Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Shocks Bilstein 5100

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery

When installing the rear shocks, how far down do I tighten the screws on the shocks? There's no instruction on the rear shocks at all so I just wona make sure I'm not over tighten them. I'm just carious if you guys can give me some pointers as to how far down I should tighten the two top screws. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Tighten them down just enough to mush the bushing a little.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
You can wiggle the bottom of the boot down the shock to make it look better if you are a little OCD like me..it comes that way after a while tho anyways..lol
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Thanks guys!

The ride feels so much improved and controlled just having the two rear shocks installed compare to the ride when the stockers were still on my truck. The stockers felt like I was sitting in an unstable cannoe. I wish I would have swapped these shocks on the day I bought this truck. Stockers will never go back on the truck again. I'm gona work on the two front shocks when time permits.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
kbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbauman92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kbauman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
What in the world is that beside the two front shocks?? They are cool looking whatever they are lol.
x2 they look sweet
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
The spring seats on my front Bilstein 5100's shocks are made of aluminum. When did they switch them over to the black painted steel??
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
TexasCub is on a distinguished road
TexasCub's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't like the way the boot looks just cut the zip tie, slide it down further and rezip tie in place.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillynwv View Post
The spring seats on my front Bilstein 5100's shocks are made of aluminum. When did they switch them over to the black painted steel??
^X2
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What in the world is that beside the two front shocks?? They are cool looking whatever they are lol.
Interesting looking. Are they a steering stabilizer?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Bump, I'd like to know as well!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Bump, I'd like to know as well!
Same here!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty sure those little coilovers are for his motorcycle?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Sorry guys, I was at work and was not allow to surf the net for fun so I was unable to answer your questions as to what those little shocks are for. Just got back. J.Nguyen was right. Those are 440 Progressive springs for motorcycle.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Woh...., A local shop estimated that it would cost me $213.00 for swapping the two front shocks.

I think I will opt for DIY shop . Isn't that price a little on the high side considering I have my own shocks already?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinztaco View Post
Woh...., A local shop estimated that it would cost me $213.00 for swapping the two front shocks.

I think I will opt for DIY shop . Isn't that price a little on the high side considering I have my own shocks already?
I am getting my 5100s soon. I think I'm going to do it myself using the floor jack method. Saves me a couple hundred!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinztaco View Post

Rear driver side: The dust boot looks like it is being over compressed. Is this normal?

Rear passenger side:

This is how mine looked-- When I added my AAL, it went perfectly straight. I think (my theory) that since the 5100's are made to withstand extra rear lift, the boots are made longer for that reason. Just a guess
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
L J will become famous soon enoughL J will become famous soon enough

L J's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get the washers and spacers in the right order? There is a special washer with a raised ring in the middle that centers the shock so it doesn't chew up the mount on the truck. I did thick plain steel washer, rubber spacer, special thin chrome washer with raised middle faced up. Put shock through mount and add rubber spacer, thick chrome washer and tighten nut till the spacers just start to bulge beyond the edge of the washer. My dust covers look just like your's.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nguyen View Post
I am pretty sure those little coilovers are for his motorcycle?

Ahhhh!! Makes more sense now.....I was highly confused as to what they could be for. Yes $213 is very high!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
Quote:
Ahhhh!! Makes more sense now.....I was highly confused as to what they could be for. Yes $213 is very high!!!
I went to another shop and the guy checked his computer and told me it would cost me $220.00 +Tax to swap my two front shocks. Yike!!! So, the first guy actually gave me a better deal.

I'm heading to the DIY Shop !