1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clunking noise?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tundrataco, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    tundrataco

tundrataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastern townships, quebec
    front bilsteins 2.5" lift, rear aal 2.5" lift, flowmaster 40 series muffler, kenwood headunit, ultraguage, allpro bolton sliders
    hey guys, ive been doing some searching but so far am empty handed.

recently ive been hearing a quite loud clunk in the front end of my 07 tacoma 4wd. its only when turning hard, and or braking in foward or reverse.. i can hit bumps all day long with no noise at all. its really when im barely moving and shift the weight from front to back, what could this be!? loose control arm bushings? sway bar?? help!!!

2. Mar 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think I would put the front end up on jack stands with the wheels hanging and start looking for anything bent or broken

3. Mar 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Bpfaff45

Bpfaff45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 TRD off road
    Mine did the same thing. For some reason it has stopped however. Never did a thing, it just went away. Wish I knew what it was aswell.

travel_taco likes this.
  4. Mar 3, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    tundrataco

Member:
    front bilsteins 2.5" lift, rear aal 2.5" lift, flowmaster 40 series muffler, kenwood headunit, ultraguage, allpro bolton sliders
    its going back to the dealer this week, ill post what i/they find

5. Mar 3, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Get a torque wrench, set to 100ftlbs, get ether a 19mm or 3/4" socket and box wrench, torque lower control arm cam bolts n nuts. The pop may happen once more after, that's just it finally moving back in its place, popping won't happen again til you get an alignment. Alignment tech usually won't torque these bolts all the way.

6. Mar 3, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I agree with this. Happened to me.

7. Mar 3, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    tundrataco

Member:
    will do thx, ill let u know what happens!

8. Mar 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    tundrataco

Member:
    ok guys, fixed it this afternoon! im so glad! i started by checking my lower tables, because i just had an alignment. so got out the 19mm socket and crescent wrench. checked all 4 bolts, the 2 facing the rear of the truck were 2 full turns off of 100ft lbs. the other 2 in the front clicked right away. at the same time i checked my leaf spring shackle bolts, because 3 weeks ago i installed my aal's, and i remembered on the install paper it said check torque after 300 miles. ive done more than that. so i torqued all 8 bolts to 90 ft lbs, found driver side all 4 were quite loose. and the passenger side all tight, so my guess is when i was stopping or turning the rear axle was actually shifting from side to side, that would explain why no noise on bumps etc. i imagine the control arm bolts being somewhat loose didnt help either.

Thanks for your input guys saved me from looking like a dumbass at the dealer!!

9. Mar 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Glad to know you got it taken care of. Better you than the stealership doing it! :) Cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top