1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

worried about abs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dunwurguy, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    dunwurguy

dunwurguy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma 4x4 sr5
    I would like to disconnect my ABS brakes as I'm worried they may get me in an accident on slippery ( icy ) roads . There should be a recall on my 2011 Tacoma 4x4 . These are dangerous . Toyota tell me my brakes are fine ( yeah right ) . Can I just pull the fuse to disconnect . Will this cause any problems ? My wife refuses to drive this "accident waiting to happen pickup " . I would dump this truck if I hadn't paid so much for it in the first place and would take a huge loss . Word has gotten around about these trucks .

2. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  3. Feb 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    To preface: I love my truck, I feel as save as one can be in a vehicle.

Yes most agree that the ABS is sensitive. I have installed a switch to trick the ABS system into turning off (Landphils method), for Off-Road and emergency purposes. I never would think of driving around daily with it turned off. Whatever you decide there are threads on here for the various models and configurations of trucks to safely disable the ABS (use the "Search TW with Google" for better results). [Crom beat me to it]

There are a lot of things you can try before you disable it.
    - I would start with Tires, if you have the stock ones on ditch those. I will leave it up to you and your northern wisdom to decide on suitable tires for the conditions.
    - Change your air pressure
    - Bleed your brake lines
    - Adjust your driving style

:evil:I am also in no way insulting your driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top