1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axle Wrap or Driveshaft Vibrations ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KJaikaran, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    2011 Tacoma DCSB
    3" lift
    Bilsteins, Eibach Springs, AAL
    No axle shims, or carrier drop yet.

I am getting a 5-10mph vibration. Wondering if its axle wrap because it feels more like a hoping than a vibration, but i am not 100% sure which one it is. Getting ready to install OME leaf packs with 3 degree axle shims so i am hoping it will help, and i guess the only other thing would be carrier bracket drop before looking into u-joints.

The reason I am starting to think its axle wrap is because I found this while trying to do some research on what exactly axle wrap is:

"Axle Wrap- Torque and traction combine to twist the axle (pushing the nose of the differential up going forward and down going backward) by twisting the axle into an "S" shape. The energy is stored in the spring until the tire slips, and at that point the spring snaps back violently. Sometimes this results in a hopping sensation, hence the other common term, "axle hop." It can be very hard on driveshafts and u-joints"

http://www.offroadadventures.com/articles/view/id/367

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I noticed axle wrap being a thud u can feel 1 time, after a stop (specially a moderate stop) and the suspension settles a second later. Or, after a stop id get a thud as I let off the brakes to go.
    After the tsb and an aal, that thud is gone.

It used to also cause a small lurch forward, or maybe the rear settling caused it to "feel" like it lurched, im not sure.

3. Mar 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    Installed the OME leaf pack with the axle shims and I am still getting the 5-10 MPH vibration. I ordered the carrier bracket drop from beefed taco so hopefully that might resolve it.

I am still kind of confused if i am getting axle wrap or drive shaft vibration. I sometimes get that thud after a moderate stop then releasing the brakes as you said, but its so random its hard to tell what exactly that is since i cant replicate it.

Products Discussed in

To Top