Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st time Tacoma Owner...but problems with MPG!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Take out the k&N filter, clean the MAF, and put in an AFE pro dry filter. The oil on k&n filters can contaminate the maf. Synthetic oils and tire pressure like he said. I hate getting stuck in bean town traffic, kills my milage pretty good. And howdy from the cape!
X2 I did this and started getting 21mpg
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #22
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Tacomas get shitty gas milage..
Old 03-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #23
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Scangage or Ultragage to watch your instantaneous mileage. That will take care of the driving habits side of things.
A dirty MAF sensor could also be the culprit from the K&N. Before you replace the K&N I would clean the MAF sensor and see if the mileage goes up. It may have been the initial oiling that got it dirty.
Most of the time it seems like the bed caps are roughly break even on mileage, so I doubt that is dropping you 5mpg.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #24
TexasCub is on a distinguished road
TexasCub's Tacoma Gallery
Take that stupid K&N filter out, they are junk! Drive it for a few tanks and then report back.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrules View Post
Tacomas get shitty gas milage..
Not 14-15 mpg in a 4 cylinder.. I think the op has something else going on..
Old 03-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #26
TacoBella is on a distinguished road

Navy: Naval Aviator, EC-10, C-3, 737 on and on...
TacoBella's Tacoma Gallery
Oops wrong thread...But My take is its a truck, MPGs should only be relevant on a Prius
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #27
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
I think that we need to have a sticky to when it comes to the MPG of Tacoma's. I figured it would keep down the majority of MPG threads that we already have on this board. It seems with every new member, there is a MPG thread that comes up. Just sayin'.
I think we need a sticky to remind members not to be offended when a new member asks a question that's been asked before. Just sayin'.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBella View Post
Oops wrong thread...But My take is its a truck, MPGs should only be relevant on a Prius
Brilliant
Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agree... but if most folks in a 4 cyl. Taco get 20-25 mpg, you got to wonder why he is only getting 15 mpg, right? 15 mpg is all I get if I am doing only city (stop and go) driving... but I have a double cab 4WD V-6. Once I get on the highway and cruise... my mileage instantly improves to 17-19 mpg.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #30
TacoBella is on a distinguished road

Navy: Naval Aviator, EC-10, C-3, 737 on and on...
TacoBella's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Agree... but if most folks in a 4 cyl. Taco get 20-25 mpg, you got to wonder why he is only getting 15 mpg, right? 15 mpg is all I get if I am doing only city (stop and go) driving... but I have a double cab 4WD V-6. Once I get on the highway and cruise... my mileage instantly improves to 17-19 mpg.
With all due respect, I don't have to wonder why he is getting 15MPG. I usually don't read MPG threads or concern myself with fuel economy on my truck but I mis-posted so I had to offer something.

There are too many variables to troubleshoot fuel economy inconsistencies in any fueled engine. Weather conditions, Altitude, Geographic terrain, Driving habits, Tire pressure, road conditions, Acceleration, Stop and go incidence, braking, trip distances. I would bet those who live in San Francisco replace brakes more often and get worse fuel economy than one who lives in Texas.

Fuel economy is a very sticky subject with too many variables. KIA is getting sued for misrepresenting theirs. In any case my "advice" would be to take it to someone who fixes these for a livelihood, If there is a legitimate cause and effect, a mechanic will find it in these computerized vehicles using error logging. Anything other than that has to be habitual or environmental.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #31
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With all due respect, I don't have to wonder why he is getting 15MPG. I usually don't read MPG threads or concern myself with fuel economy on my truck but I mis-posted so I had to offer something.

There are too many variables to troubleshoot fuel economy inconsistencies. Weather conditions, Altitude, Geographic terrain, Driving habits, Tire pressure, road conditions, Acceleration, braking, trip distances. I would bet those who live in San Francisco replace brakes more often and get worse fuel economy than one who lives in Texas.

Fuel economy is a very sticky subject with too many variables. KIA is getting sued for misrepresenting theirs. In any case if there is a legitimate cause and effect, a mechanic will find it in these computerized vehicles using error logging. Anything other than that has to be habitual or environmental.
You are 100% correct!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #32
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
I can drive and get 12-14 or 20 w/ a 4WD. All depends on the pressure I put on the pedal....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #33
Eightball is on a distinguished road

Eightball's Tacoma Gallery
I think its the traffic man. I get 12-13 mpg with my V6. Spend 90% of my time driving in and around the city.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #34
BikPickle is on a distinguished road
Marines: SSgt
Name: Nick
BikPickle's Tacoma Gallery
You are in Boston Mass. Everyone's mpg goes to crap in the winter, even hybrids and electrics. The K&N was probably a bad call if you are concerned about MPG. Keep in mind, more cold dense air means the computer has to add more fuel to maintain the air-fuel mixture. You probably spend more time warming up your truck and idling too. Boston Traffic... Do I even need to say it!? Wicked retădded. Add that to the crappy winter blend gasohol and presto... Crappy MPG.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #35
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
also the extra weight of the cap in the city kills mpg
Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #36
jimbowie is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
jimbowie's Tacoma Gallery
2007 v6 2wd

On the freeways I gt 22mpg drivng 65 to 75 mph.
Just did a compete tune up transmison fluid change and rear end lub change hpe tha make it get better mileage.
Also thinking about. GF Performance Chip Kit for the TOYOTA TACOMA
jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
that was a mistake it's an SR5. Now you know I'm new to Toyota. It's pisser right now, because my 2003 f150 with 4.6 was getting better gas mileage then I am now. I'm not swapping my k and n, I just dropped 60 bucks, and I never heard of it hurting gas. I don't know how to check odometer with tires spinning but judging on going to work in my f150 as compared to my new Tacoma the f150 is doing the same if not better then this 4cyl. In hindsight, I should have bought the V6...shame on me for wanting to save on gas. I could care less about power. Right now, I just feel like telling toyota to take it back and give me the bigger motor.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie View Post
Also thinking about. GF Performance Chip Kit for the TOYOTA TACOMA
jim
Snake oil, don't do it.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
The Riddler is on a distinguished road

The Riddler's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the help and insight.

Went out to Central Mass tonight and had some positive results. The only mods I did was remove the charcoal secondary filter and added a K and N Filter. I filled up with sunoco 94 @ 4.00 bucks a gallon. I also checked the tire pressure and made it 30 psi. I drove 133.7 miles on 6.53 gallons for a an average of 20.47 MPG. It was about 50% highway. This is the best I got so far. I don't know if it was playing with the filters or sunoco 94 or tire PSI....Now it's back to city driving for about 60% of the upcoming work week. I will report back with averages.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #39
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
K&N air filters are not that bad I used one in my old Camry and it got great mileage with it plus it all depends on how heavy you oil it
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #40

Your I4 does not benefit from higher octane, waste of money.

It also doesn't benefit from any intake mods for mpg.

What was the tire pressure? That's the 1 thing you mentioned that certainly was hurting you if low. Try even higher than 30 psi.

Highway driving is always good for mpg, at legal speeds.

Topper usually makes it worse.