Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 4x4 DC SR5 HITTNG BUMP STOPS

Old 03-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
2012 4x4 DC SR5 HITTNG BUMP STOPS

As the title says i have a 2012 dc 4x4, only mod done was 5100's in the front @ .85". I am still a 1/2" higher in the rear. Today I bought 16 bags of mulch (25-30lbs each) and loaded them in the bed totaling 450lbs+100lbs of tools. i noticed i was hitting the bump stops on the ride back to the office. I have the 4-leaf pack from the factory. I checked the bump stop gap and i have about a 1" gap from the frame.
Has anyone successfully gotten the TSB for the 4 leaf pack for a 2012?
The 30 mile ride home will be interesting over a stretch of "bouncy" interstate.

I tow my 18' boat (2000lbs) and a 400cc 4x4 4wheeler without this happeneing
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Um... not sure what is what on the 2012's since things changed, but the Pre-2012's came with a 3 leaf pack from the factory and the TSB was a 4 leaf pack. I don't know if, and kind of doubt, there is a 5 leaf TSB pack. I would look into getting an aftermarket leaf pack like the OME Dakars, but any of them are going to lift your rear... The other option would be to get an Add-A-Leaf, but I don't think they improve weight capacity very much and will also provide lift.

I am kind of surprised the 4 wheeler doesn't cause the same issue though...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinclm View Post
As the title says i have a 2012 dc 4x4,
Has anyone successfully gotten the TSB for the 4 leaf pack for a 2012?
The 30 mile ride home will be interesting over a stretch of "bouncy" interstate.

I tow my 18' boat (2000lbs) and a 400cc 4x4 4wheeler without this happeneing
I'm not completely sure but... 2012+ v-6 with tow pkg has the 4 leaf TSB. not sure if you have tow or not but being 4wd I'd assume it would have it.

Did you have it all loaded towards the tail gate? That stretch of bouncing interstate will have drastic affects on the suspension with a load.

Are you hauling or Towing this boat and ATV? Towing with a trailer is taking some, if not more, of the weight off the truck.

If you haul this kind of weight daily I would get air bags to help out. If you didn't want more lift of course.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the 4wheeler is on a trailer, I know trailers transfer the weight but the truck hardly sags withthe boat or 4wheeler. the second I put over 200lbs in the bed, the truck sags. I KNOW it has a 4 leaf pack and I have the tow package. The load was spread out throughout the entire bed. Also, the load may have been closer to 600-700lbs depending on water weight.
Toyota told me that there was no TSB for the 2012. My ride home wasn't as bad as I though, hit bump stops on the bigger bumps but nothing hard. The intersate, i was bouncing but was still able to do 70-73mph safely. The bouncing was similar to what a chevy 2500 HD does on that stretch of interstate. Truck bed was sagging 2" exactly (measured with and without load).

I don't haul this weight often at all (in thr bed) but wish it was a little stiffer back there. I don't want to lift the truck more than an inch in the rear so I may look into those options because in time I will be upgrading my boat
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the 4 leaf pack the tsb leafs?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Isn't the 4 leaf pack the tsb leafs?
yes, they come standard on the 2012 SR5 and TRD sport
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Air Bags

Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds pretty standard to me. My bump stops have a love affair with my rear frame. I always catch them banging when I don't want them too. I just installed an AAL, but still I catch them at it occasionally. Even with relatively light loads I can feel the bumps hitting as you described, alot lighter than your load. I also have the 3 leaf pack so its a little different.