1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catalytic Converter question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spdtaco, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Feb 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    spdtaco

spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 5-lug
    265/75/15 BFG Long Trails
    I'm probably doing the exhaust on my truck soon. I'm not trying to spend a lot of money, so i was thinking of doing just a muffler and a tip. MY question is: how much does a catalytic converter affect your exhaust sound? Also, will my sound be much different if i make it a dual exhaust with a 1in/2out muffler??

2. Feb 10, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Cats will make your exhaust louder if you remove them in general. Depends more on the muffler than on the number of inlet/outlets....Dynomax makes good power in general....Flowmaster has a good sound in general.

It's expensive- but the best way to found out what you like and what works- is to try a combo out. Everything that Chris knows and the limited amount that I'm learning is from experimenting.

3. Feb 10, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    spdtaco

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 5-lug
    no i guess i phrased the question poorly. I was thinking about getting an aftermarket cat. like from magnaflow(carsound) or someone else. Anyway, how does the sound change when you remove the cats? I know its louder but how? Is it deeper? Smoother? Harsher?

4. Feb 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Those cats have to do allot with emissions in most cities. Think twice about removing it. I cannot imagine they are in the cheap dept. I know here in Cali allot of them are being stolen and taken to scrap yards. They seem to get a good bit of money for them then the turn around and shoot that money in their arms or smoke it and even just plain snort it right up! Damn Tweekers!

5. Feb 10, 2009 at 10:36 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    i have the magnaflow cat back..

without the cat it gives a disgusting harsh sound.
    makes the whole cab loud and vibrate.

dont do it.

6. Feb 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    spdtaco

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 5-lug
    How did the magnaflow cat change your sound?

Products Discussed in

To Top