Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which Taco to choose? Offroad, Sport, 4x2, 4x4???

View Poll Results: Which model whould I go for?
TRD Offroad 4x2 169 11.30%
TRD Sport 4x2 190 12.70%
TRD Offroad 4x4 (long wait or more $$$) 647 43.25%
TRD Sport 4x4 (long wait or more $$$) 490 32.75%
Voters: 1496. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
toyotataco is on a distinguished road
toyotataco's Tacoma Gallery
Which Taco to choose? Offroad, Sport, 4x2, 4x4???

Okay, so I am currently driving a 2000 BMW 323ci, which is another one of those cars, like Tacomas, that you can spend a lot of time and money modifying to make it better and your own. I had a great time with it, and it was one hell of a first car, but I'm now looking to get a 2005+ Tacoma.

I called my insurance company today and they informed me that adding a Tacoma with the V6 to the policy would only be $40.00 more per year

So now that that worry is out of the way, I am left deciding which model to go for.

The poll shows the options I am between. I will mostly be doing highway/city miles, and most likely very little offroad (but maybe some once I have the capability). I will most likely also visit the mountains during the winter once or twice a year. The biggest need for a truck is to tow a boat, which I have already confirmed is within the Tacomas towing limits. I will be getting a Tacoma with the Tow Package.

There are a couple reasons why I am favoring the 2WD, first I will be driving on the road 95% of the time and only some will be towing, I have been told that either the locker or LSD will get me up the boat launch. I am also having trouble finding any 4x4 off road, or Sports in my price range (<19,000) with low miles and anywhere nearby to socal. Also it is nice to get a little better mpg. So if I go for a 4x4 it will most likely be either more expensive, far away, or a long wait.

I would definitely have the following options: TRD Offroad or Sport, Double Cab, Short or Long bed, Tow Package, V6.

Anyways, I have been looking around this forum for a little while and love atmosphere, very helpful and nice, not too much bashing, and now I would like all of your opinions on what truck you would get, or which one I should get. Thanks in advance.

Pic of my car currently:
Attached Thumbnails
Which Taco to choose? Offroad, Sport, 4x2, 4x4???-p1010040-no-plate.jpg  
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Dude.... that's an awesome car....
It's nice to see someone local...I'm in Buena Park.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have the BMW bug as well, owned a nice E36 that I modded for awhile... THEN I got the Tacoma bug and haven't looked back. I don't miss bottoming out all the time and worrying about stupid lil scratches, etc. Love my Tacoma, but will always have a side for nice BMWs

Nice lookin car! Take your time finding the right Tacoma for you

Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
BlueXenon is on a distinguished road

BlueXenon's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased a DC, TRD Sport, Prerunner short bed, tow package. I like you will be on roads about 98% of the time so therefore I dont need the 4X4. What sold me on the Sport model was the grill, and rear bumper were color matched along with the mirrors and door handles. It just looks nicer that way and I hate chrome with a passion. I also got the tow package because I will do towing here and there. All in all, go with what you need and what looks good to you.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Rippin, is your E36 an M3? I got a friend who recently got a white E36 M3. Such a badass car. I love BMWs.

Get the 4x4.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Rippin, is your E36 an M3? I got a friend who recently got a white E36 M3. Such a badass car. I love BMWs.

Get the 4x4.
I think it is an M3, it has the door badge and the mirrors, could be wrong though.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
i would go for the TRD Sport 4x2 since you would hardly use the 4x4 which would be about 2% of the year, tacomas have very good resale value so if you do want to resale than you won't get shafted, i said the sport thinking that your really into the sporty looks and with the BMW but if you want to get something more rugged and leave the BMW for your sports car get the off road, the difference is everything on the sport is color keyed, scooped hood and sport suspension and 17 in wheels, the TRD offroad has chrome on the grille surround and bumper possibly rearveiw mirrors front, locking rear differential, and 16in wheels, hope that helps, i clicked 4x4 sport on the poll, i meant to vote for 4x2 sport, the only thing is about 4x4 is if you do get stuck you will wished you have gotten it even just for that one time
Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotataco View Post
I would definitely have the following options: TRD Offroad or Sport
Does it have to be a TRD? Would the SR5 work for you?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
TW Addict
Y0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to allY0TA is a name known to all

Army: (01/2006-07/2009)B 2-44 ADA 101st Airbone Air Assault Division
Name: Zac
Y0TA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Y0TA
Well for me I got the Sport 4x4, but wish I had the Offroad. The gas mileage wouldn't be that bad comparing 4x2 and 4x4. It's almost about the same. Plus it is a truck, and IMO, a truck needs to be 4x4. I won't be taking mine offroad hardly at all for I have an old Toyota beater for that. But if I need it, its there. Good luck on your decision and welcome to the Toyota Brotherhood.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Get what you need/want. If you don't need 4X4, don't get it but only you can know your needs and wants. Personally, I have absolutely no use for 4X4. I would never get into serious offroading and if I did it sure wouldn't be in my daily driver.

Shortly, someone will be along with the tired old "Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it" argument. I guess that person also owns a howitzer instead of a handgun because you never know when you'll need that kind of firepower.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
If you won't be offroading then definitely go with a 4x2. The Off Road 4x2 is very capable off road anyways.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
If you won't be offroading then definitely go with a 4x2. The Off Road 4x2 is very capable off road anyways.
That's what I've heard, and that Locker > LSD
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My locker has come in handy.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotataco View Post
I think it is an M3, it has the door badge and the mirrors, could be wrong though.
Good eyes! Ya I added all that M3 stuff, loved the look, wish I could have actually afforded one (one day!).

Its a 328i sport. Only reason it has that M3 badge on the side is because otherwise there would be a hole there, trust me, there wasn't a badge on the back! Loved that car though...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 is very handy when you need it......................but not totally necessary, depending on where you live/weather,etc. if you think the 4x2 will be better for you....by all means, get it. the locker is very handy when you need it, but for mostly on road driving....the lsd is probably a bit better. either way..............you'll have an awesome truck, and the v6 in the 2nd gens is an awesome motor!! get what you think you'll be happy with.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
redmarble is on a distinguished road
redmarble's Tacoma Gallery
Proud original owner of a 2002 BMW 300i and a newly acquired (in December) 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Off Road, Double Cab, Tow Pkg. I, too, drive city about 95% of the time and went with a 4x2 instead of the 4x4. I'm convincing my brother to trade in his 4x4 Jeep for a 4x4 Tacoma.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
Right way/Wrong way/Max Powers way
Jeffy likes tassels will become famous soon enough

Jeffy likes tassels's Tacoma Gallery
A PreRunner sounds right up your ally since you live in SoCal and the of the 5% offroading you would do, it would mostly be dry desertish terrain.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #19

Good point Jeffy.

It's SoCal. Even offroading you would rarely need 4x4 unless you're doing hardcore stuff. I've pushed the limits with my 4x2 and I've never been stuck. (Deep soft sand doesn't count and ruts don't count!)
Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Oh derek sunday is gonna be good! we're gonna make sure you get stuck