Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

"Wandering front end" feeling + Other Issues

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
LabradorBoy is on a distinguished road
LabradorBoy's Tacoma Gallery
"Wandering front end" feeling + Other Issues

I have a 2009 4wd DC SB that is nearing 100k km's and works well, but I have a few brief questions that I would appreciate some direction with, I've come up with a few dead end searches:

(1) My steering feels like it wanders, i.e. my steering seems to have some play between the steering wheel and the wheels themselves. I have briefly inspected the outer tie rods (it's still Winter here so lots of snow and slush on everything) and I cannot see any obvious play there. Are there any common problems with the 2nd gen regarding a lack of steering "feel"?

(2) My engine is really ticky! Between the throwout brg squeaks (URD kit is on my to do list), the cab fan chirps and the ticky engine this thing makes a crazy amount of annoying noise... good thing I like the truck! Are there any common causes of engine noise? Wondering if the EGR circuit or something may be the culprit, looking for a place to start looking.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
when was the last time you got it aligned?

these motors tick.. its the way they are.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
It was aligned about 2 yrs ago... I just ordered a set of 5100's in pursuit of a smoother ride, when I get them installed in a couple of weeks I'll go for the alignment as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need tie rod ends.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Ya, I was thinking that too. Are there inners and outers on these like on my 1st Gen?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabradorBoy View Post
I have a 2009 4wd DC SB that is nearing 100k km's and works well, but I have a few brief questions that I would appreciate some direction with, I've come up with a few dead end searches:

(1) My steering feels like it wanders, i.e. my steering seems to have some play between the steering wheel and the wheels themselves. I have briefly inspected the outer tie rods (it's still Winter here so lots of snow and slush on everything) and I cannot see any obvious play there. Are there any common problems with the 2nd gen regarding a lack of steering "feel"?

(2) My engine is really ticky! Between the throwout brg squeaks (URD kit is on my to do list), the cab fan chirps and the ticky engine this thing makes a crazy amount of annoying noise... good thing I like the truck! Are there any common causes of engine noise? Wondering if the EGR circuit or something may be the culprit, looking for a place to start looking.

Thanks for the help.
Before you spent anymoney. Tighten wheelbearings. It will take you an hour of your time and costs you nothing. See if you have wandering aftewards
Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Bearings are pressed in and no adjustment can be made..
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Bearings are pressed in and no adjustment can be made..
CV nut is what holds bearing toghether at spec. So it needs to be tighten to spec otherwise bearing and in turn wheel is allowed to move around.
Just try it OP see if it helps. it helped me on couple vehicles.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
CV nut is what holds bearing toghether at spec. So it needs to be tighten to spec otherwise bearing and in turn wheel is allowed to move around.
Just try it OP see if it helps. it helped me on couple vehicles.
If that is the case then the bearing itself is toast. Its just how it is with these bearings
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
If that is the case then the bearing itself is toast. Its just how it is with these bearings
Bearing maybe toast or may have little wear. He will not know until he checks. If truck wanders I would star with that. No point doing alignment on bearings not holding the wheel straight. Both my Toyotas had the same thing and tightening bearings fixed. trucks drove like new. If bearing is toast it will need replacement but no point spending on shocks and alignments if bearings need replacing.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Idk if Toyota does this, but Hondas need their steering rack adjusted after some wear and tear. Theyre designed to be adjusted and it's easy to do, YMMV with a Tacoma.

Did you check the tie rods by jacking the truck up and wiggling the tire?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #12
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Something else easy to inspect, and there is sort of a TSB a bit related is the steering intermediate shaft. This is a short shaft with u joints near the firewall. The TSB deals with knocking. My 2010 did have the knocking feel in the steering but also had problems returning to center.

I believe, but could be wrong that this shaft is also a slip joint with universals. I honestly don't remember. Easy to get to, easy to inspect for freeplay. Not saying it is the answer but might be worth a look.

PK