1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much larger fenders do I need?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SteveoATC, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Feb 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    SteveoATC

SteveoATC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    OME 885 coils with Dakar leafs in back, 17" XD Addicts, 33" Hankook Dynapros, BAMF bolt on sliders with kickout
    So I have a 2012 with OME 885s up front for about 2.75" lift. I'm running some 285 hankook dynapro MTs, as well as 17" XD addicts.

The rims + tires stick out a lot, and has greatly reduced the travel of my wheels. If I hit a dip fast and hard enough, I hit my stock flares. How do I accurately determine the size rise/flare I need when shopping for new fender flares?

2. Feb 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
  3. Feb 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    My guess is he is hitting the cab mount and mistaking it for rubbing on the fenders. Do some trimming of the fender wells, the inner fender, pinch weld....and while you are at it, get yourself a cab mount chop and your issues should be solved.

4. Feb 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    SteveoATC

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    OME 885 coils with Dakar leafs in back, 17" XD Addicts, 33" Hankook Dynapros, BAMF bolt on sliders with kickout
    Had socalduckslayer do the cmc, and he said he trimmed out everything he could. I am fairly certain it's hitting the flares, but I will double check (with pics) later.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Feb 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    SteveoATC

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    I show about 5.5" of clearance between the top of my tread and the fender flare (worked out to be 5.5 once I straightened the wheels out). The inside of the wheel well looks really clean to me.

The tire itself sticks out about 2.5 inches away from the flare, so when I hit a good sized bump, that makes my suspension compress to 5.5 inches or more, I am hitting that flare with the tire, and the force of the truck coming down on it. It is only a matter of time before I break them off :)

So I am wanting to stop the tires from smacking the flare by replacing them, but I am unsure of how big I need to go. Suggestions?

image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image_2.jpg

6. Feb 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    You might need like glassworks fender??

Or a smaller tire.. I'm pretty sure that your suspension travel should be around 8-9 inches and assuming that some of that travel is used up by the weight of the truck, you shouldn't need more than 7 inches for your wheels to compress so you could try a new flair if it would give you another 2 inches of clearance..

I'm not sure that I've heard of just replacing the flairs though? You might need to cut your flairs out and trim all that rubber inside the wheel well, or just get like glassworks Long Travel fenders and no liner.

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    SteveoATC

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    I think bushwackers are flares that get added on to the factory fender and glassworks are whole replacement fenders that include extra rise and flare in the design. At least that's what I think >.>

I guess I am still wondering how *big* I need to go. How big of a rise do I need? How wide of a flare? I like to go off roading, and this problem has basically crippled my offroading because it keeps hitting the fender on compression.

8. Feb 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    SteveoATC

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    Bump for some advice!

9. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you really can't hack anymore out of your fenders/flares and your bump stops are tall enough (ie you aren't bottoming out your shocks) Then just get some fiberglass fenders. I like the glassworks ones.

These are the 4" flare 3" rise ones with some 285 tires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top