Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st time Tacoma Owner...but problems with MPG!

Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #41
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
Newbie here. Thanks for all the information here on the forums. I finally sold and traded in my 2003 rusted f150 and a 1999 subaru outback and put the funds towards a new 2013 blue taco i4 4x4 access cab during the Presidents Day sale here in Massachusetts. Everyone drives Taco's out here so I figured I would give one a shot. Pleasure to work with the sales people from Toyota. They pulled no crap and gave me fair value for the f150 trade in that was in poor shape.

I put on the K and N filter and bought a truck cap. I have 500 miles on the truck but I'm getting killed on gas. I'm wondering if it's the cap I put on? Also winter Gas term was new to me and I found great info here on it. But I'm getting only 14.66 to 15.23 miles per gallon out of a 4cyl auto. I don't know what's supposed to be normal. Is it a break in period that sucks up the gas or is the winter blend? I read up on removing the charcoal filter and I'm ready to do it if it will help. I will add that 90% of driving is in the city of boston with about 20 miles a day on the mass pike cruising at 65 heading to work. Should I bring the truck back for some sort adjustment?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
if you start the truck in AM and let it warm up, it eats like over a pint of gas an hour.... also sitting in traffic eats gas.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #42
shredgar1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Edgar
shredgar1's Tacoma Gallery
90% of your mpg is determined from your right foot. keep the rpms under 2.5k on highway/freeway driving. for city driving, ease into the gas pedal from stops. just drive slower. itll feel less manly, but your wallet will thank you.

and also give it some time, your truck is new, things have to break in and such. id say around 7-8k miles and 2-3 oil changes and youll start seeing better numbers.

my 2.7 AC prerunner has 32s and an afe pro dry filter and i get 19-21mpg pretty much anywhere.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #43
The Riddler is on a distinguished road

The Riddler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Your I4 does not benefit from higher octane, waste of money.

It also doesn't benefit from any intake mods for mpg.
Talk about raining on someones parade. lol...

I'm gonna stick with what works for now. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikPickle View Post
You are in Boston Mass.
I'm pretty sure I'm aware I live in Boston. In case you missed it, look up the central artery project....to be honest we don't have traffic like we use to in the 70's 80's and 90's since the completion of project...even though the Panels fell out and killed an innocent person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredgar1 View Post
90% of your mpg is determined from your right foot. .
If I sit in traffic and fly around all day with a heavy foot, I'm not coming here to complain about gas mileage and ask for tips to improve it.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #45

Quote:
You are in Boston Mass. Everyone's mpg goes to crap in the winter, even hybrids and electrics. The K&N was probably a bad call if you are concerned about MPG. Keep in mind, more cold dense air means the computer has to add more fuel to maintain the air-fuel mixture. You probably spend more time warming up your truck and idling too. Boston Traffic... Do I even need to say it!? Wicked retădded. Add that to the crappy winter blend gasohol and presto... Crappy MPG.
I don't feel using a K and N filter was bad choice for me. It's part of the solution package for right now, and I'm sticking with it. I start up the truck and go. No warm up no electric start. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #46

Thread closed...thanks for all the help men and woman.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #47
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
threads still open..
Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #48
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #49
MadMan is on a distinguished road

MadMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not coming here to complain about gas mileage and ask for tips to improve it.

Hmmm, your thread title says "Problems with MPG".

You got great advices, including problem with your K&N filter and tire pressure.
You chose to ignore that and leave K&N in, as well as adjust your tires to 30psi (which means they were low to start with and it should of been the first thing you checked if your milage was that bad).

So you came in to complain, yet when people told you what your problem was, you pretty much told everyone to fuck off and end of story.

We are all looking forward to have you as a member, for many years to come....buddy.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #50
BikPickle is on a distinguished road
Marines: SSgt
Name: Nick
BikPickle's Tacoma Gallery
^^^this
OP, your posts are making you seem like a troll and an Askhole. You mad bro?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #51

Quote:
^^^this
OP, your posts are making you seem like a troll and an Askhole. You mad bro?
lol...I just got here to Taco World. Too early for flame war, maybe later?

I save my anger for bigger stuff...this is not it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #52
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Start by listening to other member's recommendations!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde780 View Post
Start by listening to other member's recommendations!
I did, charcoal filters out, tires checked, members here suggested K&N (I've used K&N), and I used a premium gas. All this information was in Tacoma world and it helped. There is an improvement, thank you Tacoma World.

The rest of the extracurricular is funny.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 AM   #54
Mudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
Mudfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did, charcoal filters out, tires checked, members here suggested K&N (I've used K&N), and I used a premium gas. All this information was in Tacoma world and it helped. There is an improvement, thank you Tacoma World.

The rest of the extracurricular is funny.
Don't be afraid to go up a couple more psi in the tires, I have been running my stock tires at 34# for 9000 miles with no problems including towing my 20' boat between Albany NY and Plymouth MA several times. I too have an I-4 with automatic. I get about 18-19 in town and about 23-24 highway.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #55
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1st gen tacoma 4x4 with the V6. I always lead foot it in town and never get that low of gas mileage so I am of no help to you.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #56
blitz is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
blitz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! Tough to do 52...we would get killed out here on the pike! lol
i got pulled over last night on the pike for doing 73
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #57
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Do the chalk test to find the best pressure for even tire wear... over-inflate and the center of the tire will be more worn. I ran on the high end for the type of tires I had, and adjusted down a bit after I did the chalk test... now my tires are probably wearing even, but the centers are more worn from the first 16,000 miles I put on them. My gas mileage was unchanged from running them 5 psi over where they are set now.

Chalk Test: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...000-miles.html
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #58
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
As a few others here have mentioned, the first couple of tanks are poor. My milage improved after the first K mile.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #59
Billyj870m9 is on a distinguished road
Billyj870m9's Tacoma Gallery
Even with winter gas I just got 19.8 miles per gallon my last tank. Granted most miles were highway but I think still pretty good.

The worst I ever got was 15 mpg and it was all city stop and go and with letting truck idle to stay warm. Still onto bad for being the worst.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #60

Good info thanks guys!