Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

now that i bought it, will it work?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
now that i bought it, will it work?

finally did it! placed an order at wheelers for

ome885's
5100 fronts
5100 rears (14.02x22.94)
wheelers 3 leaf aal (1.5" lift)

i asked that they call me before processing the order because im worried about this setup a little bit. will the 5100s dampen the 885s? i dont do much high speed stuff but dont want the truck to be a pogo stick when i do. do the stiffer coils hamper slow-speed articulation? maybe i should just stay with the stock springs?

im also worried about the rears with the addition of the aal kit. i want to be sure i can reach full compression/ droop at the rear without hurting the bilsteins.

and lastly for asthetics, is this thing gunna bro lean????

please help guys im kind of scared to death as the truck wheeled ok before, i dont want to make it any worse. thanks again
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Haha don't worry man! Your going to love it, yes it will be a little stiffer especially right after you install it. Only thing i would worry about is alignment with stock UCAs
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i was hoping for the accronym "uca" to never come up in this thread. you'r opening a nasty bag of worms for me lol.

i was affraid of that too as i think i/ve heard of people getting like 2.5" of lift from the 885/s alone, but wheelers claims 1.75. I plan on running the bilsteins at 0"
Old 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I got 2.5 with 885s i would be surprised if you get less
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale

crap. so you ended up buying uca's i take it?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
crap. so you ended up buying uca's i take it?
Yep. I installed the UCAs at the same time as the lift. Well light racing UCAs pretty much guarantee a good alignment if the alignment tech is good, and they are only $375. Some people have 2.5-3" with stock UCAs and claim it is fine. Your caster numbers will be lower than ideal, it might cause your truck to feel like it wanders at highway speeds. Worse case scenerio is deal with it until you can install UCAs, then you have to do alignment again, or it might not be bad at all and you can run the stock UCAs. In my opinion it is worth it to do it all at once.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
2.5" from 885's.. 3" with 885's + top plates. You'll sit a tad high in the rear. Especially until the leafs settle
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
drinking whats on sale

fantastic. hard to justify buying control arms without having some nice coil-overs to sit behind them. . . . . crap
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Dude you will love it. Had mine for about 1000 miles. 3 inches in front with 885s and 5100s only. I have a 2wd v6. You may get a little less than 3 with 4x4. Yea you'll need UCAs
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Quote:
im also worried about the rears with the addition of the aal kit. i want to be sure i can reach full compression/ droop at the rear without hurting the bilsteins.
Some old info from chris regarding AAL and 5100s compared to stock shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The 5100's for the rear of the Tacoma are pretty close to the same size. However, they a microcelularurathane damper in the top of the shock that prevents topping out problems. (I got this info right from Bilstien). Once the damper starts to compress the damper allows the shock to extend about 1" further than stock when articulating in an off camber section of trail, which translates to a 2" more extension at the wheel, or close to it. Unloaded, the shocks will look the same length, but the 5100's will actually extend 1" more. I hope this makes sence.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
fantastic. hard to justify buying control arms without having some nice coil-overs to sit behind them. . . . . crap
Time to break open the piggy bank
Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Yep. I installed the UCAs at the same time as the lift. Well light racing UCAs pretty much guarantee a good alignment if the alignment tech is good, and they are only $375. Some people have 2.5-3" with stock UCAs and claim it is fine. Your caster numbers will be lower than ideal, it might cause your truck to feel like it wanders at highway speeds. Worse case scenerio is deal with it until you can install UCAs, then you have to do alignment again, or it might not be bad at all and you can run the stock UCAs. In my opinion it is worth it to do it all at once.
This is what happened to me. I don't have the springs, just the 5100's set at 2.5" and my caster is out. I will be dropping it to 1.75" for now because I don't want to fork over the extra cash for UCA's.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
drinking whats on sale

thank you for that info on the rear, thats good to know. and yea either that or not buy the coils. . . . . . gunna have to go cruise and browse and take another year and a half to figure out exactly which arms I would want.

so far i like camburg's arms with king or fox c/o's. . . . . . hell im dreamin
Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Have you not considered the OME 884 spring? Might fit your needs perfectly...no uca needed
Old 03-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
PETEREDGE has a spectacular aura aboutPETEREDGE has a spectacular aura about

Name: PETER
PETEREDGE's Tacoma Gallery
I am just about to install Light Racing UCA on Tuesday.I have the same lift but with Eibach springs and my truck wanders so i got the uca's.Luckly i bought some off a guy for 200$.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Have you not considered the OME 884 spring? Might fit your needs perfectly...no uca needed

ok, they dont list it on their site so i never considered it. what is the difference again? is that stock hight with a higher spring rate? i've never quite gotten the full breakdown of ome's lineup.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETEREDGE View Post
I am just about to install Light Racing UCA on Tuesday.I have the same lift but with Eibach springs and my truck wanders so i got the uca's.Luckly i bought some off a guy for 200$.

i know very little of the eibach springs, are they a little bit shorter?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #18
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok, they dont list it on their site so i never considered it. what is the difference again? is that stock hight with a higher spring rate? i've never quite gotten the full breakdown of ome's lineup.
884s should put you right around 2" of lift, they are the same spring rate as 885s just shorter
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
drinking whats on sale

wonderful thank you. i will suggest that when they call
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
i know very little of the eibach springs, are they a little bit shorter?
Yes eibachs are shorter and a little stiffer than OME. Eibachs on 5100s are suposed to give you 1.6" of lift, with the billies set at the first notch you would be somewhere around 2.5. The spring rate on eibachs is around 620 lb/in vs. OME around 590 lb/in