1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Methinks I Smell a Rat

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mexnorthtaco, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Feb 25, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Mexnorthtaco

Mexnorthtaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Off Road
    Not as dramatic as Hamlet, but bloody unsettling. We've smelled an animal smell for some time this winter, coming from the cabin heating system. The weather has been too cold/wet to stand out there in the yard and do any searching. Today, with no rain or snow, I decided to take off the glovebox and check out the cabin air filter. The filter was stuck tight, but I worked it out, and saw immediately, the rat shit in the folds of the filter, but there was something lumpy and dark jammed in the filter space, to the RH side of the squirrel cage. I got a flashlight and shone it in, and there was a huge dead rat, perfectly preserved by the freezing temps we've been having. It looked quite fresh and fat, like it was pregnant. I dug it out and it was so big I had to partially drag it out by the tail! Amazing how things go bang in the brain later. I clearly recall hearing a dull bump or bang some time/s recently, coming from that region, but dismissed it as something contracting on cooling, something inconsequential. I think it was the rat kicking, or fighting against being trapped. How did it get in there? Can anybody tell me that? Does anybody know where the air enters the cabin heater squirrel cage? Is it a branch of the engine air supply trunking to the engine air filter? How do I rat-proof the entrance to avoid a repetition? I have rat baits, blue cubes suspended under the hood to avoid a repetition of rats or squirrels eating through the wiring a couple of winters ago. Some of the rat shit in the filter was blue, a sure sign the rat had partaken of a mortal blow meal. But it must have been a slow death, because it had chewed some of the filter and some grey foam from the interior of the heater motor casing. All suggestions appreciated.

2. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Look under the cowl above that location in the engine bay

3. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Dirty rats!
    I have shoot 3 of them in the last month in my back yard.
    Sorry no suggestions for you.

4. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Hang on

5. Feb 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  6. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    Mexnorthtaco

Mexnorthtaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Off Road
    Thank you for your responses. How stupid of me, of course that is where they get in. They must do this in any vehicle parked outside in the winter, and our place is surrounded by trees and shrubs. Oddly, I'm the only guy in the area that has the problem, and we all park trucks outside, and we all have half acre lots with lots of shrubs and trees. Thanks for the heads up. What a pain it is getting that little plastic strut on again to the glovebox door.

7. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    jrogers329

jrogers329 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner TRD DCLB-TRADED!
  8. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    OP ... you know you lost 83% of the forum with the Hamlet comparison ... :cool:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. Feb 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah , the hetero community

10. Feb 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    That's funny shit ...:rasta:

11. Feb 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    Porkchop228

Porkchop228 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Biloxi,MS
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4X4 9" LIFT W/35'S
    6" Fabtech and 3" body lift with gap guards, 315-75-16 BFGoodrich A/T, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar, LED Duallies, UWS black lo-pro toolbox, black nerf bars, K&N intake, Sportsman Camo Covers front and rear in Mossy Oak Break-up, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    Had the same exact problem with my 06 tacoma 3 years ago but it didn't die in there. The following year it worked itself out and by that I mean a snake had found its way in there and eaten the mouse and apparently once the mouse was eaten it couldn't get back out until it had digested it and shed its skin. Yeah not a pleasant surprise to find a handful of snake skin on top of the cabin filter. I got one more for you guys. My wife has an 11' 4runner and we had the same issue with it a mouse had found its way to the cabin filter and died but she neglected to tell me about the god awful smell for a whole week because she said and I quote "eventually the smell just goes away". I said no it doesn't work that way, you just get used to the smell. Found a nice big nest on top of the filter along with the dead mouse.

12. Feb 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    What the hell is a Hamlet?

Products Discussed in

To Top