Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Tacoma won't disengage from 4w drive

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
bugaboocaillier is on a distinguished road
Name: J
bugaboocaillier's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma won't disengage from 4w drive

We have had the truck for 6 months and use the 4w drive function often. As we get snow from October on- It get used quite often.
We ahd a snow storm today of 30cm + anyways we cannot get it out of 4W low back to 4h or 2 W. We have tried everything in the manual, including trying to reverse) Help? We will ahve to bring it in to the dealer in the morning as driving under 30km/hr isn not an option. Is there any ideas as to what would cause this? Or any extra tips that can be applied
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Put in neutral, stop truck, push and turn to 2wd doesn't work?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
It's gotta go back into 4H before 2H.

OP have you tried turning slightly one way or the other while driving forward or backwards?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to the other suggestions, try lifting the front wheels off the ground. It's possible the transfer case is in a really bad bind and won't shift until the torque is released. This would most likely happen if the truck had been driven and turned on dry pavement while in 4WD.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
It's gotta go back into 4H before 2H.

OP have you tried turning slightly one way or the other while driving forward or backwards?
My mistake
Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Can't spell class without...
JT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shedJT Class is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Since 2009.
Name: JT
JT Class's Tacoma Gallery
I believe your tires need to have decend traction to switch back, try looking for a dry spot of road, stop but in reverse then fwd then try switching. Happened to me earlier this year during a snow storm. I got angry reved in neutral a bit (not too much) then put her in reverse. Instantly heard it un-lock. Of course i wouldnt recommened doing this 50 times, but gets ya out of a sticky situation or less of.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
Thanks for the input. We tried switching from 4W low back to 4 W high as suggested in neutral, Considering we have had the snow..the roads are still not very clear, to try and shift on dry spot on the road.We even tried the reversing, it is still stuck. We orginally had it in 4W high but when it woudlnt disengage back to 2w after reversing and all the tricks in the manual, we thought to try engaging in 4 low which it shifted, no problem but now thats why its now stuck in 4w low. It has been towed to the dealer. I just hope its covered under the warranty, as the toyato assistance mechanic tried and it still wont disengage
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did that 2 or 3 times when it was new the only way I was able to get it to work was to remove the battery cable then replace it dealer played with could not find any thing. It would not come out of 4X4 no matter what I tried and it has never done it since got about 30K on it now.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Mine did that 2 or 3 times when it was new the only way I was able to get it to work was to remove the battery cable then replace it dealer played with could not find any thing. It would not come out of 4X4 no matter what I tried and it has never done it since got about 30K on it now.

Good to know, but I still have at least 20K to go before I hit 30 . LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
bluedust is on a distinguished road
Name: Patrick
bluedust's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy 4x4 Light Flashing will not Turn Off?

So, my 4x4 low red light comes on last night, without me engaging the system.
It's still flashing this morning, tried to switch to 4x4 high and low but no good still flashing.

Called Dealer and they can't see it till Monday.

Any issues with me continuing to drive it, and is there anything I can do till then?

Just thought I'd put the question out there,,,

Would of, Could of, Should of, because if your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle
Old 03-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ If it is not in 4wd, you should be fine to drive it.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedust View Post
So, my 4x4 low red light comes on last night, without me engaging the system.
It's still flashing this morning, tried to switch to 4x4 high and low but no good still flashing.

Called Dealer and they can't see it till Monday.

Any issues with me continuing to drive it, and is there anything I can do till then?

Just thought I'd put the question out there,,,

Would of, Could of, Should of, because if your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle
Red 4x4 light ? I am guessing you pressed locker button by accident.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Hmm?, not like I 've never done that before.

Should have a cover on the switch, like you would see covering a rocket launcher or something.

But that's never done anything before, service guy said something about the system just locking everything out,?

I will double check that, just in case.

Thanks for the input
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see a problem with it being stuck in 4wd. thats your truck telling you it wants to get down and dirty!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
Huh, so when I drive around with the locker button engaged the 4x4 red light blinks.

Because that's what happened, none of those buttons light up when they are pushed in.

Must have turned the fogs on didn't realize I pushed the locker switch, and the truck was trying to tell me something was wrong.

Maybe there is a mod out there, where a hand comes out of the dash slaps me up side the head, and gets my attention!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
So apparently the switch is fubbarbed, and a new one is being put in as we speak.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
What switch?
The actuator switch was faulty/ broken. They literaly had to use a hammer underneath the truck to manipulate it out oof 4W drive
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaboocaillier View Post
The actuator switch was faulty/ broken. They literaly had to use a hammer underneath the truck to manipulate it out oof 4W drive
Mechanics applying a hammer to truck?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Mechanics applying a hammer to truck?
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it was done properly. There's a big difference between wailing away with a 3lb rock hammer, and using a deadblow hammer and ballpeen hammer & punch to apply the right amount of force to the correct spot. Fortunately, the OP should have a lot of warranty period left to confirm everything is ok.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
Well, let's play chess.

Could be. I'm a little surprised this is limited to a switch problem. I figure there's some logic in the system that's supposed to keep odd switch inputs from causing problems. Fortunately, Toyota touched it, so the OP should be in a good position if more problems develop.