Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wrangler Diesel deposit(Taco for sale)

Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
My hopes would that Chrysler will set the bar for diesel engines, and that will set off the other manufactures to follow the leader so to speak. So fingers crossed Toyota will follow suit.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Ram is putting a diesel in the 1500 series.
I think more customers would opt for a diesel than you think. Yes it is more expensive up front, but that's because it's worth it. MPG, torque, longevity.

We all bought a toyota and paid a premium for it. Everything worth having has a price.
Downside to having a diesel is repairs, and when they go downhill they go downhill. Thousand dollars to replace one injector, there's also the 12 quart oil changes too. I will just stick to my gas engine.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
You should swap grilles with me first...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
The $4500 upcharge and the price per gallon of fuel outweighs any benefits for me. Cool for sure, but nothing I gotta have. Midlife - what makes the diesel call to you?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i always wanted a wrangler but no way in hell would i sell off my tacoma to get one.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife4X4fix View Post
I just put down my deposit on the upcoming 3.0L(420 lb\ft MBZ) V6 diesel Wrangler. Take note Toyota! Loosing a 6 truck customer due to your ignorance to customer demand.
I have about a year wait so I thought I would let you guys know that I will either be trading in or selling my Taco.
Hey,
Well good luck when you get it however, I have bought 2 first year production vehicles basically because I didn't learn the first time...I understand you want what you want it is your money and choice. I would caution you to perhaps wait till they are on the streets a year. Both first year production runs I bought one 99 Chevy Silverado new body style an the Jeep Commanche 1990 were very expensive lessons.

Cypher
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
If the diesel was on option on the current model I think there would be a lot less issues. But the article I read said the diesel will likely be introduced with the new model redesign which IMO the first years of a new model of a new model being there are numerous issues that need addressing.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
TexasCub is on a distinguished road
TexasCub's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
The $4500 upcharge and the price per gallon of fuel outweighs any benefits for me. Cool for sure, but nothing I gotta have. Midlife - what makes the diesel call to you?
Yup, they have pretty much killed all the Pros to owning a diesel, unless money is a non issue!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife4X4fix View Post
I just put down my deposit on the upcoming 3.0L(420 lb\ft MBZ) V6 diesel Wrangler. Take note Toyota! Loosing a 6 truck customer due to your ignorance to customer demand.
I have about a year wait so I thought I would let you guys know that I will either be trading in or selling my Taco.
You live in space?? Thats sweet. I'd recommend just saving up for an X Wing fighter, cars don't do so well in the Zero gravity environment
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a diesel check out diesel toys they have converted toyota tacomas to have diesels on them its expensive but I would rather have a jap diesel than a chrysler any day
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #31
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Downside to having a diesel is repairs, and when they go downhill they go downhill. Thousand dollars to replace one injector, there's also the 12 quart oil changes too. I will just stick to my gas engine.
This is not entirely true. You are referring to current diesel engines in 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, a small displacement diesel would not be as bad to maintain. It will not have a 6-7L engine so you won't have the 12 quart oil changes. As far as the parts, diesels are relatively simple engines. When properly maintained, you can go a couple hundred thousand miles with very little upkeep aside from general maintenance. Actually, my Tacoma has the highest schedule maintenance cost out of any vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Just a taught, who needs a truck and buys one and then a Jeep is just as good?
I bought my truck because I need a "TRUCK", when I just want a car for transportation
I'll consider one, even a Jeep.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #33
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
Enjoy your new Fiatt/ er Jeep
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #34
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Just a taught, who needs a truck and buys one and then a Jeep is just as good?
I bought my truck because I need a "TRUCK", when I just want a car for transportation
I'll consider one, even a Jeep.
Not everyone here "needs" a truck per se. I wanted 4x4 and something that could tow a decent amount. The other vehicle I was looking at was the Xterra. That word have served me just as well. I decided on the truck just for ease of transporting bikes, kayaks, etc without needing a roof rack.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #35
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I almost broke my neck trying to look at your truck LOL. GLWS OP. Good idea for Jeep but I'd still be weary of buying a Chrysler product right now.
I did the exact same thing.

Honestly OP, I think its a stupid ass decision to sell your nice looking truck for a wrangler just because you HAVE to have a diesel. By the time you get it diesel will probably have shot through the roof in price and you will be spending more on that jeep than you ever would with your truck. Lets see, biggest benefit to having a diesel is the torque and towing ability...and remind me how acclaimed the Wrangler is as a tow rig....or wait...its not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
If the diesel was on option on the current model I think there would be a lot less issues. But the article I read said the diesel will likely be introduced with the new model redesign which IMO the first years of a new model of a new model being there are numerous issues that need addressing.
also a valid point... a new style with a new engine to that vehicle and you are going to buy the first ones off the production line...HELLO ISSUES!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
fl10 is on a distinguished road
fl10's Tacoma Gallery
$4500 for the diesel? No thanks, and the gas mileage myth has gone downhill since the epa mandated particulate filters they have to run now.

Doesn't Fiat own a large part or even a majority of Jeep now?

Experience-Former Super Duty Powerstroke owner. The extra torque is nice when towing but I just don't see the need in a Jeep. Cute idea tho.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #37
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Owning the first Jeep Wrangler Diesel would make you a Pioneer. Whats that saying, "They way to tell a Pioneer is by the arrows in his back."
Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #38
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
considering the depreciation hit you'll take on selling your taco and any money put into the new jeep, wouldn't it be cheaper, less work, and a better product in the end to just do a diesel conversion?

sure it's expensive, but so is selling your truck for a new jeep with the rubicon package...
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #39
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl10 View Post
$4500 for the diesel? No thanks, and the gas mileage myth has gone downhill since the epa mandated particulate filters they have to run now.

Doesn't Fiat own a large part or even a majority of Jeep now?

Experience-Former Super Duty Powerstroke owner. The extra torque is nice when towing but I just don't see the need in a Jeep. Cute idea tho.
Yeah, doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Towing power is the obvious advantage, but as IDtruck and you pointed out the Wrangler isn't a bigtime tower, I believe right now with the Pentastar 285HP it's only 3500 lbs with the optional tow package.

But too each his own, good luck with it OP.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #40
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post

did some quick googling and seems it would just need to conform to EPA and DOT safety requirements...which I'm pretty sure it does already and wouldn't need the expensive testing done..

If I lived in Texas i'd totally look into driving one back from Mexico.
Don't think it will pass north America standards diesel won't regardless won't pass emissions.