Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Undercover Tonneau

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Spacedude is on a distinguished road

Spacedude's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover Tonneau

I am about to buy the Undercover tonneau. It seems to fit my needs and is very secure. Is there something I need to know about it? Speak now or forever hold your peace!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
I am about to buy the Undercover tonneau. It seems to fit my needs and is very secure. Is there something I need to know about it? Speak now or forever hold your peace!
Let me ask you Spacedude, why get the undercover? I'm just curious actually.

Seems like it is actually a normal tonneau that has braces that make it like a solid cover. I got the Lund Genesis Tri-fold so I can fold it out of the way. But it seems that with the undercover I would have to always remove the whole thing. Of course the benefit is that it has a lot of braces and seems like a strong cover to put things on top of, but why would someone do that?

I suppose I am missing something.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #3

I think the braces are to keep it from warping due to heat and cold. Your right though, I'm certainly not going to put anything on top. The only thing I don't like is I would have to remove it to carry my mtn. bike in the verticle position. But the advantage is it's very secure because it goes over the tailgate and locks. I have telescope equipment I would not have to worry, too much, when I'm in a restaurant or something on the road. Also it's very weather proof. I don't know, i'm still on the fence.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
I think the braces are to keep it from warping due to heat and cold. Your right though, I'm certainly not going to put anything on top. The only thing I don't like is I would have to remove it to carry my mtn. bike in the verticle position. But the advantage is it's very secure because it goes over the tailgate and locks. I have telescope equipment I would not have to worry, too much, when I'm in a restaurant or something on the road. Also it's very weather proof. I don't know, i'm still on the fence.
I also lock my tailgate with the POP&LOCK and my Tonneau goes over the tail. I also did the locking storage box mod and now my entire bed is secure. Now, of course if someone wants to cut through the cover they always can but "out of sight out of mind..."

If someone wants something in your hard cover they can get that too. I just find the tri fold a great option. I had a rollup and it was very good but I was amazed at how this one is much better.

I can completely remove the cover in 2 minutes, fold it back in 5 seconds and keep it back if I wanted to. For the bike you mentioned just remove it...4 latches that slip off and use the Tacoma bedrail system. You can only open the cover from the inside so the locking tailgate plus this is secure.

Check it out here: http://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-...A1953A0A0.aspx

Checl out my pictures for some pics of the cover folded up.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
TommyTaco is on a distinguished road
TommyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The undercover is a must have. I have had it for a few months and I am lovin it. It is simple to put on and take off, it is very strong, it locks, it's affordable, and it's lightweight. In my opinion, it as also the best looking cover out there. I hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Flash3876 is on a distinguished road
Flash3876's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the Extang Black Max tonneau cover. I do like it but I would eventually like to invest in the Undercover because it locks the tailgate. But the soft extang cover I have has its advantages too.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I just don't get it. To me it deletes the point of having a pickup. I have to go through all this stuff and store it just to get something large into the bed.

I personally could never see the point of a flip open top for a pickup. But they sell a lot of em, sooo....
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTaco View Post
The undercover is a must have. I have had it for a few months and I am lovin it. It is simple to put on and take off, it is very strong, it locks, it's affordable, and it's lightweight. In my opinion, it as also the best looking cover out there. I hope this helps.
TommyTaco,

I notice the upper lip of the tailgate sits a bit lower than the bed caps on the Tacoma. Does the Undercover still make a snug fit over the tailgate?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Yes, it is very snug. It lays right over the tailgate allowing you to lock the cover, hence, locking the tailgate.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #10

Thanks for responding everyone. Im gonna get the Undercover.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
You can't go wrong with it. I would give you pics, but unfortunately I have none. Log onto www.undercoverinfo.com Take a look at the testimonials. You can even request a free dvd that they can send you to. For the price, this cover is sensational. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
I was able to find you this. http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/s...o/4511/cat/510
Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #13
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
I also did the locking storage box mod and now my entire bed is secure.
Hey, I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but I was doing some searches researching tonneaus and got sidetracked by something shiny. What's this locking storage box mod? I tried searching for that on the site, but only got this thread as a match.

Products Discussed in this Thread