Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma won't disengage from 4w drive

Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
That's a bet I wouldn't take.
J, you'd better be a 2H-4H-4L shiftin' mofo and make sure it's ok before it doesn't work when you really need it.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I'm willing to bet the actuator or shift rails hung up and the switch was fine.
Does seem a wee bit suspicious hammer blows were needed to disengage what electrical current should. If it was truly just the switch, then simply replacing the switch and USING it should have disengaged the 4WD.

I'm wondering where the hammer blows were directed and what type of hammer.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #23
bugaboocaillier is on a distinguished road
Name: J
bugaboocaillier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
Does seem a wee bit suspicious hammer blows were needed to disengage what electrical current should. If it was truly just the switch, then simply replacing the switch and USING it should have disengaged the 4WD.

I'm wondering where the hammer blows were directed and what type of hammer.

While im not a mechanic, I know it wasn't a regular hammer. Unfortunetaly they did not have the switch in stock to replace it right away. We are still waiting for the part and hence have a loaner . We were told something about the "solenoid" is being replaced as well.....Again its all covered under the warranty. Thank god.
BTW, we live in the north, so winter is not over for at least another month, and since my hubby is in the trades field - we do use the 2w- 4w quite often.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
The shift rails on the Tacoma cases tend to bind up sometimes. I would not doubt if OPs problem comes back shortly
The transfer case is fine, and they were able to tell the "shifting" for 4w is broken in nicely...LOL ( Considering since we have had the truck) 75% of the time its in 4w Drive. ( let me tell you it loves the gas in 4W)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it was done properly. There's a big difference between wailing away with a 3lb rock hammer, and using a deadblow hammer and ballpeen hammer & punch to apply the right amount of force to the correct spot. Fortunately, the OP should have a lot of warranty period left to confirm everything is ok.

I can tell you it wasn't a3 lb rock hammer, my hubby has one of those and would of been livid had they used one.