Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust spots on paint!!!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rust spots on paint!!!

Anyone else having this problem with their truck? I know they put way to much salt down in Canada but wtf man.. I have had other vehicles in similar color and never had this issue.

I have a silver 2012 and I get little rust spots on the paint that come of with some scrubbing a lot on the tailgate.. I noticed today that I have a few that look like that have pitted the paint on th beveled edge around the windows on the doors..
When I Bought it was a demo so had been through a winter it had a few spots I noticed and I complained right away thy cleaned them up and said its a very common thing on silver and white... Anyone else have this bullshit happening?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
I havnt had any issues with my paint. Maybe a little bit on the chrome bumper, and a bit on the frame. But nothing like what your saying.

Free bump for yeah
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Richard
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceTaco View Post
Anyone else having this problem with their truck? I know they put way to much salt down in Canada but wtf man.. I have had other vehicles in similar color and never had this issue.

I have a silver 2012 and I get little rust spots on the paint that come of with some scrubbing a lot on the tailgate.. I noticed today that I have a few that look like that have pitted the paint on th beveled edge around the windows on the doors..
When I Bought it was a demo so had been through a winter it had a few spots I noticed and I complained right away thy cleaned them up and said its a very common thing on silver and white... Anyone else have this bullshit happening?
That sounds like environmental surface contamination best removed with a clay bar. It shows up worse on some colors, but it affects all vehicles.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Silver12 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Silver12's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar it with any kit found at your local parts store using the directions in the kit. Then throw a good quality coat of wax on it.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I've noticed this will happen to mine if I drive in the mountains where it's rich in iron ore. The iron particles would get on my paint and begin to rust. Was paranoid when I first found it then figured out what was going on. I avoid that area now and all the spots have disappeared. The main way to figure it's surface contamination is if it happens on the painted plastic surfaces.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Little Big Man
Fleas Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jerry
Fleas Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Moondeath about it being a surface contaminant, I have also just noticed those same type of spots all over my paint when I went to the car wash yesterday. I started to get nervous then realized that it's a plastic fender and proceeded to rub it with my thumb and it disappeared. A good waxing or Ming job is in order for me
Old 03-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Could be rail dust. Clay bar works great.
We get that all the time at the shipyard from all the grinding we do. Even get paint overspray once in awhile.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
My 1st Tacoma was an '05 silver streak mica. Has couple rust spots on the roof. Drove me nuts because I babied that truck. Problem solved now that I have a '13 haha.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
Canadian Redneck

Ya most are just a surface issue and rub off but the few around the windows have pitted into the paint very very small but still a piss off on a new truck.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar/wax more often
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I used to live near a papermill sometimes the fallout from burning cheap coal would produce those little spots.... if you got them off in time you were ok but if not they burn through the paint. I had a silver s-10 and they showed up quite a bit just couldn't keep up with it though day after day.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
tundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nice

tundrataco's Tacoma Gallery
just went and looked very closely at my 07 silver taco, i have these said rust spots mostly on the rear of the box, they rub off easily, but still frightening....
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
IRON X
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
balk is on a distinguished road
balk's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem on my 2001 Tacoma. In talking with a local detail shop, they said it affects white, silver, and dark grey paint. It has to do with metallic brake pads and those particles stick to the paint.

Yes, use a clay bar and then some good wax. It might take some effort to get all of them. I think I paid around $85 to have the shop do it for me, including a full exterior wax.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
BikPickle is on a distinguished road
Marines: SSgt
Name: Nick
BikPickle's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ them
I had something like this occur on my Scion. I used McGuires clay bar and the edge of an old credit card. and followed up with a couple coats of carnauba wax. The problem never happened again before I traded it for my truck.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
Richard
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by balk View Post
I had this problem on my 2001 Tacoma. In talking with a local detail shop, they said it affects white, silver, and dark grey paint. It has to do with metallic brake pads and those particles stick to the paint.

Yes, use a clay bar and then some good wax. It might take some effort to get all of them. I think I paid around $85 to have the shop do it for me, including a full exterior wax.
It affects all colors. It just shows up worse on some. $85 sounds like a heck of a deal.

The contamination can come from many different sources, including the vehicle's own friction material in the brake system, railroad brakes and the wheels on the rails, large metalworking shops, etc. It's just ferrous particulates raining down on the paint. They get embedded in the surface, then rust over time. The clay bar gloms onto the contaminates and strips the paint bare, but without causing any harm, if done properly. Once the clay bar procedure is completed, the bare paint needs to be waxed or sealed to protect it, but it'll likely need to be cleaned with a clay bar in the future to remove fresh contaminates.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
Canadian Redneck

Thanks for all the good advice!

I have to wait till this snow is gone but clay bar and a 3 stage wax is coming ASAP.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
Little Big Man
Fleas Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jerry
Fleas Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Would you be kind enough to explain what a 3stage wax is?
I'm not familiar with that. Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
Canadian Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleas Taco View Post
Would you be kind enough to explain what a 3stage wax is?
I'm not familiar with that. Thanks
Mothers and I believe meguirs and maybe others offer a 3 sage system..

1st - a prewax cleaner
2nd - a sealer glaze
3rd - a carunuba wax

It takes forever to do but in the past was what I used on my cars...

Looks like this time I will claybar it.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
you have primer, paint, clear coat, and wax layer that rust has to get through. I don't think its rusting through the paint. something on the outside. However if it is getting on your paint, it is getting on your frame. Wash it off..