Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Loud hissing sound

Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
thumpertx is on a distinguished road
thumpertx's Tacoma Gallery
Loud hissing sound

NEW Tacoma, 6 cyl, tow package. When the engine is turned off there is a lous hissing [air sucking] sound just after the motor dies. It comes from the engine compartment, passanger side, in front of the firewall from a part covered in a large black plastic cap.

This vehicle was just driven home from the dealership, but they are closed.

Any ideas
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Normal . Forget About it.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Tacoma Mike... Thanks for the quick feedback. Can you tell me what causes the hissing or what it is a part of? Thanks again.
thumpertx
Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
It's something to do with the air pump for the emissions on the truck. They started that with the 2012 model year.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Smog pump aka emissions thingy..sucks air out of something..lol
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpertx View Post
Tacoma Mike... Thanks for the quick feedback. Can you tell me what causes the hissing or what it is a part of? Thanks again.
thumpertx
It's Uncle Sam Emmisions. They added air pumps and valveing so you hear the "Burp" on shutdown. We have had almost everyone say something about this on a test ride the first time they got in it. On my 2011 the big thing was the abs check on the first take off. It's always something. Wait till you walk by it at night and it starts making noise . Hehehehe.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
It's totally normal. It weirded me out too when I got my 2013 because my 2011 Tacoma didn't do it.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Thanks for the assurance guys. I was a tad panicked when I first got home and turned the truck off.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
It's Uncle Sam Emmisions. They added air pumps and valveing so you hear the "Burp" on shutdown. We have had almost everyone say something about this on a test ride the first time they got in it. On my 2011 the big thing was the abs check on the first take off. It's always something. Wait till you walk by it at night and it starts making noise . Hehehehe.
Kind of like when my SC inter cooler pump randomly cycles.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the best thread about it that I know about.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...shuts-off.html