Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRAC & ABS on TRD Offroad?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
TRAC & ABS on TRD Offroad?

Hi, I recently purchased an 05 tacoma trd offroad. I was wondering about features like traction control and abs. From reading the manual, it states that I have both and indicator lights for each will light up when being used. But, I have never noticed a light for them turn on and there is no button to turn trac on or off. Sometimes I can hear a grinding noise when the truck is slipping. I assume thats the abs, but again no light lights up on the dash board.

Is this normal? Do I actually have trac or/and abs on my truck?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome. You have ABS. Experience it regularly in winter. There are no lights on the dash, just noises and longer stopping distances.

As for TRAC/VSC, very very few 05's had it(think the pkg included side airbags too). On loose gravel or snow, try to powerslide. If the truck reins in the fun with noises you got it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to TW. ^ what he said
Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 TRD Sport does not have the TRAC/VSC, for what it's worth
Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
Welcome. You have ABS. Experience it regularly in winter. There are no lights on the dash, just noises and longer stopping distances.

As for TRAC/VSC, very very few 05's had it(think the pkg included side airbags too). On loose gravel or snow, try to powerslide. If the truck reins in the fun with noises you got it.
i will take a look and see if there are side airbags. i live in the colorado rockies, so snowy roads are something we have lots of. the rear of the truck pulls a lot when its icy and in 2wd.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
welcome to TW. ^ what he said
Thanks. I been lurking on the these forums or maybe close to a year now. Just been to lazy to sign up.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by [eric] View Post
i will take a look and see if there are side airbags. i live in the colorado rockies, so snowy roads are something we have lots of. the rear of the truck pulls a lot when its icy and in 2wd.
If the rear fishtails in 2wd, you dont have TRAC/VSC. So 4wd, a little weight in the bed, or better yet, if you live 'in' the Rockies, a set of winter tires will take care of that. Running 2 wheel sets made even easier w/ No TPMS on 05's.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
If the rear fishtails in 2wd, you dont have TRAC/VSC. So 4wd, a little weight in the bed, or better yet, if you live 'in' the Rockies, a set of winter tires will take care of that. Running 2 wheel sets made even easier w/ No TPMS on 05's.
i checked and no side airbags.

i do have 150lbs of sand in back right now and a topper over the bed. I couldnt afford dedicated winter tires so i bought some BFG A/T that i thought would be a good compromise for summer/winter. im a little bit disappointed with them in the snow. on non-muddy dirt they are great.