1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wrangler Diesel deposit(Taco for sale)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by midlife4X4fix, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    I just put down my deposit on the upcoming 3.0L(420 lb\ft MBZ) V6 diesel Wrangler. Take note Toyota! Loosing a 6 truck customer due to your ignorance to customer demand.
    I have about a year wait so I thought I would let you guys know that I will either be trading in or selling my Taco.

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    When did they announce that they'd be putting that engine in the Wrangler?

3. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    About a week ago. The Cherokee is getting it now.
    A buddy of mine is the GM at a local Jeep dealer. He confirmed it.
    That motor would be amazing in a Tacoma!

4. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I almost broke my neck trying to look at your truck LOL. GLWS OP. Good idea for Jeep but I'd still be weary of buying a Chrysler product right now.

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Interesting. I'm curious to see how the engine works out once it's in the hands of customers. The Dodge 1500 diesel seems like a nice option.

6. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    I'll just get a trailer for my truck duties.
    I plan to get a base Rubicon with NO options and a soft top.
    I will then Poison Spiderize it to the extreme!!
    The only undecided thing is 2 door or 4 door!

7. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    Is that the same motor or the Cummins?

8. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    lol ignorance to customer demand?

Im willing to bet less than 1% of current customers would prefer a diesel over the gas engine.

9. Mar 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Spitz Stang

Spitz Stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OR 4x4
    OME 885 / Dakar,5100's, 265/65-16
  10. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, shit tons of people claim to want a diesel, but when it comes down to it, the diesel option will likely cost so much more that in the end only 1% would actually get it. Now if they could release a diesel option at the same price that may be another story. haha

11. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    In a Coma

In a Coma Active Member

Member:
    Denver CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    INTERIOR:: 1.) Dynamat interior (noise insulation) 2.) 6-way Focal speakers w/10" JL sub, Alpine amp 3.) Weathertec mats 4.) Limo Tint 5.) Seat Covers - Ballistic Nylon w/MOLLE system 6.) Console Safe EXTERIOR:: 1.) 3" Toytec Ultimate lift kit 2.) Old Man Emu Leaf Pack 3.) TJM 9000Ilbs winch w/synthetic rope 4.) Front Bumper - Brute Force Fab 5.) Rear Bumper - Brute Force Fab (high clearance + swing out) 6.) Extreme Hi-lift jack 7.) Roto-Pax - Two 3-gal Pax cans w/custom mount cages 8.) All-pro skid plate 9.) Gauntlet Overland Gear Rock Sliders 10.) Debadged 11.) 40" Rigid Industries SR Series LED light bar 12.) PIAA 510 Extreme Driving lights 13.) PIAA 510 Fogs 14.) Roof Rack - Front Runner 15.) Cargo Box - Custom aluminum, military grade 16.) Dual Battery - Yellow Optima/Blue Optima w/IBS Management System 17.) Softopper 18.) ARB 50qt Fridge 19.) ARB compressor - engine mount 20.) ARB recovery strap & snatch block 21.) Misc tools/siphon/straps/etc
    Wow, you crazy man! :) Just because it's a diesel doesn't mean it's without problems. It's still a Jeep and I'd give it a few years for them to work out the kinks. I know I'll NEVER own another Jeep as long as I live even if it had a 100,000 mile warranty and the best diesel engine in the world. My confidence that Jeep will actually make something worth a shit is extremely low. I certainly would never drive a Jeep to Central America or on a long haul out of the country. But, hey man, best of luck! To each his own. Hope it works out for you :)

And you know, you can bring a Hilux into the US. People think you can't but they are not actually listed on the "No Import" list. Go to Mexico, buy one and drive it back. Pretty simple. The main downfall is you lose your factory warranty so you'll have to be able to fix it yourself or be out of pocket to hire a mechanic to fix it for you. Although, I doubt you'll run into many problems.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  12. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    SpeedBlueTaco0502

SpeedBlueTaco0502 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Fresno CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pre Runner
    Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10, Plasti Dip Inner Grille, Plasti Dip lower bumper. Bilstein 5100 1.75
    Don't lift it, my 2004 u-joints always snapped off at the rear destroying my muffler and brake lines. That was my only problem with my TJ. I regret selling it, but I needed a pickup when I bought my first home. Best of Luck on this Wrangler. Yeah Toyota doesn't have a Diesel yet, have a V-8 in it yet. But I love this truck for what it is.

13. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I have to tell you that you must be on drugs to be expecting the Wrangler Diesel to be a reliable and useful vehicle. I got rid of a Jeep Liberty Diesel when I got my Tacoma. The diesel liberty which used a VM Motori engine was, in 2 words, not trustworthy. Only if you discounted a lousy transmission and poor engine/pollution control would it be considered a success. I have never ever had a less reliable vehicle. In addition, the dealer network was useless (they never trained the mechanics beyond a video) and the parts were expensive and seemingly always on back order.
    The Liberty was my first and last Chrysler product. If you get one, I wish you luck as you will surely need it!
    If you dont believe me, go over to the Liberty CRD site (L.O.S.T.) and see the problems the owners have.

14. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    :popcorn:

did some quick googling and seems it would just need to conform to EPA and DOT safety requirements...which I'm pretty sure it does already and wouldn't need the expensive testing done..

If I lived in Texas i'd totally look into driving one back from Mexico.

15. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    2015 I thought?

16. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No, it won't be a Cummins. I believe they are talking about using the same Chrysler engine that the Jeeps are getting.

17. Mar 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Have fun when your Jeep starts falling apart before the loan is paid off :wave:

18. Mar 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Ram is putting a diesel in the 1500 series.
    I think more customers would opt for a diesel than you think. Yes it is more expensive up front, but that's because it's worth it. MPG, torque, longevity.

We all bought a toyota and paid a premium for it. Everything worth having has a price.

19. Mar 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    that would be sick.... but if this was true i would think there would be more of them in the US....

20. Mar 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    EFalco50

EFalco50 Woah! How did that get here?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single Cab 4x4
    Weather Tech Floor liners, AFE drop in air filter, BFG All Terrain's, Fog lights, Reese Hitch, Undercoating/Rustproofing,
    My hopes would that Chrysler will set the bar for diesel engines, and that will set off the other manufactures to follow the leader so to speak. So fingers crossed Toyota will follow suit.

Products Discussed in

To Top