1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC compressor took a dump

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sirsaechao, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    At Firestone getting the AC recharged on my 05 come to find out the compressor doesn't kick on so it is defective. Any idea what it'll cost me to replace it? Firestone quotes me $1500 for the compressor and another $700 for a damn filter. Not including labor.

2. Mar 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If it is low on R134 it will not come on as there is a safety pressure switch. I would get it checked somewhere else for a second opinion.

I personally do not trust any Firestone Shop from my experience.

Yes the receiver-dryer must be replaced if the Compressor is damaged as that is where all the particles of metal and crap would collect. If you only replace the compressor these particles can get back into the new compressor and kill it also.

3. Mar 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    ef that! if its not kicking on then its electrical. dont replace the compressor for a fuse, relay, switch, wiring, etc. i know the 4runners had a similar problem in their early days with the 1gr. it was the relay. dont let these guys take your money. take it to a shop that specializes in automotive a/c if you dont want to get your multimeter out.

if i misunderstood you, as in the compressor kicks on, but doesn't cool, check your charge, and replace if charge is good but with equal hi/lo pressure/temprature.
    if the compressor comes on and has abnormal noise, replace it.
    if compressor comes on and kills the truck, check for overcharge or line blockage and replace. these are the only reasons i can think to replace a compressor

4. Mar 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Incorrect. A low pressure condition will prevent the compressor clutch from coming on.

5. Mar 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    unless the charge is low, then its an electrical problem right?

if the compressor itself was the bad thing, then it would kick on, system would then notice low high-side pressure, and then shut down.

i made my assumption based on the fact that he said it doesn't come on and im guessing they put the correct charge in

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  6. Mar 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If the charge is low it will not even engage the AC Clutch Relay.

If the compressor is seized it will trigger a fault and the AC Dash Light will flash.

If the system has pressure and the AC relay will not energize or the clutch doesn't engage when the relay is energized more than likely it is an electrical problem.

It is hard to troubleshoot on the internet. Too many unknowns. I do suggest he get a second opinion as Firestone has a shitty record with me. I wouldn't believe them if they told me the sky was blue unless I checked it myself.

Anything that costs this much deserves a second opinion. Even if you have to pay someone for it.

7. Mar 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    So I should recharge it and see?

8. Mar 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    No.

DIY kits do more harm that good. Overcharging is just as bad as undercharging.

Take it to a reputable shop... NOT Firestone or Goodyear.
    They are tire shops that happen to work on cars, just as Midas is a muffler shop that happens to work on cars.

The dealership has a service department that happens to sell tires.

9. Mar 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
  10. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    How can I tell if the compressor is not working?

11. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    They told me that it doesn't have power and they can't even get a freon reading to see how much is in the system.

12. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    Jimmyh and Rich91710 gave you GREAT advice and you should follow what they say. And if the Firestone turns out to be incompetent or scamming, I would contact their corporate headquarters and file a formal complaint. What they quoted you is highway robbery. IMPO

13. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    They sure did but I would like to know who or where I should get a second opinion at? Dealership? A mechanic? Where or who works on car AC systems?

14. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    Failure2Comply

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    Tell them they should buy a set of gauges and take several classes on high temperature refrigeration. :eek:

15. Mar 3, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Failure2Comply

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    A dealership should have very qualified a/c techs but they can be pricey. I do not know the shops in your area so I can not comment on where to take it, maybe another member near you can chime in with a good recommendation.

16. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    Yeah, if they told me something like that, I guess I would want them to be a little more technical on the explanation. If it's not getting power, then why are they replacing the entire compressor? If they aren't getting a reading because it's not running, they can evacuate the system to see how much it had with an AC machine. If they evacuated it but had a low amount of R134, then a leak is present, etc, etc. Take it somewhere reputable.

17. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.

$1000 for the entire system on my '95 Suburban. That included new hoses, compressor, condensor, evaporator, and dryer.

I had a leak in my condensor and too many years of the previous owner "maintaining" it with DIY recharge kits killed the compressor.

18. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    :eek:

Do not let them TOUCH that system. All they are doing is measuring the high side and going by the "green/yellow/red" on the gauge on a $40 can.
    That is not the proper way to check the level. They need to look at the balance between the low side and high side and compare that to ambient temperature.

19. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    aaronc7

aaronc7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    I once had an AC issue, took it to a meineke...worst decision ever! They ended up draining the fluid, was about to charge me for whole new compressor, recharge plus labor. I held off, went home and found the AC compressor clutch lying on my undertry. Found a spare bolt... put it back on (lots of loctite!). Did a DIY re-charge and worked just fine.

Bottom line, like everyone else is saying... take it to a shop you can TRUST, or take a good look for yourself.

20. Mar 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    This is one of the many good suggestions. If they even had a basic set of manual gauges they could read high and low pressure to determine if there is enough R134a present to run the system. Then they need to do an electrical check if the compressor still does not engage. A bad relay, bad coil, bad switch...All of these can cause a compressor to not engage. If you do not know of any reputable service shops around, you can ask around, or even take it to the dealership. While the dealership is higher priced, they will be able to properly determine what is wrong, and then you can go from there. You don't have to let them fix it. You can just go in and ask them to find the cause. From there you can make your own decision. I hate seeing these big chain places do such a crappy job with inexperienced wrench turners. They give good shops a bad name.

Products Discussed in

To Top