1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car seat in double cab (Orbit Baby)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slmgt, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Also if there are not latch lower anchors for the middle seat, do not try to use the ones from the outer seats. They are designed to be a specific distance apart, and misuse could result in injury/death in a collision. Also the new standard is latch is good for up to 40lbs TOTAL including the seat

2. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Our little man rides behind the driver in both our car and truck.
    That way the passenger (Mom) can reach back and get him his toys while I drive. His job is to kick the back of my seat. He was center when he was little in a baby seat, now that he's bigger he can face forward and look out the windows.

btw- Our Safety1st seat says explicitly not to use LATCH and belts at the same time..

3. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Do the 12's and up have the latch for the middle? Because my 11 doesn't.

I contacted one of the manufacturers (can't remember if it was Evenflow or Graco which is in my wife's car) about the center being safer since I don't have center latches and their response was that it was safer to use the latch system rather than put it in the middle using the seat belts. Not sure why? Besides that, even in the middle out car seat is too wide and is so big that I'd be awful cramped so I put ours on the passenger side. My wife is shorter anyway and it doesn't bother her. Plus we mostly take her car when together anyway.

This is interesting though, won't be much longer and my seat will go into my wife's car when my little guy starts facing forward. Not sure yet what will go in my truck at that point but would like to put it in the middle still. I think as front facing it should fit without having to push the seats up.

4. Mar 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    go with what the manufacturer says then

I'm certified in installing and inspecting child safety seats, and when in doubt, we always refer back to the manufacturers of either the seat or vehicle or both depending on the issue at hand

Regardless, we typically teach that LATCH and seatbelts are the same when it comes to securing the seat as long as the method you choose is done properly and within weight specs. The seat should move approx 1" from side to side when properly secured

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    tacoma manual says, when using the LATCH system the outer seats have to be used. Double cab models.

Only the middle seat can be used with the vehicles seat belt. I know from the past, most people/companies recommend they be placed in the rear seat and place in the middle of that seat.

Sorry to steer anyone in the wrong way.

6. Mar 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Well I was going by memory but I can't find the email where I contacted them. I remember contacting about something. May have just been my wife saying the latch would be better. I don't want to steer anyone wrong myself.

7. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    slmgt

slmgt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    I had already reviewed the owner's manual numerous times before starting this thread and have gotten the installation of our car seat adapter and car seat comfortably down.

User experiences help color in the black and white text of owner manuals.

Orbit baby car seat adapters are secure when they have next to no lateral movement per the manual. The forward portion of the adapter has a lot more slack than the firm buttocks.

My priority of positioning is as follows (for now):
    1) Rear passenger
    2) Rear driver
    3) Rear middle

The manual and I agree about prioritizing the LATCH system when available.:)

It'll all potentially change in any other vehicle :rolleyes:

Any more input is appreciated, because I like to see situations from all sides.

Thanks so far folks!

8. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    :thumbsup:

you know what's bad? I have no kids, will not have any in the foreseeable future, and I know how to install safety seats better than a LOT of parents

9. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Yeah it's a sad fact but I'd hope with your training and certification you would have more knowledge in car seat installation than most. It's up to people like you to spread the word on how to properly install car seats and show them how to do it the right way.

A lot of folks assume getting the belt restraint as tight as possible will suffice in an accident.

I'll admit that I still want my child's seat to be looked at even though it is secured the way the manuals say. Just that extra reassurance is peace of mind.:eek:

10. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    bmpskir

bmpskir Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dover, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport DCLB 4.0 auto
    I've got 3 car seats in the back of my truck... yup... 3... how dumb am I? I put my middle behind me so it isn't as bad taking him out in traffic and he doesn't need as much leg room, the youngest goes in the middle using the seat belt - perfectly safe - and the oldest goes on the passenger side where I can pull the seat up a bit for more leg room...

11. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    This, for the first (take out/carry) car seat. My son is pretty close to the weight limit on that now, so had he graduated to the next seat. Those are the ones that are hard to fit. All the good/highly rated ones are huge. So in order for that one to fit, it has to be behind the passenger seat for me. I drive with my seat pretty far back. So won't fit in the middle like his other seat. Other issue I had with all the new seats, is the don't recline enough for our back seats, so I had to use a tightly rolled up towel, which I read on a few manufacture's website's that it is safe to do. Until he is forward facing, will have to deal with it as is. Hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top