Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front end "clunking" feeling

Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Front end "clunking" feeling

I noticed that when I took my truck 4wheeling the other day that when I drove over some 2-3" rocks and such that there was a clunking coming through the steering wheel. This wasn't there before so I was wondering what you guys think it is. I was almost thinking it has something to do with my spacer lift causing wear and play in something since i've heard negative things about them. Any ideas what it may be? Steering linkage? UCA? Steering shaft?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Steering shaft maybe. could be you tires rubbing against the inside of the well.

Power steering???
Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nothing to do with my tires. They're good. Its definitely something loose or worn.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #4

bumpity.......
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I once lost the nut off the bolt that holds the upper arm in. It sounded like that. The bolts are installed at an angle, so it may stay in place, but be loose, causing the "clank". I replaced the nut and good as new.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
same symptoms on my truck. I have been over everything and cannot find squat. I may take it to the stealers some time soon if i dont find what it is. I think I've pinpointed the pop/clank sound to the front passenger side.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Front end clunks can be hard to trace sometimes, can you have someone drive while you sit in the passenger side, the noise resonating though the steering wheel may be fooling you.

I once cracked a weld on a passenger side shock mount and had a hell of of time trying to track it down since the shocks seemed fine when I grabbed them and only clunked when under load that i could feel through the steering when going over bumps
Old 02-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
jack up the front of the truck..Grab wheel, and shake side to side and top to bottom. See if theres anything loose in the suspension
Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #9

all good info guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
jack up the front of the truck..Grab wheel, and shake side to side and top to bottom. See if theres anything loose in the suspension
I tried to do this a little when I swapped my regular tires back from my winter ones, everything seemed tight and fine. Only problem is, my UCA contacts my coil on full droop so I think that that would hold tension and hold it from moving any.

I guess I'll wash the mud out of the wheel wells and check over all the bolts and stuff too just to make sure. I was kinda wondering if this may be a UCA ball joint issue from over extension from the lift but I don't really know. If that were the case i guess I'd have to get a new set of UCAs