Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front bumper build (slow)

Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #61
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Got set back yesterday due to being sick. So today I've just finished prepping the metal to weld it, which will happen tomorrow. Got the first piece mounted to the winch plate, and it got dark out before I could start on the rest. After I get it tacked up and fitted to the truck tomorrow I'll post a bunch of pictures before I do the final welds, and then paint it this weekend. Barring disaster I should have a new bumper by the end of this weekend!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #62
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy.co2 View Post
Got set back yesterday due to being sick. So today I've just finished prepping the metal to weld it, which will happen tomorrow. Got the first piece mounted to the winch plate, and I ran out of dark before I could start on the rest. After I get it tacked up and fitted to the truck tomorrow I'll post a bunch of pictures before I do the final welds, and then paint it this weekend. Barring disaster I should have a new bumper by the end of this weekend!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #63
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are some spy pics things are coming together almost perfect. A couple things needed to be changed because I shouldn't have made templates out of cardboard. Too flexible... Oh well there's always next time! Just have to roll with it.

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/flyboy_co2/0c215446ffec6d0db85afd0c77e23d39_zps6118757d.jpg[/IMG

The pace I'm going at now I might have this thing prepped and ready to paint for tomorrow. Because the tig can't be moved... I'm using a Lincoln mig to quickly tac it altogether and then I'll bring it inside to tig it all together.

Wooot!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #64
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. That looks great. Fabbing in the street ftw. Let me know if you find any 1st gen armor laying around.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #65
Tail Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Awesome. That looks great. Fabbing in the street ftw. Let me know if you find any 1st gen armor laying around.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. And I'll keep an eye open for some first gen armor!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #66
Tail Striker

Finished tacking it up! Taking it off and going to finish up those welds. Then let the sanding begin...
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #67
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good cam !
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #68
Tail Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
Looking good cam !
Thanks!

Luckily it weighs very little, so taking it off was no problem. I think I mis calculated the weight earlier... Oh well! I would guess the shell weighs in around 60lbs. There still are a couple things to ad to it so it will get a little heavier, but not by much.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #69
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!

Luckily it weighs very little, so taking it off was no problem. I think I mis calculated the weight earlier... Oh well! I would guess the shell weighs in around 60lbs. There still are a couple things to ad to it so it will get a little heavier, but not by much.

That's really pretty light for a plate bumper
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #70
Tail Striker

Quote:
That's really pretty light for a plate bumper
I know! That will have to wait till summer when I have some extra cash to burn lol. I'll get a bunch of lights!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #71
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Cam, are those upper holes in the center hi-lift jacking points? Also, are you adding shackles and d-rings to the front?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #72
Tail Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Cam, are those upper holes in the center hi-lift jacking points? Also, are you adding shackles and d-rings to the front?
They can definitely be used that way! And I'll be adding some d-rings and shackles soon. Need to cut the pieces out of the 5/16" plate then weld it on. That won't happen till next week though.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #73
Tail Striker

Slow and steady drives a sane man off the edge... What I would give for a sand blaster...

On that note does anyone have a super method of cleaning really rusty metal?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #74

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Slow and steady drives a sane man off the edge... What I would give for a sand blaster...

On that note does anyone have a super method of cleaning really rusty metal?

Sandblasting

Old 03-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #75
Tail Striker

Quote:
Sandblasting

Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #76

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't help myself. It really looks good though. Can't wait to see it painted.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #77
Tail Striker

Quote:
Couldn't help myself. It really looks good though. Can't wait to see it painted.
I've decided I'm just going to get it sandblasted. I figure the amount of time it will take me to grind all the surfaces will take too long, and the quality will only be half as good, if that, of sandblasted metal. So far I've spent around $60 on this bumper, why not splurge a little? Or see if I can use a friends sandblaster.

Sadly this means it won't be mounted and painted this weekend, but hopefully within the next week it'll be ready. The metal is kinda pitted from being in the elements for so long, it was scrap off a construction site, so it has seen its fair share of abuse. Sandblasting is the way to go.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #78

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Angle grinder and a wire wheel works pretty well. For the flat parts, those wire wheel cups work well.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #79
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Way to DIY! I'm about to start building one as well one my parts come in for my suitcase
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #80
Monkey Sweat
Bubbarr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt
Name: Duane
Bubbarr's Tacoma Gallery
Man I wish I had those types of tools. coming together great