Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My Tacoma tried to attack my garage

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
machec is on a distinguished road
machec's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy My Tacoma tried to attack my garage

Hey guys, I have a 2012 Tacoma with barely 3000 miles on it, all stock. It was mid 40's here today so I hose off all the salt on it and let it dry off outside. I get in it to drive the flat 25 feet into my garage and as I step on the brake to slow down to park it the ABS flips out and all the wheels start clicking but the truck is still fricking driving forward even though my foot is crushing the brake pedal. By sheer luck and instinct I was able to throw it into park before I drove through the back of my garage.

I searched around here but don't really know what to search for. I've read about the ABS issues and VSC but haven't come across anything where the truck is still actively driving itself while braking. I'm in NH so some strange ABS behavior is not new to me and I haven't really had any issues this winter but this new and I really don't need to be driving into people at a stop light.

Thanks for any info or link to an appropriate thread.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
welcome, and did you get a good amount of water on the brakes maybe? think it maybe froze on the disc?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i know garages can be very slick when wet. i suspect your concrete is smooth instead of brushed like the driveway.

i had my old 92 eat my workbench. i had the seats forward to access my tools in the back, and assuming it was in neutral, pushed the clutch start cancel button and started the truck through the open window. well, she started right up and crept right into the bench as i tried to yank the door open and fold the seat back so i could get in to shut it off. turns out she was not only in gear, but also in 4lo. whoops. no considerable damage though. glad it was the bench and not the wall

dont feel bad, at least yours was out of your control instead of a stupid mistake
Old 03-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
machec's Tacoma Gallery
tostidos - thanks, rinsed the heck out of it but it was outside for a few hours at 45 before I drove it in so no freezing

92dlxman - yup it's smooth and there was snow on the tires but I was just coasting the few feet to the garage on flat ground. No different than getting into it coming home driving through six inches of snow.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt worry about it. if it does it again you have a problem. probably slick tires due to snow/water/ice, truck was cold as you said it sat out for a few hours at 45* rpms were higher due to the fact it was cold. may have lurched a little bit and caused the abs to kick in when you were smashing the brakes.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
There's been a lot of reports that the 2nd gen ABS does more harm than good when the conditions are icy/slick.

Did you say that you slammed the shifter from drive, through neutral and reverse, into park, while still moving forward/wheels spinning?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
machec's Tacoma Gallery
Garage was pretty dry, just some slush on tires from moving the truck, nothing out of the ordinary. Running blizzaks also.

Was nearly fully into the garage when it started, foot on brake, ABS on and clicking, wheels weren't spinning but the truck was certainly moving forward all by itself. Yes, from drive to park.

Gotlift - that seems about right. My problem with it that I can't remember the last time I had a car without ABS, and there's been many, and absolutely none of them did anything like this. I would have thought this ABS would be more, um, "polished" I guess would be the word for it.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Some people will discount your story but I don't doubt you. The ABS on our trucks sucks.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
BillyP will become famous soon enoughBillyP will become famous soon enough
Coast Guard: CWO4-retired
Name: Billy
BillyP's Tacoma Gallery
I'd have that truck into the dealer to have it checked.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
I tried something with my truck. We had some freezing rain and sleet But it was not solid ice on the road. I stepped on the brakes doing 10 mph and the abs kicked in and would not stop. I went at least 50 ft before I came to a stop. I yanked the ABS fuse and tried again. Stopped in less than 10 ft no sliding.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
machec's Tacoma Gallery
That's my point. Doesn't it worry you if you have to second guess your ABS? Just the fact that there's threads about how to disable it is troubling. Before this truck I had an 04 F250 for 6 years, never had an issue with ABS. In fact never even thought about ABS, which is the way it should be. It should just work.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
6L PSD is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired
6L PSD's Tacoma Gallery
Had the VERY same thing happen last winter! I parked the truck outside while working on another in the garage, it was about 15* out. After a couple hours I put the truck back in the garage. I stopped a little short, so eased up on the brake to just idle forward and there we go...brakes hard as a rock and still going! It took out a toolbox and a lightforce. Never had it happen since, but you can bet your ass I have hand on the shifter when parking!

I told my bud about it since his wife had just bought a new 2012. Not two months later, same set of circumstances, he got to buy a new replacement grill!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
machec's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
I'd have that truck into the dealer to have it checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L PSD View Post
Had the VERY same thing happen last winter! I parked the truck outside while working on another in the garage, it was about 15* out. After a couple hours I put the truck back in the garage. I stopped a little short, so eased up on the brake to just idle forward and there we go...brakes hard as a rock and still going! It took out a toolbox and a lightforce. Never had it happen since, but you can bet your ass I have hand on the shifter when parking!

I told my bud about it since his wife had just bought a new 2012. Not two months later, same set of circumstances, he got to buy a new replacement grill!
Hey that sounds pretty spot on. Do you remember if you were at high idle? It probably was if it was a cold start. Strange thing is that mine will do random high idle during driving even when the engine is at temp, be going down hill and it will down shift then rev up for some reason. Very weird.

Billy - going in next week for sure
Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
mine did that once on a rainy misty morning...just 101% humidity. first time
on the brakes felt like it was trying to clear ice off the rotors or something...for
10 feet. then wham, lockup...hasn't done it since
Old 03-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Blygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlygy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Blygy's Tacoma Gallery
Typical Tacoma ABS in my opinion.. These trucks suck that way.. Slap it in neutral quickly has helped me in the past..

This summer I will disable it..

If I don't trade it off on another MegaCab.. I really miss my MegaCab..
Old 03-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Not another "my ABS sucks" Mine works fine must be OK stops better then any other trucks in it's class.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
good for you bub
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
6L PSD is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Retired
6L PSD's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=machec;6525704]Hey that sounds pretty spot on. Do you remember if you were at high idle? It probably was if it was a cold start. Strange thing is that mine will do random high idle during driving even when the engine is at temp, be going down hill and it will down shift then rev up for some reason. Very weird.

If it was high idle it was the intermittent kind that you describe. I had started it via autostart and let it run for 5-10 minutes first, so it wasn't just crank it cold and roll.

That's been the only instance, it does fine on the icy roads and such. Just a bit more careful pulling the POS into the garage. Never took it to the dealer, figuring what's the point if they can't dupe it??
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Jaws9760 has a spectacular aura aboutJaws9760 has a spectacular aura about

Jaws9760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Morron View Post
I tried something with my truck. We had some freezing rain and sleet But it was not solid ice on the road. I stepped on the brakes doing 10 mph and the abs kicked in and would not stop. I went at least 50 ft before I came to a stop. I yanked the ABS fuse and tried again. Stopped in less than 10 ft no sliding.
Hey Hugh, I'm thinking about pulling my ABS fuse but I'm a wee bit paranoid about unintended consequences or cocking up my new pickup.

Did you pull ABS No2, the lower amp fuse? Did you get a dash light?

I keep getting referred to the switch methods but I don't want a switch and I don't want to fool w/ the wiring, just want to pull the fuse and call it a day. Thanks in advance.