Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Time for Front/Rear Diff Oil Change... Talk me out of Royal Purple

Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
Time for Front/Rear Diff Oil Change... Talk me out of Royal Purple

I just broke 60K the other day on my Taco , looking to do the Motor and F/R diffs . Motor Oil is going to be Royal Purple for sure since its already been bought , but I cant find any solid reviews on why RP is "bad". I used to always run RP in my Nissan SR20 motors and it worked great.

So between RP 75-90 and Mobil 1 75-90 gear oils , Which and why? Its between these two primarily because they are in stock at the local Autozone or Walmart.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
fla taco is on a distinguished road

fla taco's Tacoma Gallery
I recently did the 30k fluid change in my 05. I almost went with RP but decided on Mobil 1 for a couple reasons. First being price, Mobil 1 was about half the price of RP and came highly recommended, Second I could find no real diff in the two and in speaking to the maniager he said the real key is changing fluids at proper intervals.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
ski-doo ride the best screw the rest!
Murph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant futureMurph has a brilliant future

Army: 19D
Murph's Tacoma Gallery
I've always used mobile 1 mainly due to cost. I have 186K on the odometer and I have had nothing but success with mobile 1. Your just paying for a name with royal purple .
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have looked into RP in the past and always end up going with Mobil 1. M1 seems to be easier to find and about half the cost of RP.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i ran royal purple in my chevy and was the only motor oil that would allow a good chirp on the 1-2 shift. i also sold my chevy blowing smoke.

cant say that the oil was responsible as i ran a few others but the cost alone makes it completely unjustifiable anymore.

they do have some pretty convincing test material on video though
Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Price......just get MB1 like the rest of us!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
kevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant future

kevinthefawker's Tacoma Gallery
i just did my front/ trans case/ rear diff today using amsoil fluid. i only had 20k on the factory fill fluid and boy was it dirty already.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Hot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the roughHot2na is a jewel in the rough
Hot2na's Tacoma Gallery
I second the amsoil....
Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I might be a contrarian, but I buy the Valvoline 80w-90 GL-5 gear lube at NAPA for $72 for a five gallon bucket...I haven't failed a differential, transmission or transfer case in 30 years...with TWO exceptions. My 87 BMW R80RT needed a output shaft bearing due to a missing factory c-clip, at 18 years and 125k miles and the 94 Toyota pickup started popping out of gear at 217k probably due to a shifter issue. But as for gears and bearings, no problems to date.

Don't be sucked in by snake oil.

Howard
Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
Eldo is on a distinguished road
Eldo's Tacoma Gallery
/\/\/\ this. /\/\/\
regular service is more effective than "designer" lubricants.
if some research is done, it's funny to see that most of those designer lubricants are just relabelled / or dyed versions of their "lesser" competition.

with that being said, i've always run RedLine gear oils with great success. (many many track days in various cars, and now towing & getting out on trails in my tacoma)

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Amsoil with the Manual tranny (75-90W API GL-4) and Rear Diff(75-90W Severe Gear) at 30,000. Tranny oil looked used, about ready for a change for the anal guy. Rear Diff oil looked new, in no way in need of immediate change, but I just wanted to go full synthetic with all fluids.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Curt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to beholdCurt7088 is a splendid one to behold
Army: Lab Tech @Winn Army Community Hospital
Name: Curtis
Curt7088's Tacoma Gallery
I used rp in my 02 wrangler rp everything lol and i beat that thing hard, very hard. I had a locker in the rear d35 and even with the stress and strain of that and rock crawling/ chirping the tires on pavement constantly (it was a lunchbox autolocker) and i never had a failure and when i first switched to rp i had a knock in the valves and it quieted down after the switch. With that said on my tacoma i use castroil titanium edge 0 20 on the engine and honestly there really isn't a difference... i feel if you use synthetic and maintain the intervals then the vehicle is going to do fine...
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
i ended up putting RP in the motor and Mobil 1 synthetic in the the F/R DIff and T-Case

The truck runs a lot smoother now , its amazing.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
TacosNBurritos is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
TacosNBurritos's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning my 30k Maintenance on my 2012 Taco 4x4 and I wen toy he dealer ship to buy the oil they use. Well, the guy brings out 75w-140 oil. I told him that was the wrong oil. He said this is what we use and I told him I want a Toyota service letter substituting the 75w-85 for 75w-140. Have any of you ran into this? Is there something we don't know that we should?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
FARNORCAL is a jewel in the roughFARNORCAL is a jewel in the roughFARNORCAL is a jewel in the rough
Coast Guard: MK
Name: Ryan
FARNORCAL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthefawker View Post
i just did my front/ trans case/ rear diff today using amsoil fluid. i only had 20k on the factory fill fluid and boy was it dirty already.
Go with this changed my front and rear diff and transfer case with this dont forget the LSD Additive you'll need this for the Rear.