Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing Transmission Fluid

Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
rogerkamp8817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Roger
rogerkamp8817's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing Transmission Fluid

I'm at 45k miles now and I'm planning ahead on getting my transmission fluid replaced around 60k miles.

I searched and it seems pretty tedious. The transmission has to be at the right temperature for you to fill up the fluid properly.

My questions are:

1) I'm thinking I should just bring it to the dealer. How much will this cost? I'm estimating about $300-$400. Could this be done for less? I'm in Orange County, CA. If you're local, do you have any recommendations where I can get this done properly for a good price?

2) Why can't I simply drain the fluid, measure exactly how much (i.e., fill it up in a milk gallon jug), then proportion the amount of new transmission fluid in a 2nd milk gallon jug to the exact same level, maybe a hair more just to be safe and pump that into the transmission? Would this be difficult? I wouldn't even have get the temperature right or anything if I'm simply putting back the same amount that came out. Am I over simplifying this process? Is it not worth the risk of messing this up and ending up with a catastrophic failure of the transmission?

Thank you.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkamp8817 View Post

2) Why can't I simply drain the fluid, measure exactly how much (i.e., fill it up in a milk gallon jug), then proportion the amount of new transmission fluid in a 2nd milk gallon jug to the exact same level, maybe a hair more just to be safe and pump that into the transmission? Would this be difficult? I wouldn't even have get the temperature right or anything if I'm simply putting back the same amount that came out. Am I over simplifying this process? Is it not worth the risk of messing this up and ending up with a catastrophic failure of the transmission?

Thank you.
because there's something like 12 quarts in the whole system and the tranny pan only holds 3... thats only 25% of the stuff you're replacing.

i might be picking up a bunch of toyota t iv oil soon. i'll let you know the price if you need it.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
shweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant futureshweller has a brilliant future

shweller's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer quoted me $170. I am typically a do it yourselfer but with the tranny it’s a different story. Too much oil and you blow a seal, not enough oil and you burn it up. I am just planning on having the dealer do it. IMO
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
Paid $150 the day after Christmas. Much easier to have them flush the whole system instead of you doing it yourself.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
I think for 150-170 I'm going to the dealer too. 12 quarts at 6-7 dollars per qt is already 80-90 bucks after taxes.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That fluid is 100,000 mile rated... My 2005 was done at 100,000 miles, never any issues... other than I traded it in for my 2010, at 102,000 miles! LOL
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Don't let them fool you, all the dealer is going to do is drain and fill, for $170.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Not sure why people think dealer will do anything else. There is no flush machine for new transmissions. So at best dealer will do drain and fill at worst will do nothing and still charge you.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
if they are doing a drain and fill for 170 that's a sick deal. better double check first
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
PRIMETIME is on a distinguished road
PRIMETIME's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine in my garage, pretty sure i got 15 qts out of it. Wasnt hard at all.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
I went in to have mine flushed at 60000 miles and after the dealer agreed to do it, they called me back and left a message stating that they were only going to do the drain and fill due to something about the machine. Not much difference in price though.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIMETIME View Post
Did mine in my garage, pretty sure i got 15 qts out of it. Wasnt hard at all.
doesnt the diy say its 12quarts?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
I asked my dealer yesterday when i was in for oil change. They said they have a machine that flushes the whole system about 12 quarts. They said the change runs just under $200 due to the cost of fluid. I would rather pay that then mess something up.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
thank god I got 6 spd tranny
Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
I asked my dealer yesterday when i was in for oil change. They said they have a machine that flushes the whole system about 12 quarts. They said the change runs just under $200 due to the cost of fluid. I would rather pay that then mess something up.

What dealer is this? 200 seems fishy. The fluid alone is over 100 from factory.

Number you ain't in California
Old 03-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting , my '09 Canadian Tacoma maintenance schedule calls for replacing the automatic transmission fluid at 96 000kms ( 60 000 miles ) , and I had this done yesterday , and indeed my invoice shows a complete transmission fluid flush and replacement with 12 units ( I assume litres ) of synthetic ATF , the flush was explained to me by the service manager as well as the tech that always works on my truck

I guess I'm just not paranoid enough to believe they just didn't bother , but wrote it up and took my money anyway

Oh and cost was $137 parts and $95 labour
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #19
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
What ^^ he said. around ~200 for flush. But I will have them show me the process when they do mine.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Not sure why people think dealer will do anything else. There is no flush machine for new transmissions. So at best dealer will do drain and fill at worst will do nothing and still charge you.
No basis in truth here. Dealerships are a far cry from what the general public makes them out to be. Every dealership I have worked at would do a full and proper flush with a machine, or if the machine was not working, we would tell the customer so, and reschedule the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
What dealer is this? 200 seems fishy. The fluid alone is over 100 from factory.

Number you ain't in California
You have to realize that the dealerships do not buy transmission fluid by the quart for the service department, normally. (Though it is done on rare occasions) They buy it by the hundred gallon lots, to be dispensed by the same way oil is for oil changes: Pipes and hoses in the shop. That Toyota transmission fluid that costs you say $6 per quart, costs them about $1.50 at best when they buy in bulk gallons. So 12 quarts of fluid costs them around $18. (Note that this is an estimate based on when I was working at the last dealership I was at) And then they charge you based on standard markup. Sometimes it may be that $6 per quart, but usually it is less. Plus labor charges. All of this is to pay for the tech working on your truck, the fluid itself, and cost of the machine plus wear and tear. Then the rest is profit. As I recall our full flushes were $189, and profit was about $30.

We had the basic PF-5, but this video shows the newer one. If you notice near the end of the video, the upper sight glass shows very dark fluid from the truck. After service is done, it is pinkish-red again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYCmQONfNs