Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plate bumper build...should I add a hoop?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Ca Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
Ca Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Plate bumper build...should I add a hoop?

I'm nearing completion of my plate bumper, but can't decide if I should add a tube hoop or not.......what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Plate bumper build...should I add a hoop?-imag0375.jpg   Plate bumper build...should I add a hoop?-imag0372.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I think a single hoop would look good however, You should add more of a gap between the top of the bumper and your headlights/fenders. One thing is going to give once you start to flex and it isnt going to be the bumper.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Ca Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I added struts which I can pre-load to keep that from being too much of an issue. Once the bumper is off the truck, I'm going to trim the inside to be comfortably away from the fenders. There's nothing to hit under the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Plate bumper build...should I add a hoop?-imag0371.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work man
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
hardly looks like enough lip to get a bar on there without some sort of issue arising imo.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Fab a hoop up, tack it on. If it looks they way you like weld it up. If not take it off.
Looks good tho. I like the hoop idea.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
I vote hoop. But I might be a bit biased. better for keeping the truck protected IMHO. Especially from deer and the like.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Deathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Deathproofduck's Tacoma Gallery
Retro sockmonkey decals would set this off perfectly.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

Ca Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Mr.Grimm for the advise. You're right! I thought there'd be enough strength in the 3/16" plate to keep the outside tips from flexing, but they do. If I hit a rock near the tip, it will push up into the fender. I hope the struts I have in place now will keep the bumper from moving at the center points. I'm thinking I'll lower the bumper 1/4", trim the inside edges for more clearance, and box in the undersides of the extensions to make them more rigid. I'm also going to add diagonal struts to keep the tips from flexing up. Good call.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job man! looks good. I think a hoop would look pretty good on it, tac one on and see.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
CLODHOPPER is on a distinguished road

CLODHOPPER's Tacoma Gallery
A triple hoop with headlight guards like RELENTLESS makes would be the cherry on top fella!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great as is! I think it will look bad ass either way!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
I went full hoop, no regrets. I like looking across my hood and seeing them peeking up. Reminds me I have a deer slaying hunk of metal up there.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
willee51 is on a distinguished road

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb 3-hoop all the way!

Long story short! Better to get the hoops from the builder, than regret it later!!!

Had a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, before my Taco, and it had a custom F-bumper w/hoops. 3-deer ran out in front of me one morning at 4:00am If not for some deer-hair, you'd have never known! The 1/4 steel 4x4 custom bumper with hoops, saved my ass, jeep and NO trip to the body-shop!

That one incident paid for the bumper and $250 shipping from out West. (pricey shipping yes, but it came cross-country w/o one scratch by "truck")

My 2-cents

Looking for a similair F-bumper for my Taco, but I do want aluminum this time, so save weight and reduce the loss of mpg, resulting from all Mods
Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Learning Mode
Telluride is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Telluride's Tacoma Gallery
I would think a center hoop w/ a couple of round lights in there would look great. Got a better picture of your headache rack?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #16

Ca Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The headache rack is actually a roll bar I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Plate bumper build...should I add a hoop?-imag0377.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Learning Mode
Telluride is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Telluride's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca Taco View Post
The headache rack is actually a roll bar I made.
I like it! Also like the old school KC lights on top...don't see that much.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
how much to make a bumper for me
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Bonomonster is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Bonomonster's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work.... I'd say yes to the hoop
Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, I would try and tack a single hoop to see what it looks like.