Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

electric boost gauge power supply?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery

So i bought auto meter electric boostvacuum gauge and am trying to install it now, but in the directions it says i need to wire to a switched 12 volt source that maintains power during engine cranking. I cant seem to think of a good place to tap into. Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of thigs you could tap into. Any thing that comes on after truck started. Like cigarette lighter or radio
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no it has to have power while cranking. radio and cigarette lighter shut off while you're cranking the engine over.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
no it has to have power while cranking. radio and cigarette lighter shut off while you're cranking the engine over.
IMO

Which wire in gauge would require that? There really isn't going to be such a wire except you starter relay wire. You shouldn't need a "cranking wire".

If I had to guess the wire you need is going to be a light or just normal power wire to power gauge. I don't understand what the gauge would need a cranking wire. No sense

You should have a vacuum hose, ground, light wire, and a power, if the gauge is digital.

Really no such thing as a cranking wire?

Believe you are looking for a switched wire(power once truck on)
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

And do you have a turbo or S/C?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Easiest will be splicing to the cigarette outlet. You misinterpreted the wording. Which model of gauge is it? Is it just the backlighting that is requiring power? Or is it a digital reading gauge?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Easiest will be splicing to the cigarette outlet. You misinterpreted the wording. Which model of gauge is it? Is it just the backlighting that is requiring power? Or is it a digital reading gauge?
+1
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
'merica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
IMO

Which wire in gauge would require that? There really isn't going to be such a wire except you starter relay wire. You shouldn't need a "cranking wire".

If I had to guess the wire you need is going to be a light or just normal power wire to power gauge. I don't understand what the gauge would need a cranking wire. No sense

You should have a vacuum hose, ground, light wire, and a power, if the gauge is digital.

Really no such thing as a cranking wire?

Believe you are looking for a switched wire(power once truck on)

So i ended up tapping into the ignition fuse.
Check out the installation instructions on top right corner. http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3125&sid=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
And do you have a turbo or S/C?
URD S/C is coming next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
See above link.
The gauge did require back lighting but it is a digital reading gauge.