Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD 1 Year Review

Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
ACLakey is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
ACLakey's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD 1 Year Review

Well, it has been one year and a week sense I purchased my brand new 2012 Tacoma TRD and I figured I would post my thoughts. I traded off my 2006 Dodge Power Wagon and for an off road truck this thing was a BEAST!! I REALLY liked the Power Wagon but could not afford to drive the thing when I was averaging just over 10mpg and gas was flirting with $4.00/gal!

Truck = 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Miles = 17,176
Mechanical Issues = None
Mods = None
To Do List = Canopy with custom storage, locker override, CB, rear diff breather relocate, small lift and 235x85R6, Seat covers

Impressions: This is the third Toyota mini truck I have owned and all of them have been rock solid. I love the TRD package but feel the 4 wheel drive options could be simplified. The truck is comfortable and drives great on the road. It does not get as good of mileage as I have seen with previous pickups but on the other hand the large 4.0L has plenty of power for this rig. I average right around 17mpg with a mix of highway and small city driving. I can usually go 300mi with this mix of driving before the gas light comes on. On road trips I have seen just over 20mpg on highways but on the interstate at higher speeds that drops to around 18mpg.

Likes: Ease of driving and comfort, back up camera(this thing will spoil you), 4 wheel drive options(even though there are many). Toyota 25K mile maintenance warranty. I purchased lifetime synthetic oil changes with the truck but like the Toyota plan.

Dislikes(minor gripes): As much as this truck cost I would like to have seen items like heated mirrors!!!, all switches light up(seriously, how hard would it have been to light the 4x4 switch and door and window lock switches) more charging ports for electronic equipment(especially a 120 plug in the cab sense the truck already has an inverter in the bed. I would like to have seen an anti lock break override, not only for off road application but for slick driving conditions as well. The BFG Rugged fails are horrible and with under 20k miles I am going to have to replace them soon. The stock mudflaps rub on EVERYTHING...even speed bumps...I hat these things.

All in all I am very happy with this pickup but I am still contemplating a 2006ish Dodge with the Cummings. My buddy has one and gets great fuel economy and can haul and tow just about anything, not to mention the extra room. That will be a few years down the road if at all though.

Below are a few pics of the truck.

The day of purchase.

Hunting, I like the size and maneuverability of this rig off road.

At right around 700mi the wife had a little mishap...all is well now.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
I share some of your thoughts. I'm bummed that there are no power seats, no sunroof, no garage door/gate opener, seating position is car-like, not truck-like.

Nice pics. I've been through there before. I've visited Bend a few times and Crater Lake.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
CLODHOPPER is on a distinguished road

CLODHOPPER's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck man, sorry to hear about the front end damage but shit happens sometimes I guess. One thing that Id suggest tho is to just stick with the taco. although this might be the ramblings of a taco lover, your taco is twice the truck that any Dodge is, and not even near as problematic. I think everyone on this forum would agree. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post
I share some of your thoughts. I'm bummed that there are no power seats, no sunroof, no garage door/gate opener, seating position is car-like, not truck-like.

Nice pics. I've been through there before. I've visited Bend a few times and Crater Lake.
My 12' has homelink garage/gate opener built into the mirror along back up camera display. Did they drop this in 13'?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Did your 2012 come from the factory with synthetic? Or did you choose that as an upgrade from the factory?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the review.
I have the same config except a 2013 & share the same minor dislikes esp the no heated mirrors.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps2012 View Post
My 12' has homelink garage/gate opener built into the mirror along back up camera display. Did they drop this in 13'?
Yup