Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

rear shock top nut 14 mm stuck, spins shock

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
robert benner is on a distinguished road
robert benner's Tacoma Gallery
rear shock top nut 14 mm stuck, spins shock

Hello: I am trying to install the 5125 billy's on my 09' tacoma and have the bottom of the stock shock off, but cannot stop the top 14 mm nut from spinning the entire shock. I have lubed the nut, etc. still spins, any thoughts?
Thanx. Rob
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Yeh tried that on the other side, that one spins also. I really love this do it yourself technique, my truck now sits with my daughter asleep in her car seat and no right rear shock. Little gym starts soon, this will be fun, any other ideas?
Thanx. Rob
Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Yes thanx. LHT they left a small rectangular pc. at top above the nut so I could somehow get a vice grip on it. Now I cannot fit the bottom boot into the slot, Poly spacers are very wide any thoughts here?
Thanx.Rob
The child is now awake after the bout with the nut!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dont use Vice Grips. The top of the shaft has a provision for an allen wrench. I cant remember the size, but I think its a 3mm..
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Dont use Vice Grips. The top of the shaft has a provision for an allen wrench. I cant remember the size, but I think its a 3mm..
Not sure about the 5125s, but I don't remember anything on the top of the 5100s that would have allowed me to secure it. So I just wrapped the shaft with a rag so I didn't chew up the metal, then applied the vice grips.

However, Chris knows better than me. Like I said, I don't "remember" anything on the tops of the 5100s...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Should I just shave the poly at the bottom of the shock so that I can slip it into the provided space? The top looks like no problem.
Thanx. Rob
By the way Chris, I am going to attempt the front lift soon as per your suggestions.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Not sure about the 5125s, but I don't remember anything on the top of the 5100s that would have allowed me to secure it. So I just wrapped the shaft with a rag so I didn't chew up the metal, then applied the vice grips.

However, Chris knows better than me. Like I said, I don't "remember" anything on the tops of the 5100s...
You wont see it (its recessed) unless your staring at the top of the shaft. I have had many people give me strange looks when I grab an Allen wrench and start to install their rear shocks.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

I just checked mine sitting in the garage.
5mm allen.

I hope you have not been waiting 8 months for this answer.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
I just checked mine sitting in the garage.
5mm allen.

I hope you have not been waiting 8 months for this answer.
LOL!! Yeah, Its a 5mm.....I dont know why I was thinking 3...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
mmmmm beer!
05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold05TacomaCO is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
05TacomaCO's Tacoma Gallery
I tried vice grips on the top and it spun that little piece off. So I got my sawzall out and cut the top under the nut off.