LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front end floorboard "knocking"

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
HumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HumboldtTaco707's Tacoma Gallery
Front end floorboard "knocking"

I apologize if this has been addressed, but I have yet to find a thread that talks about my problem specifically. Iv'e had minor front end vibrations through the floorboard since putting on my 5100s a couple months ago, but recently i've been noticing an odd "knocking" feeling front the left side of front end through the floorboards. It is very random and doesn't seem to follow a pattern, but it occurs a little more frequently at highway speeds. I've recently changed all bjs and tie rods, so I don't think it is that. Has anyone felt this before? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
HumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay. I'm taking it in for oil change/ tire rotation today so I'll have him take a look around. Hopefully the vibrations are just caused by the uneven wear on my tires from being out of alignment for too long
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Name: ErIc
crazyrzr85's Tacoma Gallery
LOL...you said bj's!
But in seriousness, this sounds like a noise i'm having and started a thread on earlier...sub'd to see what you come up with!!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

Well good news, most of the vibes and shaking is gone from rotating my tires. Haven't noticed the knocking yet but it was always very random so it might randomly come back, ill keep you guys updated.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrzr85 View Post
LOL...you said bj's!
But in seriousness, this sounds like a noise i'm having and started a thread on earlier...sub'd to see what you come up with!!
Do you have a front end lift as well??
Old 03-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Name: ErIc
crazyrzr85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtTaco707 View Post
Do you have a front end lift as well??
I have no lift at all, everything stock.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the same knocking sound for a while.... My truck is totally stock. Mine is coming from passenger side and the only time anyone hears it, is when someone is sitting in the passenger seat (and at highway speeds). It's definitely in the wheel well area....

I've done a quick poke around underneath this past fall and didn't see anything obvious, but I'm definitely interested in finding out what this is. It's too damn cold out now to do any further inspections.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I had an alignment about a year ago after I got new tires.
Checked my a-arm bolts today - the torque wrench clicked immediately.

In terms of body mounts..... I see 2 in the front on each side? One at the cross member, and the other at the very front. Am I missing any? The two at the cross member, I checked them by hand and was able to move them - and got a couple cranks with the torque wrench at 50ft lbs. The ones at the front, I couldn't even move them by hand - so I didn't bother with them.

Anyone know what the torque spec for the body mounts is supposed to be? I tried searching and didn't find any concrete information.

So, we'll see......
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I had an alignment about a year ago after I got new tires.
Checked my a-arm bolts today - the torque wrench clicked immediately.

In terms of body mounts..... I see 2 in the front on each side? One at the cross member, and the other at the very front. Am I missing any? The two at the cross member, I checked them by hand and was able to move them - and got a couple cranks with the torque wrench at 50ft lbs. The ones at the front, I couldn't even move them by hand - so I didn't bother with them.

Anyone know what the torque spec for the body mounts is supposed to be? I tried searching and didn't find any concrete information.

So, we'll see......
torque isn't that much if I remember. 50 ft/lbs is probably about right. Yes - 2 on each side in front.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
torque isn't that much if I remember. 50 ft/lbs is probably about right. Yes - 2 on each side in front.
Thanks!
We'll have to take some highway trips here soon and see it his clunk/knock comes back or not.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #13

Yeah mine didn't go away. I did have an alignment recently but I had the problem before that also
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Bringing an old thread back for an FYI for a anyone else.... as I'm pretty sure I found my 'knock'.

I had tightened the body mounts and hadn't felt the knock in a while, so I thought it was fixed. Just yesterday, an extremely windy day..... and the knock was constant with gusts of wind. Upon further inspection, I discovered my mud flaps were ripped where the plastic meets the body at the lip. You can't see it unless you pull it away from the body. Passenger side was ripped the entire length and the drivers side only half way. I can post picts if anyone needs 'em.

I had my husband sit in the truck with the windows up and I flipped the mud flaps back-n-forth so he could hear the knock....
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Bringing an old thread back for an FYI for a anyone else.... as I'm pretty sure I found my 'knock'.

I had tightened the body mounts and hadn't felt the knock in a while, so I thought it was fixed. Just yesterday, an extremely windy day..... and the knock was constant with gusts of wind. Upon further inspection, I discovered my mud flaps were ripped where the plastic meets the body at the lip. You can't see it unless you pull it away from the body. Passenger side was ripped the entire length and the drivers side only half way. I can post picts if anyone needs 'em.

I had my husband sit in the truck with the windows up and I flipped the mud flaps back-n-forth so he could hear the knock....
Hmm well I don't have mud flaps so I can rule that out