Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

clunking noise?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
tundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nice

tundrataco's Tacoma Gallery
clunking noise?

hey guys, ive been doing some searching but so far am empty handed.

recently ive been hearing a quite loud clunk in the front end of my 07 tacoma 4wd. its only when turning hard, and or braking in foward or reverse.. i can hit bumps all day long with no noise at all. its really when im barely moving and shift the weight from front to back, what could this be!? loose control arm bushings? sway bar?? help!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I think I would put the front end up on jack stands with the wheels hanging and start looking for anything bent or broken
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Bpfaff45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Branden
Bpfaff45's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did the same thing. For some reason it has stopped however. Never did a thing, it just went away. Wish I knew what it was aswell.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
tundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nicetundrataco is just really nice

its going back to the dealer this week, ill post what i/they find
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrataco View Post
its going back to the dealer this week, ill post what i/they find

Get a torque wrench, set to 100ftlbs, get ether a 19mm or 3/4" socket and box wrench, torque lower control arm cam bolts n nuts. The pop may happen once more after, that's just it finally moving back in its place, popping won't happen again til you get an alignment. Alignment tech usually won't torque these bolts all the way.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Get a torque wrench, set to 100ftlbs, get ether a 19mm or 3/4" socket and box wrench, torque lower control arm cam bolts n nuts. The pop may happen once more after, that's just it finally moving back in its place, popping won't happen again til you get an alignment. Alignment tech usually won't torque these bolts all the way.
I agree with this. Happened to me.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
will do thx, ill let u know what happens!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #8

ok guys, fixed it this afternoon! im so glad! i started by checking my lower tables, because i just had an alignment. so got out the 19mm socket and crescent wrench. checked all 4 bolts, the 2 facing the rear of the truck were 2 full turns off of 100ft lbs. the other 2 in the front clicked right away. at the same time i checked my leaf spring shackle bolts, because 3 weeks ago i installed my aal's, and i remembered on the install paper it said check torque after 300 miles. ive done more than that. so i torqued all 8 bolts to 90 ft lbs, found driver side all 4 were quite loose. and the passenger side all tight, so my guess is when i was stopping or turning the rear axle was actually shifting from side to side, that would explain why no noise on bumps etc. i imagine the control arm bolts being somewhat loose didnt help either.

Thanks for your input guys saved me from looking like a dumbass at the dealer!!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to know you got it taken care of. Better you than the stealership doing it! Cheers!