Notices

No more cleats due to tanneau...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
I like my truck!
1tacoplease is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT - ret.
1tacoplease's Tacoma Gallery
No more cleats due to tanneau...

Anyone have any recomendations on extra tie downs or D rings? I move a lot of furniture and have a motorcycle. I was reading on the extra D-rings on cheap free mods but am a little bit skeptical.
HELP!!! I still want to use my truck... as a truck!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
I saw a few other people asking this. I have the Access Limited Edition soft tonneau and I have full access to the rail system and cleats. Access uses a set of spacers to allow full use of the rail system.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I saw a few other people asking this. I have the Access Limited Edition soft tonneau and I have full access to the rail system and cleats. Access uses a set of spacers to allow full use of the rail system.
+1. I was stoked when I put I all back together and they work great!!

The D Ring mod is do-able- Use a large enough plate under the bed you'll be fine.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
I like my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
I already have the Bakflip G2. I was really happy with the looks and funcoinality (is that a word?) well, with the way it functions ( how easily it folds up ) but was disappionted when I tried to strap something down and realized I only have the 2 rear D rings to tie down to.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
doesnt toyota makes 2 different sizes in the clets?i think i heard that. mine fit under my access cover with no problem. i assume you have the bigger ones.(i bet you dont hear that too much...lol)
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
I like my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
doesnt toyota makes 2 different sizes in the clets?i think i heard that. mine fit under my access cover with no problem. i assume you have the bigger ones.(i bet you dont hear that too much...lol)
I can't use cleats anymore because of my tonneau, unless there is some sort of bracket that you all have heard of? What are the other ways to add D-rings?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tacoplease View Post
I can't use cleats anymore because of my tonneau, unless there is some sort of bracket that you all have heard of? What are the other ways to add D-rings?
did you have to take off the track system???? i didnt have to on mine
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I have additonal stock D-rings under my front bed bolts. Solid as a rock! You will definitely need a breaker bar to loosen them up. Use some locktite when you put it back together. Most useful mod I have done to my truck...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
I like my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
did you have to take off the track system???? i didnt have to on mine
I used the track system to mount the tonneau, so it elimated the whole rail! It gives it a flush look but takes away from the tie downs.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
I like my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
ya if you order them up from the one site on the cheap free mods"
you get 5 of them
so i left the two in the back and did the 4 others and it is easy to secure anything now !
also carry a few ratcheting straps i got cheap with a 600 pound load cheap
at harbor freight)
I did order the rope rings from the online cheap free mods. I just don't like the fact that I have to drill a bigger hole, cut the washers, and drill the threads to take out the washers. I ordered the D-rings to do it, but just looking for alternative ways to do this.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone have any recomendations on extra tie downs or D rings? I move a lot of furniture and have a motorcycle. I was reading on the extra D-rings on cheap free mods but am a little bit skeptical.
HELP!!! I still want to use my truck... as a truck!
What kind/brand of tonneau did you get?

Extra d rings mounted under the bed bolts will give you all the tie down points you should need.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it with a file in 30 seconds even. It isn't hard at all to grind those threads under the bolt head off.

The D ring hole is easy to drill if you have a vise. I don't so I actually used a tap and die kit to do it. Had each hole large enough inside of 5 minutes. A little work to save money plus it keeps me off the streets and slinging crack.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
I like my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
ok you do have to drill the d ring hole a bit bigger
but if you have a hand grinder in less than 30 sec you can get the washer off the bolt ! then just put it back with the d ring on top , don't have to cut the washer at all !

take out one bed bolt and you will see what i mean, they put one small raised ridge up where no threads are to keep the washer on the bolt, and with a cheap $10 grinder from harbor freight took about 30 sec a bolt !
hell i don't even have full use of arms and legs and i did all 4 of them(remove,mod,install) in less than 1 1/2 hours you can do it in less
Okay, I'll do it. I have a dremel, but don't have a tork-55 wrench and don't know how to drill a bigger hole. What did you do? What size do i have to drill the D-ring hole to?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I just drilled and kept test fitting until the bolt fit. You need a Torx 55, though. And, if you don't have an impact gun which you really need for this, be careful with that breaker bar because those bolts are easy to strip. Oh, and DO NOT CROSSTHREAD THE BOLTS because the bolts are $12 each from the dealer. Go ahead and guess how I know this...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
I like my truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Honestly, I just drilled and kept test fitting until the bolt fit. You need a Torx 55, though. And, if you don't have an impact gun which you really need for this, be careful with that breaker bar because those bolts are easy to strip. Oh, and DO NOT CROSSTHREAD THE BOLTS because the bolts are $12 each from the dealer. Go ahead and guess how I know this...
Thanks for the info but what is cross threading the bolts?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the info but what is cross threading the bolts?
You ever replace a spark plug and when you went to put the new one in its place it threaded ok at first but then you noticed it was getting harder to keep threading in and when you pulled the socket wrench off the new plug it looked like it was threaded in at an angle?.....