1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wrangler Diesel deposit(Taco for sale)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by midlife4X4fix, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    If I get a Jetta TDI can I haul big weight? How much?

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    lol, boot.

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    lol

4. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Last September I bout a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. It has the 2.8 liter VM engine. Same manufacturer as the new diesels Chrysler will be using. It is as an awesome little engine...Well it would be if Chrysler and the EPA didn't mess with it.

The thermostats are known to go bad prematurely. No big deal you say, but they cost $160.

The EGR system destroys the turbo. It blows soot through the intake tract, thus into the turbocharger. This oily soot also weakens and causes ruptures in the boost hoses. They cost About $280 for OEM or aftermarket silicone replacements. The EGR system also clogs up a variety of sensors and costs about 2 mpg.

The transmission is junk. Rather, the torque converter is junk. The engine make between 285 and 295 foot pounds of torque at 1800 rpm. They chose to back it with the 5-45RFE trans, the same 5 speed auto used in Hemi power Ram 1500s. Should be plenty strong, except that that trans is not designed for high torque at low rpms. It causes the torque converter to shudder at lock up in gears 3-5 for about 400 rpm at the torque peak. No big deal? That's between 52 and 62 mph, right where most people drive. This shuddering is not only annoying but potentially destructive. Another Chrysler oversight. My Jeep has been in 2 different dealerships, five times and had two torque converters installed. Still no resolution.

The fuel economy is great, as long as you are on the highway. I can get 26mpg of I keep the speed below 70. Around town, however, it is closer to 15 mpg. Only slightly more than a gas version. In 600 miles, I have averaged 20.85 mpg in mixed driving.

The computer system, and most of the drivetrain are a hodgepodge mixture of various parts that do not always work together.

You can say that all these things may have been addressed by Chrysler. I still don't trust them. My feeling is that they are going to bitch it up, just like they have done in the past.

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    sounds like a fucking nightmare

6. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    It has been a real eye opener. Not sure that I would ever buy another Chrysler. Certainly not one of their Italian diesels.

7. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    well its weird, because the liberty's are actually really reliable, i would say one of the better chrysler products.

8. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I don't know if I would call them reliable. I have had three, granted, all 2002-2005 since September. The first dropped an ignition coil, backfired and broke both cats. That one went back to the dealership after 2 days. My daughters broke a vale spring, the valve seat fell out of the head and the valve hit the piston. It's in the shop now. You know my diesel story.

Perhaps just my bad experiences.

9. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    well they are still chrysler...

10. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's a diesel so it should be good for at least 10k lbs. They don't make a class V receiver for the Jetta though so you'll have to weld one up in the trunk and use a gooseneck trailer :rolleyes:

Good review. I said it in another thread and I'll say it again here, I really hope that the new Jeep and Ram 1500 diesels work out well rather than adding to the stigma that already surrounds diesels. If they make a good, quality engine and it gets good reviews, it would force other manufacturers to respond. It wouldn't necessarily lead to more diesels, but would push others to be more innovative. Personally, I really hope this little endeavor is a success for Chrysler.

11. Mar 6, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    TexasCub

TexasCub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    You couldn't pay me enough to own a Chrysler anything, and to compare Toyota reliability and longevity to any Chrysler including Jeeps, is laughable at best!

12. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    You could definitely pay me enough to own a Chrysler. Pay me enough to put 10 grand into my Pickup and buy an 80 series and put another 30 grand into that and I'll leave that brand new Chrysler right smack dab in front of my house for years for the whole world to see!

13. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    The OP abandoned the thread. lulz..

14. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    Hahahaha

15. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I used to agree with you but they're new trucks (talking about Dodge) are actually pretty nice :anonymous:

There seem to be a lot of Toyota diehards on here but different people, for whatever reason, seem to have better luck with different brands. Statistically, one brand may have a better reputation for longevity than others but personal experiences will trump statistics for just about everyone.

16. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    ^^^This. Just took a 6k loss on the wifes '12 Grand Cherokee Overland to get rid of the pile. Third and final Jeep. I love the styling of the wrangler, and a diesel option sounds appealing but I don't trust the company. Pity..

17. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I have yet to drive a new Ram, but they seem cheap to me at first glance. They fail the door close test. Too much vibration.

Lot's of people here certainly drink the Toyo Kool-Aid. Good vehicles for certain, but not God's gift to the roads.

My thoughts exactly. I may be taking a pretty big hit getting rid of the Liberty as well. Hoping I can get the selling dealer to take it back.

18. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Dude calm down! Jeeps are cool when they work, but the frequency of problems is very high. That's crappy that you are burning out clutches, but that is EXTREMELY rare and you should consider yourself unlucky. I get it though, if you are having issues of course you are going to express them. There are usually only two types of people who actually feel strongly enough about their vehicle to write/review about it on the internet. This is after all a Tacoma enthusiast site so of course people aren't going to jump on the anti tacoma bandwagon. Your clutch problem sucks and all vehicles have mechanical issues of some type but Toyota sells a ZILLION of these a year, and yet the problems you hear about on here are trivial for the most part. "Wish I had heated mirrors!" "Gosh a cargo light in the bed would be nice.." and "HELP! There is a squeak in my rear leaf springs" or "I feel vibration in certain circumstances" are the only real issues. Much better than most/all other car manufacturers or models known problems.

Good luck with your clutch.. thats gotta suck. (Get an auto! lol)

19. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    TexasCub

TexasCub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    You are correct that personal experiences trump statistics , but I can tell you that after many years in the dealer service line of work...... some people are never happy and set expectations that are often unrealistic. If a guy is bothered by a squeak here and a creak there or a slight vibration or mild rattle here or there, Toyota is one of the brands that will ease that uber sensitive anxious type way better than many other makes. Chrysler tends to hold several positions in the top 10 worst vehicles made year in and year out and for good reason. They appeal to people who like a bunch of fancy chit that eventually doesn't work. While some people think that a Tacoma is an expensive investment, truth be told they are not when you look at what so many vehicles cost these days. They are just a good little pick up that's price is supported by their longevity and resale value. I kind of laugh reading the threads on here of people complaining to no end and seeking a TSB fix for every little thing they think applies to their vehicle. Its a compact pickup known to run for many years and several hundred thousand miles without much mechanical issues, drive the chit out of it and don't sweat the small chit! If you are gonna hunt down every sound or feeling in your vehicle and allow it to drive you crazy then spend $45,000+ and buy a Lexus!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  20. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Pretty much. The die hards can sit here and trash this brand or that brand and meanwhile on a forum for -insert brand here- I guarantee the mention of Toyota will garner comments about how terrible Toyota vehicles are and their frames rust away and they are dangerous to drive due to unintended acceleration. Perception perception perception.

Products Discussed in

To Top