plastidip itself can start looking dulled after a little while, is this true? I was thinking of doing plastidip first and then painting over that with another color enamel paint, maybe gunmetal grey or something. I figure if I don't like it and have plastidip as the base I can peel it off pretty easily.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
grizzlygoalie is on a distinguished road
grizzlygoalie's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, I plan on doing it once it warms up as well.

As for fadding, I did it on my old Ram, after a year they weren't faded, just a little chip here and there that I just sprayed another layer over( the way plastidip works you don't have to worry about even coats after the first time)

and its cheap enough that after a few years it needs a new coat to "freshen" up I'm good with that
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
cvisinho is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cvisinho's Tacoma Gallery
Def gonna try it on my stockers this spring as well before I spring to have them refinished or replace with new wheels.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
Doing mine as soon as the weather breaks. Not going to waste money on new wheels. They don't hold up to the salt. I guess I could go Teflon coated, but why bother. Going to do all the badges also.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. These 16" off road wheels look better in black than 17" Sports anyway imo.

Should have done that to mine, as they were in rough shape but I since sold them. They were only winter wheels, and that brings up a question of how would plasti-dip hold up over a winter?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
grizzlygoalie is on a distinguished road
grizzlygoalie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Looks good. These 16" off road wheels look better in black than 17" Sports anyway imo.

Should have done that to mine, as they were in rough shape but I since sold them. They were only winter wheels, and that brings up a question of how would plasti-dip hold up over a winter?
Just fine, I had mine done for a year, and only time it really chipped was in the summer wheeling, and that was very minimal and was an easy touch up.

If you do a good 4-6 coats you shouldn't have much of an issue
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
rjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjsimz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Airframer
Name: Rob
rjsimz's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine done since November, 4 coats, not one problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
DylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shedDylansBase is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DylansBase's Tacoma Gallery
I've plasti-dipped many things and I haven't noticed any faded paint yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I like it, I'm planning on doing that myself once the weather starts warming up a little, probably in april. I've read that plastidip itself can start looking dulled after a little while, is this true? I was thinking of doing plastidip first and then painting over that with another color enamel paint, maybe gunmetal grey or something. I figure if I don't like it and have plastidip as the base I can peel it off pretty easily.