1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Checked the oil on my new 09 Taco and...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmed99, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Feb 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    you don't have to have the dealer to the service to keep the warranty, as long as you service records showing you did the services you are ok, don't let the dealer tell that crap. I will never get another aftermarket warranty again. fill with 5.5 and check, if it is low then keep adding.

2. Feb 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    mbryan44

mbryan44 Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco DBL TRD Sport
    Hey jmed.... I also have an 09 Taco with about 1500 miles on it. Interesting find with the oil level. Can I ask you if you notice any engine tick during acceleration when driving your new taco? I have noticed alot of forums regarding this "tick" but none relating to 09s. I have already brought mine back to the dealer and they said it was normal Valve Train noise but it's driving me crazy.

Thankfully during my visit I did have them fix that annoying vibration caused by wires behind the glovebox. That fix was posted in another forum and made me extremly happy. If i could just get the engine tick fixed now I would be 100 percent happy with my new Taco/

Taco - DBL TRD Sport

3. Feb 10, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    BUK 0H5

BUK 0H5 Still For Sale

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 2.7L Manual AccessCab SR5 PreRunner
    Removed Mud Flaps, Suspension TSB, 5100's all around, JVC KW-AVX710 Head Unit with Metra surround.
    As I have just found out, yes they do. More apropritely I think it is the DS tubes that suck ass. As you pull the stick out oil clings inside the tube and the when you put the stick in and pull it out again you have oil as much as halfway up the stick. Someone else mentioned taking sandpaper and roughing up the stick, so I took that concept and used my dremel to lightly score the area between the dots. It helped a little bit.

As far as quantity is concerned, with my 2.7 I poured about a half quart out of a 5qt jug into the filter then dumped the rest into the engine. at that point the oil showed exactly at the top dot. I ran the engine for about 3 mins and rechecked and it showed exactly at the bottom dot. I added about a half qt out of a 1qt bottle and taking the above mentioned suckiness of the dip stick into account I think I am about right in the middle of the dots with 5.5qts. I am letting it sit far a few mins and I will check again.

As a side note the filter that Toyota put on there from the assy. line was installed by Godzilla. I had to take to the old screwdriver through the side of the filter trick to get it loose.

4. Feb 10, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    Fredneck

Fredneck Active Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7L Tacoma
    BONE STOCK for now
    I find it rather humorous that the smaller 2.7L engine holds more oil than the 4.0L, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :D

5. Feb 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    jmed99

jmed99 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    I didn''t buy the warranty it was free with my truck. They actually told me I could do it myself but how do you document it if you do it yourself? Sure I can show that I bought the oil and filter from autozone but that doesn't mean I actually changed it in my truck...for all they know I put it in my wife's blazer.

I'm just afraid they wont honor it when the time comes if the records are not bulletproof. :eek:

6. Feb 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yeah. But given that the V6 sits differently than the 4, the oil pan needed to be the size it is in order for it to fit, thus the lower capacity.

7. Feb 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke

I put just over 5.5 in my 2005 2.7L and it's over the fill line, the manual says 6.1 but that seems like a lot when you look at the dipstick and it's wayyy over the line. When I had Toyota do the oil change, those dumb M********** only put 5 quarts in so I'm confused.

8. Feb 13, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    wawireguy

wawireguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Last time I did a oil change on my 2.7L 2008 it took 5 quarts to bring it to the top dot on the dip stick. I checked it a bunch of times. Best way to really see it is to check it after the truck has sat for a night. I suspect the 6qt spec is for when the engine is new and has no oil in it. I figure it has the other quart inside the engine.

9. Feb 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I just changed mine and BUK 0H5 is correct...Gozilla did put on that filter. I didn't have to use a screwdriver but it was close.

My questions is, I bought my filter from Autozone. The filter that they looked up for my truck (2009 V6) is not as long as the original one that came from the factory. Is this right?

10. Feb 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    The aftermarket filters for the V6 and the 4 are the same. From Toyota I believe they use a larger filter on the V6. You'll be fine, just make sure you use a quality filter.

Products Discussed in

To Top