Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which Taco to choose? Offroad, Sport, 4x2, 4x4???

View Poll Results: Which model whould I go for?
TRD Offroad 4x2 169 11.30%
TRD Sport 4x2 190 12.70%
TRD Offroad 4x4 (long wait or more $$$) 647 43.25%
TRD Sport 4x4 (long wait or more $$$) 490 32.75%
Voters: 1496. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #161
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Only one of the TRD packages has the locker and active traction control
You're right. Sorry about that. I was a bit too focused on my TRD Off-Road.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #162
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toytruckmike View Post
Lot's of people love the TRD OR, but I have no idea why a locking diff is important and I don't plan on driving mine over rocks anyway, but I bet it is fun.
When you get into loose, low traction conditions... on each axle, just one tire will spin, and the other does nothing (normal 'open' differential in action).

The tire that spins is not moving you... what you need is the OTHER tire (that is on firm ground) to get the power. With four wheel drive you double your odds of getting through, and that is usually enough... but in a bad place you will have one tire in front and one tire in the rear spinning!

A locking differential, 'locks' both tires on the same axle together so both get equal power (one can't spin and 'take away' power from the other).

The Off Road TRD Tacoma has a factory locking rear differential. Also, with Active Traction Control (only on the Off Road 4WDs), you have near-locker action on the front and rear axles... true four wheel drive, where all the tires are working for you and not just the one on each axle (that slips).
Old 04-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #163
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 OR.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #165
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 4x4 OR.

In all fairness, I've never owned a Sport but I like the skewps.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #166
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
this thread was a year old...
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #167
Senior Clown
Werkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Werkro01's Tacoma Gallery
Why not go with a 4x4 SR5 or even a base? Is the TRD sticker that important? It depends on what you're going to be using the truck for. I got a base 4x4 double cab long bed (DCLB) with a V6 because I viewed the SR5 and TRD packages as having a lot of things that I don't really need like back-up-cameras and NAV systems (in 2012 Tacomas)that are nice but not really necessary in a truck for me. I regret not getting a rear locking diff or the A-track system but I can always add those later if I really find that I need them. But if living in Texas for three years taught me anything it's that you need to be happy with what you drive. Good luck finding a Tacoma for you.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #168
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
If OP hasn't made up his mind in 4 years, I doubt he ever will...

Given his last activity here Was 03-16-2009 at 05:59 PM, I doubt he bought the Tacoma...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #169
imDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Darrin
imDARRIN's Tacoma Gallery
Any particular reason why you are so set on the TRD package? it's a lot of extra $$ for not that much bang. If your wanting the 4x4 yet pressed for money then why not take the route of building your ride with either same parts for cheaper or better parts if you so choose, personalizing it to your preferences? SR5 4x4 (if you need/want it) and then go from there.
HB represent!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #170
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
I selected the TRD Sport 4x4, but would seriously consider keeping the BMW.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #171
uk1n1na177 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
uk1n1na177's Tacoma Gallery
Old post but I bought a 4x4 Off Road. Never used the locker, downhill assist, hill climb. But I have used the 4WD for snow about 20 times the last 4.5 years. So if the difference is $3000 for 2WD vs 4WD then I paid an extra $150 each time for convenience. I don't regret buying 4WD. Not having to put chains on during a blizzard was worth the extra $.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #173
dunwur is on a distinguished road
dunwur's Tacoma Gallery
For driving on snow or icy roads , A 4x4 is a must . They go anywhere , safely .....
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #174
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk1n1na177 View Post
Old post but I bought a 4x4 Off Road. Never used the locker, downhill assist, hill climb. But I have used the 4WD for snow about 20 times the last 4.5 years. So if the difference is $3000 for 2WD vs 4WD then I paid an extra $150 each time for convenience. I don't regret buying 4WD. Not having to put chains on during a blizzard was worth the extra $.
I'm glad I bought 4WD too even though it doesn't snow here, I'm close to it. If I can buy a $28,000 truck, I can buy a $31,000 truck. I would be happy without the TRD as well, just a V6 SR5.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #175
DoubleCabD is on a distinguished road
DoubleCabD's Tacoma Gallery
Southern CA like me ... I bought the 4x2 trd off-road because like you, I would be driving mostly on the highway but can go off-road for the occasional fun - trails mostly. For anything more than that, I bought a 4x4 4runner that I can take pretty much anywhere else, river bottom or whatever.

And oh man, you're going to miss the BMW, I know I miss mine - repairs though were out of hand for it so I got rid of her. You'll love the truck, good luck!

Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #176
2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future2Tac0s has a brilliant future

Name: Philip
2Tac0s's Tacoma Gallery
I just sold my modded 07 335i for my 13 Tacoma. I don't miss the BMW at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #178
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome, and nice car.

I got the 4x2. Really no need for more in SoCal unless you're a dedicated off-roader.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #179
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont plan to use it offroad, i would say go with a TRD Sport, while techincally the towing capacity is the same for the sport and the offroad, the sport has the stronger rearend.

Also i dont ever want one as i use 4x4 quite often but if you get the prerunner your maint cost and purchase cost will be lower. So my vote would be

DC Trd Sport prerunner. The resale is higher on DC models, so if you can live with the smaller cab, which i like better anyway get a AC.

If you get a AC TRD Sport 6spd the resale is lower, since most want double cab and auto, so your purchase price will be lower. Plus you will have an extra foot of bed space! But you will pay more for fuel with the manual than the auto (seems ass backward but true)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #180
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
on another note, if its a steep ramp 4x4 is always nice pulling the boat out. but its not a do or die thing, 4x2 works just fine.