1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driveline Vibration- Still need help after reading!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CSTC, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    CSTC

CSTC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    BF Goodrich All Terrains
    Ok, to preface, I have read I feel like every article on driveline vibrations caused by lifts, and I just can't help but feel like my situation is different..

Specs: 08 TRD 4x4, 4 door, 6 cyl., Toytec Ultimate Lift kit ^^, with the diff drop, and I have axle shims, as well as the makeshift CB Drop (I have a 1/2 in nut that I used).

Now to the problem: I have noticed that most threads have people talking about driveline vibrations at mostly faster speeds, and I have not been able to find many with vibrations at very low speeds.
    The vibrations that I feel are between 5 and 12 (or so) MPH. and if you really stepped on the gas, there is a serious shudder up to about 12, then the vibration is gone, but there is a faint noise that you can hear if you shut the radio off. It, in reality, sounds like you can just hear the driveshaft and diff gears turning, that circular "Wow..wow..wow..wow..wow" :confused: (Say that as if you dictated the "w" louder on each end of the WoW). As I get to higher speeds the noise is pretty much gone due to road noise in general. Also, like many others, when I put it in 4x4, it is immediately gone, the noise and the shudder. also, in reverse, it does neither (Weird??). I do stress that the shudder is significant, it is like if you drove over rumble strips every time you take off, just more in the drivetrain vibrating vs the tires.

Right when I picked it up from being lifted, I noticed the vibration, due to the fact that I was expecting it from all of these posts about it. So, I had the axle shims installed and the CB drop, and it definitely helped. But, the noise has over time gotten slightly louder.

Have any of you experienced this? Thoughts?

2. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    gladiatorj28

gladiatorj28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 DCLB
    3" Procomp with 1.5" AAL, Black FJ TT's, K&N drop in filter, ECGS front diff bushing upgrade, Wet Okele's... More to come!!
    Front Diff Bearing, had the same issue after installing my lift, it almost sounds like its coming from below you but it is almost definitely that based on what you are saying. East Coast Gear Supply sells a bushing upgrade, removal tool and even the driver set for about 190 ish out the door. I put it in mine and.... Amazing it was gone. :eek: Big ups to Chase and ECGS that came up with that fix!!!!!!

3. Mar 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    CSTC

CSTC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    BF Goodrich All Terrains
    Awesome! Thanks! was it a difficult install? This would be my first time doing such a thing..

4. Mar 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    CSTC

CSTC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    BF Goodrich All Terrains
    Also, could you direct me to exactly which one I should get? I am looking on their site, and they sure have a lot of "differential bearing" products...

5. Mar 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
  6. Mar 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    CSTC

CSTC [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    BF Goodrich All Terrains
    So, all I would need to do is to replace the bushing and im good to go? Or do I need to replace the front diff bearing too?

7. Mar 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    mattmyster

mattmyster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    nova scotia
    Vehicle:
    07 4 door trd offroad radiant red
    Kenwood DD deck, XD 17in rims, 285/70 firestone destination A/T, ,7in spotlights behind the grill, satoshi grill and color match, rough country lift, seat covers...maybe more cant remember
    the diff bearing is the needle bearing, the bushing from ecgs is a straight up replacement for that and is awesome...just installed mine a few weeks ago

8. Mar 8, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    gladiatorj28

gladiatorj28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 DCLB
    3" Procomp with 1.5" AAL, Black FJ TT's, K&N drop in filter, ECGS front diff bushing upgrade, Wet Okele's... More to come!!
    There is a thread on Front End drive vibrations here on TW, including install instructions. The install isn't bad, took me like 3 1/2 hrs with Jackstands, and hand tools, but i know some guys have had it done in like 2 hrs with a lift and air tools. Here is the link to the part and tools (if you want them, but they make it so much easier.

9. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    JRFry

JRFry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4X2 Long Bed
    ARE cap, ProMaxx stainless step bars
  10. Mar 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i also vote front diff/c/v vibes. replace the bearing with the bushing. i will be doing the same shortly.

wiggle the two c/v shafts at the differential. pass feels solid, driver side wiggles a bunch. i have money on it. wiggles=vibration. im ordering my bushing monday

11. Mar 14, 2013 at 5:06 AM
    JRFry

JRFry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4X2 Long Bed
    ARE cap, ProMaxx stainless step bars

Products Discussed in

To Top