Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which Taco to choose? Offroad, Sport, 4x2, 4x4???

View Poll Results: Which model whould I go for?
TRD Offroad 4x2 169 11.30%
TRD Sport 4x2 190 12.70%
TRD Offroad 4x4 (long wait or more $$$) 647 43.25%
TRD Sport 4x4 (long wait or more $$$) 490 32.75%
Voters: 1496. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
If you have the money and can wait, get the 4x4 offroad. If not, at least get a 4x4. Trust me, you'll regret it later. Plus, it will have a higher resell value.

You have no idea how many times i've seen people on this forum say "i wish I would have gotten 4x4". Including Derek .
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #24
Right way/Wrong way/Max Powers way
Jeffy likes tassels will become famous soon enough

Jeffy likes tassels's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the 4x4, I have one myself. But for someone who doesn't plan on offroading?

Besides, when I lived in Socal all my friends who were in the offroading scene prefered 4x2 and mod'ed them after trophy trucks.

On the other since there will be a boat involved there is always great comfort in the 4x4 traction when backing down/pulling up a boat ramp.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #26
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, I used to have an e46 2000 328i. I loved it. Here she is right before I sold it last year.

I now drive a desert sand mica 06 Tacoma double cab and I need to get pics of it, but don't have any yet. BTW, get the TRD OffRoad 4x2.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #27
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
I have a sport 4x2 Access cab. I drive mostly paved roads, I go camping as much as I can, and once a month I drive from California to Idaho and back. Roads can get pretty crappy over Donner pass and around jordan vally. Snow and ice. I kind of wish I had 4x4, but you know what? in the year that I have had the truck I have never been in a situation where I needed it. In a year I put chains on once, and it was more to make my wife feel better. I was having fun! If you do mostly city driveing and only a little off roading the 4x2 will do you just fine. If you hardly ever use 4x4 way pay for the gas to lug that trasfer case around? The only reason I wish I had 4x4 is when an Off Road passes me on the street. But screw that! I would probably smoke him off the line. One thing I wish I did have was the locker. If they make a 4x2 off road I would prob get that one. best of luck.
Oh, just looked at the choices again. Ya, get the offroad 4x2.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #28
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
For your usage I'd go 2x4. Enjoy an extra mpg day to day and the $2-3K extra in your pocket for other things.

05-08 Sport or Off-road, same interior and both have a traction device that helps on the ramp. Go with the best deal in the best condition.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #29
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
You can do more with a 2WD than you would think. I have an old 96 2WD taco, bone stock, not lifted or anything. Pretty much the smallish pizza delivery model. In 13 years I've driven it repeatedly in snow ( sometimes pretty significant snow) when I lived on the other side of the country, taken it camping, taken it off road on deeply rutted trails, and spent two weeks in Death Valley on extremely rough terrain. Never have gotten it stuck, and with sand bags in the back, it actually handles pretty good in the Sierras where we go a few times a year.

If I were getting a new Taco and wanted 4x4, I'd get one of the small 4 cylinder 4x4, reg cab, standard bed. Why? Because EVERYONE and their mother has the 4x4 V6 with access cab. I kind of like the dimensions and ratio of the straight-up taco. You hardly ever see them either.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
What about an X-Runner?? Get the performance that you have with the BMW (plus some with mods), and the usability of a truck?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #31
maricopa_taco is on a distinguished road

maricopa_taco's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with others, go with the prerunner. There are more of those in your price range and you can always add mods to it later. Take your time in getting the right one. It took me almost 10 months until I found the right one.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #32
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
i vote x-runner
Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #33
toyotataco is on a distinguished road
toyotataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
What about an X-Runner?? Get the performance that you have with the BMW (plus some with mods), and the usability of a truck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
i vote x-runner
The x-runner cannot tow what I need to tow, plus I'm done with cars that are near the ground, love the prerunners though
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #34
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotataco View Post
The x-runner cannot tow what I need to tow, plus I'm done with cars that are near the ground, love the prerunners though
Go PreRunner! Love it, check sig
Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #35
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
If you have the money and can wait, get the 4x4 offroad. If not, at least get a 4x4. Trust me, you'll regret it later. Plus, it will have a higher resell value.

You have no idea how many times i've seen people on this forum say "i wish I would have gotten 4x4". Including Derek .
Interesting comments. I can't trust you because I don't regret it. Higher resale? So what? You're paying more in the first place.

I have heard people say "I wish I had gotten 4X4" but how many have 4X4 and never use it? I'm sure there are some but they'll never admit they should've gotten 4X2.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #36
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
SR5 4X4!!!

Smoother ride. Unless you are wanting to collect scorpions or like to drive over rocks, you don't need the TRD. Save some $$'s and put it into MODS!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #37
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
get a locked 4x4 taco or just figure on staying near camp.

only lame assed fukstiks would do such a thing
I agree, which is why you shouldn't get it if you don't need it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #38
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
From my experience, you will be happier with a Sport. Going from a Bimmer to an Off-Road Tacoma you will literally say (at least I did) "damn, this thing is squishy." Going from a bimmer to a Sport Tacoma you'll probably be happier since it is less squishy and more street.
My opinion is more unbiased since I don't exactly own one yet and I'm rolling around in a Mazda3 which does about the same as BMW's in the turns.

But I'm still biased to the Sports since that's what I'm gonna get.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #39
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Rippin, is your E36 an M3? I got a friend who recently got a white E36 M3. Such a badass car. I love BMWs.

Get the 4x4.
X2000000000000000000000000000000000000000 "I Love BMWs."
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #40
redmarble is on a distinguished road
redmarble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
Is the performance/ride really that good on a X-Runner??

My 330i feels like a fighter jet, to me... fast, nimble, responsive, and power. And, it drives even better at 140MPH!!