Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Car seat in double cab (Orbit Baby)

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Also if there are not latch lower anchors for the middle seat, do not try to use the ones from the outer seats. They are designed to be a specific distance apart, and misuse could result in injury/death in a collision. Also the new standard is latch is good for up to 40lbs TOTAL including the seat
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Our little man rides behind the driver in both our car and truck.
That way the passenger (Mom) can reach back and get him his toys while I drive. His job is to kick the back of my seat. He was center when he was little in a baby seat, now that he's bigger he can face forward and look out the windows.

btw- Our Safety1st seat says explicitly not to use LATCH and belts at the same time..
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan3306 View Post
Middle of the rear seat is the best for an infant. The middle also has the LATCH system. You also have side airbags to think about if you put here on the right or left side.
I'd check with the local fire department (or a TW fire fighter) and see what they recommend.
Do the 12's and up have the latch for the middle? Because my 11 doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
You need to check the owners manual

Opinions are great, but no one here has done the extensive testing that vehicle and child safety seat manufacturers have

The owners manual will have the proper seat placement listed

There is no safer option between latch and seat belt if secured properly and having both will not dd any extra security

Check with your local fd or pd to have your seat checked to see if it's properly and safely secured
I contacted one of the manufacturers (can't remember if it was Evenflow or Graco which is in my wife's car) about the center being safer since I don't have center latches and their response was that it was safer to use the latch system rather than put it in the middle using the seat belts. Not sure why? Besides that, even in the middle out car seat is too wide and is so big that I'd be awful cramped so I put ours on the passenger side. My wife is shorter anyway and it doesn't bother her. Plus we mostly take her car when together anyway.

This is interesting though, won't be much longer and my seat will go into my wife's car when my little guy starts facing forward. Not sure yet what will go in my truck at that point but would like to put it in the middle still. I think as front facing it should fit without having to push the seats up.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Do the 12's and up have the latch for the middle? Because my 11 doesn't.

I contacted one of the manufacturers (can't remember if it was Evenflow or Graco which is in my wife's car) about the center being safer since I don't have center latches and their response was that it was safer to use the latch system rather than put it in the middle using the seat belts. Not sure why? Besides that, even in the middle out car seat is too wide and is so big that I'd be awful cramped so I put ours on the passenger side. My wife is shorter anyway and it doesn't bother her. Plus we mostly take her car when together anyway.

This is interesting though, won't be much longer and my seat will go into my wife's car when my little guy starts facing forward. Not sure yet what will go in my truck at that point but would like to put it in the middle still. I think as front facing it should fit without having to push the seats up.
go with what the manufacturer says then

I'm certified in installing and inspecting child safety seats, and when in doubt, we always refer back to the manufacturers of either the seat or vehicle or both depending on the issue at hand

Regardless, we typically teach that LATCH and seatbelts are the same when it comes to securing the seat as long as the method you choose is done properly and within weight specs. The seat should move approx 1" from side to side when properly secured
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
tacoma manual says, when using the LATCH system the outer seats have to be used. Double cab models.

Only the middle seat can be used with the vehicles seat belt. I know from the past, most people/companies recommend they be placed in the rear seat and place in the middle of that seat.

Sorry to steer anyone in the wrong way.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
go with what the manufacturer says then

I'm certified in installing and inspecting child safety seats, and when in doubt, we always refer back to the manufacturers of either the seat or vehicle or both depending on the issue at hand

Regardless, we typically teach that LATCH and seatbelts are the same when it comes to securing the seat as long as the method you choose is done properly and within weight specs. The seat should move approx 1" from side to side when properly secured
Well I was going by memory but I can't find the email where I contacted them. I remember contacting about something. May have just been my wife saying the latch would be better. I don't want to steer anyone wrong myself.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
I had already reviewed the owner's manual numerous times before starting this thread and have gotten the installation of our car seat adapter and car seat comfortably down.

User experiences help color in the black and white text of owner manuals.

Orbit baby car seat adapters are secure when they have next to no lateral movement per the manual. The forward portion of the adapter has a lot more slack than the firm buttocks.

My priority of positioning is as follows (for now):
1) Rear passenger
2) Rear driver
3) Rear middle

The manual and I agree about prioritizing the LATCH system when available.

It'll all potentially change in any other vehicle

Any more input is appreciated, because I like to see situations from all sides.

Thanks so far folks!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #28
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmgt View Post
I had already reviewed the owner's manual numerous times before starting this thread and have gotten the installation of our car seat adapter and car seat comfortably down.

User experiences help color in the black and white text of owner manuals.

Orbit baby car seat adapters are secure when they have next to no lateral movement per the manual. The forward portion of the adapter has a lot more slack than the firm buttocks.

My priority of positioning is as follows (for now):
1) Rear passenger
2) Rear driver
3) Rear middle

The manual and I agree about prioritizing the LATCH system when available.

It'll all potentially change in any other vehicle

Any more input is appreciated, because I like to see situations from all sides.

Thanks so far folks!

you know what's bad? I have no kids, will not have any in the foreseeable future, and I know how to install safety seats better than a LOT of parents
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #29
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:

you know what's bad? I have no kids, will not have any in the foreseeable future, and I know how to install safety seats better than a LOT of parents
Yeah it's a sad fact but I'd hope with your training and certification you would have more knowledge in car seat installation than most. It's up to people like you to spread the word on how to properly install car seats and show them how to do it the right way.

A lot of folks assume getting the belt restraint as tight as possible will suffice in an accident.

I'll admit that I still want my child's seat to be looked at even though it is secured the way the manuals say. Just that extra reassurance is peace of mind.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #30
bmpskir will become famous soon enoughbmpskir will become famous soon enough

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 3 car seats in the back of my truck... yup... 3... how dumb am I? I put my middle behind me so it isn't as bad taking him out in traffic and he doesn't need as much leg room, the youngest goes in the middle using the seat belt - perfectly safe - and the oldest goes on the passenger side where I can pull the seat up a bit for more leg room...
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #31
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyoffoo View Post
I had to put my son's car seat in the middle, wouldn't fit comfortably behind either the driver's seat or passenger seat.
This, for the first (take out/carry) car seat. My son is pretty close to the weight limit on that now, so had he graduated to the next seat. Those are the ones that are hard to fit. All the good/highly rated ones are huge. So in order for that one to fit, it has to be behind the passenger seat for me. I drive with my seat pretty far back. So won't fit in the middle like his other seat. Other issue I had with all the new seats, is the don't recline enough for our back seats, so I had to use a tightly rolled up towel, which I read on a few manufacture's website's that it is safe to do. Until he is forward facing, will have to deal with it as is. Hope this helps.