Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front bumper build (slow)

Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #81
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Angle grinder and a wire wheel works pretty well. For the flat parts, those wire wheel cups work well.
That's what I've been using, but the metal is so pitted it's almost not worth it. If the metal was in a little better condition there wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
Way to DIY! I'm about to start building one as well one my parts come in for my suitcase
Yeah DIY is a lot of fun! Good luck with your build! Send me a link to your thread once you get it started, I'd enjoy seeing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbarr View Post
Man I wish I had those types of tools. coming together great
Thanks! I was lucky in the sense that I know the right people lol
Old 03-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #82
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well got as much done as I could this weekend. Had a busy day with Easter and what not, so had a pretty late start on the bumper today. This next week is going to be nuts... So the bumper will have to be put aside until I find time to add the final touches. A few edges still need to be ground down and rounded out, and I plugged a couple deep rust holes on the surface. I'd say maybe a couple more hours of grinding the edges nice and smooth, and then it'll be ready for paint.

Anyway this is how it sits right now, I'll pick this up later this week, sooner if I can manage.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #83
09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
09Tacomania's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy.co2 View Post
Well got as much done as I could this weekend. Had a busy day with Easter and what not, so had a pretty late start on the bumper today. This next week is going to be nuts... So the bumper will have to be put aside until I find time to add the final touches. A few edges still need to be ground down and rounded out, and I plugged a couple deep rust holes on the surface. I'd say maybe a couple more hours of grinding the edges nice and smooth, and then it'll be ready for paint.

Anyway this is how it sits right now, I'll pick this up later this week, sooner if I can manage.

Looks awesome
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #84
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Front bumper build (slow)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364814665.876751.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #86
Tail Striker

Thenks fellas! Appreciate it!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #87
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
this wheel works much better than a wire wheel. standard abrasives brite strip plus i believe. remove paint, epoxy, rust obviously, and i even use them to rough-polish stainless. it would probably take 3-4 of them to do that bumper as long as you take down sharp edges first.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #88
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
this wheel works much better than a wire wheel. standard abrasives brite strip plus i believe
Interesting... Where were you when I was prepping my sliders?!?!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #89
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
This thread needs to quit popping up. I'm about to go to bed, but now I got bumper building on my mind.DAMNIT! Hopefully I can start cutting and doing some fitting this week. Can't wait to see that bumper on your rig.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #90
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
lol. sorry. who knows though, they could be like $10 a pop. . . . i figure between $2 and $10 because the bosses say $20 lol
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #91
Trail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud of

Name: Jon
Trail Squirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol. sorry. who knows though, they could be like $10 a pop. . . . i figure between $2 and $10 because the bosses say $20 lol
I would try a welding supply store like Tollman in boston or any fastenal (I always used toask them to put me under whatever customer has a deep discount, now I have my own and get 45% off most hardware and supplies)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #92
Tail Striker

Quote:
this wheel works much better than a wire wheel. standard abrasives brite strip plus i believe. remove paint, epoxy, rust obviously, and i even use them to rough-polish stainless. it would probably take 3-4 of them to do that bumper as long as you take down sharp edges first.
I didn't even think of those! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Interesting... Where were you when I was prepping my sliders?!?!
No kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Squirrel View Post
I would try a welding supply store like Tollman in boston or any fastenal (I always used toask them to put me under whatever customer has a deep discount, now I have my own and get 45% off most hardware and supplies)
Fastenal down the street, I'm going to try the "put me under the discounted customer" lol. No homo.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #93
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
Outstanding build! PM sent with a question
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #94
Tail Striker

This is what I am working on right now. I know it has nothing to do with the bumper, but oh well. Like previously stated it is a stainless steel green sea turtle (life size) I'm currently making. Welding 20 gauge stainless is a hoot! Anyhow, this is what I have to finish before I resume work on the bumper.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #95
Trail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy.co2 View Post

This is what I am working on right now. I know it has nothing to do with the bumper, but oh well. Like previously stated it is a stainless steel green sea turtle (life size) I'm currently making. Welding 20 gauge stainless is a hoot! Anyhow, this is what I have to finish before I resume work on the bumper.
Booooo
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #96
raskal is on a distinguished road
raskal's Tacoma Gallery
the turtle has to be done in 3 days, I'm waiting to see the finished project.

you've got one piece welded in since last week... progress has been kinda slow ... like turtle slow ...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #97
Tail Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal View Post
the turtle has to be done in 3 days, I'm waiting to see the finished project.

you've got one piece welded in since last week... progress has been kinda slow ... like turtle slow ...
Oh lots of pieces cut out, shaping, tedious stuff. And I put the turtle off while I worked on the bumper. Forming stainless is hard. Compound curves are tricky as heck... But yes progress is slow. However the hard part is mostly over.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #99
Tail Striker

Well this is what I made tonight, it's just been roughly shaped, and I'm going to weld on the next 10 pieces to this and call it for today. This is the bottom of the shell to the turtle.

Progress is slow like a
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #100

That does look cool though.I work with stainless every day and that looks like a pain in the ass