Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Redlining new engine bad?

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
ImWarren is on a distinguished road

Name: Warren
ImWarren's Tacoma Gallery
Redlining new engine bad?

Yes, I know that redlining is never good for your engine. I am also aware that hitting redline every now and then should not cause any serious harm to the vehicle. I have a brand new 2013 tacoma six speed with only 350 miles and I hit the rev limiter a couple of times today trying to get away from some crazy psycho with road rage that was following me. He followed me for about 6 miles on back roads and dirt roads until I made it into town and was able to lose him in traffic. Did I do any damage to my engine or transmission by driving in very high rpms when it's not even broken in yet?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
mattmyster is on a distinguished road

Name: matt
mattmyster's Tacoma Gallery
likely never damaged it, but like you said, its not good on it so try an taker easy
Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
akhermit is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service
Name: Steve
akhermit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWarren View Post
Yes, I know that redlining is never good for your engine. I am also aware that hitting redline every now and then should not cause any serious harm to the vehicle. I have a brand new 2013 tacoma six speed with only 350 miles and I hit the rev limiter a couple of times today trying to get away from some crazy psycho with road rage that was following me. He followed me for about 6 miles on back roads and dirt roads until I made it into town and was able to lose him in traffic. Did I do any damage to my engine or transmission by driving in very high rpms when it's not even broken in yet?
Not good for the engine, but probably no harm done.

You should, however, be careful about p***g people off, there are a lot of idiots out there.

Was her dad really that mad?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
TacoGuy171 is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army: 2VP
Name: Dan
TacoGuy171's Tacoma Gallery
probably lol?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
We need more details on the road rage.
Well some guy in an old Ford Taurus tried to cut me off but I didn't let him so he ended up almost hitting me. He then gets behind me on the highway and stays a foot behind my bumper while flashing his lights at me. I downshift and step on the gas and got to around 85mph (this was a rural highway) and the guy in the taurus also speeds up as well. I knew this guy was crazy when he pulls up beside me and then I get in the left left turn lane and make a left turn and he also turns left from the far right lane. He continued to follow me down back roads while riding my bumper. I tried losing him by flying down bumpy dirt roads and this guy is crazy enough to follow me. I don't know how he was able to keep up with me, his car was catching air whenever he hit bumps cause he was going so fast. He follows me into town and I get stopped at a light. He pulls behind me and gets out his car and runs up to mine, thankfully the light turned green and I peeled away before he could do anything.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Feeding him lead at high rates of speed would slow him down.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck will be fine. I break in my freshly rebuilt engines by taking it slowly to redline and decelerating in gear to seat the rings. As long as you don't hold it at redline for extended periods of time you'll be just fine!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde780 View Post
Your truck will be fine. I break in my freshly rebuilt engines by taking it slowly to redline and decelerating in gear to seat the rings. As long as you don't hold it at redline for extended periods of time you'll be just fine!
Thanks for your input! I feel much better now.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
Feeding him lead at high rates of speed would slow him down.
Haha, yes it would
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Watching DUEL right now, now that's some road rage.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
Whaaaaaaat

Do everything u can to avoid these animals there good at geting u to speed and drive crazy stupid; just let them pass and let them go. Imagine if in your ordeal u hurt an inocent person/child no matter the situation its not worth it. BETTER TO LOSE 5 MINUTES OF YOUR LIFE THAN TO LOOSE YOUR LIFE IN 5 MINUTES.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Man I know how it feels to "hurt" your new truck. But don't worry. You didn't actually hurt it. Consider it a bonding experience between you and your taco. You made it out alive thanks to that truck.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
rev limiter is there for a reason. hitting it wont do any harm IMO... now if you are bouncing off the rev limiter for an hour solid... im pretty sure something will crap out on ya.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWarren View Post
This is why I carry a firearm.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
This is why I carry a firearm.
Damn . If that's the case I would have shot about a dozen people in my life already . I'm in Cali though .
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Better option: Go to a police station. You put other people at risk by speeding around.

And the LAST thing you ever want to have to do is shoot someone.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Weird, I've been on a BMW GS motorcycle the last couple years with zero incidenta, but have had two road-ragers in the last few weeks with my new taco where some guy went nutzo for no apparent reason. Must be Taco envy. lol
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
yeah these modern engines dont have the 'break in' period like they used too. Dont worry about it. Dont make a habit of it, but there should be no problem with your truck.