1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for those with an offroad bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gimmick, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Gimmick

Gimmick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad DCSB
    No doubt...i hear ya. I suppose some of it is that the idea of it is planted in my head..the bumper, that is. But see, this is why i posted....get some proper feedback. Appreciate it fellas.

2. Feb 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I've seen people run plate bumpers with no lift the life of their vehicles. A set of good tires is a lot better than a lift, your truck in stock form is pretty capable.

3. Feb 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    IronCladTRD

IronCladTRD Consistently Irregular

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin
    Hotel California
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Manual V6 3.4L
    5100s/Eibach 3" lift, All-Pro Expo rear leafs, Elite front bumper & sliders, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, 33x10.5r15 BFG All terrains, Ultra Rogue 15x8 rims, homemade bed rack, Midland 1001z CB radio Deckplate mod, Century shell, train horn, debadged
    I got a bumper before I lifted it. Not long before though. I think you're better off with a lift personally. Offroading is about 2 things and 2 things only: Traction and clearance.

4. Feb 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    I think the aluminum armor is more of a fad. I saw a whole lot of it popping up for a while and now it seems to have died off.

Honestly though, after rereading the initial post. If you think you're not going to wheel anything rough then you might be fine with aluminum. BUT I'm almost certain that aluminum is going to cost you a much larger chunk of mulah. I'm not too familiar with 2nd Gen Taco's but I know on the 1st gens there isn't much room in the front to play around with. Bump into something and in goes the fan into the radiator lol. So on our old 96 we had at least a brush guard just to give it a little extra protection even for daily driving.

Or you could just go with a type of tube bumper, still fairly heavy but not as heavy as plate. I don't think you're going to die if you don't upgrade the suspension, but it just won't be very happy.

5. Feb 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I was pretty much in the same situation as you. I wanted the aluminum for weight reduction and also for rust resistance. At the end i went with steel for the "better safe than sorry" measure. Aluminum is strong, but at the end of the day if it bends or something goes wrong, the whole thing is toast. Where with steel, it can be reworked and fixed.

As for suspension, because im going with OME and not adjustable coilovers, i have to wait for my bumper to install in order not to get too much lift. Im going with Relentless fab so this is going to take a while but works on in the long run.

Good luck with your descision :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top