1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer needs to trade truck with another dealer...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rraabb11, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    rraabb11

rraabb11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    What's your opinion on this:

Dealer A: 20 miles away $28,750 plus $200 doc fee (not a BOA preferred dealer) has truck on site

Dealer B: 2 miles away $28,500 plus free carpet mats and sills, needs to dealer trade

Dealer C: 45 miles away $28,000 plus free carpet mats and sills, needs to dealer trade

Here's what I heard:
    It's a ploy to get you in the door and then they make you take a different color on the lot after they string you along for a week due to "lack of availability".
    Or-
    Internet guys get paid for the visit and passes you to sales guy to get jerked aroun Has anyone every had this situation?

Dealers can't go down any further.
    Dealer A is ok
    Dealer B is real cool
    Dealer C just talked to on phone, but says he's a full fledged rep. and will be the one I deal w the whole time.

I'm ready to get my truck. I appreciate your two cents. Its a sr5 dc 4x tow pkg. in silver btw.

2. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    Sten

Sten I'm just here for the beer and tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Sten
    P.N.W.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD
    OME 886, ADD-A-LEAF, ALLPRO PLATE BUMPER
    Make sure you ask if they have a fee for dealer trades. When the dealership I work for does trades they add on a few grand and tend to not tell you that. Could be different there and with Toyota.

3. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    My dealer did a trade to get mine with a dealer 50 or so miles away. Had no issues.

4. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    eric3187

eric3187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    figure out EVERY option you want on the truck, EXACTLY how you want your truck, tell them that is what you want, no variables at all, that you are ready to buy that day.
    Call them and ask what their best price is right now no back and forth. they will probably say "well we are going to quote you X price and you will call another dealer and try to get them to beat the price, and try to get you to come in instead" tell them that is exactly what you are doing because your time is valuable and you will not settle for anything less than what you want and want the best price, if they want your business tell them to give you the best price.

In regards to trading with dealers, some of them want a "deposit" to get the truck to their location, IMO do not do that as you should want to physically touch and see the truck you are going to pay 28k+ on before any money is moved around

5. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    Make them tow the truck. They will dealer trade the truck by driving it.

You are buying new. You want new. Not driven do do dealer trade :)

And if you want a certain color stick to your guns. Don't let them say lack of avail. they can get it. They don't want to try then don't give them your money

6. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Talk to your credit union and ask to speak with the auto broker. No BS and rarely can you beat the price. They do all the hassle of finding what you want, and don't have to play games because they go directly to the fleet manager.

If needed, they will even drop the car at your door.

7. Mar 7, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    yotaman90

yotaman90 bröther may I have some lööps

Member:
    Taos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    My truck had to be traded between dealers. They did try to sell me one that was white instead of my preferred silver since they had it on hand, but I told them that I wanted the silver one. No exceptions.

8. Mar 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    I took the trade vehicle with 320 miles on it. Basically got the Sport package for free. Felt it was a better deal vs. Getting the SR5 in the color I wanted.

9. Mar 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I got the trade vehicle too. Mine had 400 miles on it. And since it wasn't the "wanted" truck, and it was the last one of that year, they marked it down pretty good. It's a 2010 4x4 STICK. I bought it in May of 2011 for what they were selling the older used automatic ones for.

10. Mar 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    rraabb11

rraabb11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spoke to a dealer in another city and basically he said if they know someone is shopping that much on price, dealers will actually reject the trade offer just
    to spite the lowest price seller. Great, no everyone knows this cheap
    Bastard wants this truck.

11. Mar 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Why aren't you going with Dealer C? It's between them to decide. You gotta figure that Dealer C will be trading with another truck that they can sell. Heck, I got the truck nobody wanted and my dealer still took it as a trade.

12. Mar 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I'm not quite sure of the question. If you go to the dealer who offers the best deal over the phone, and they give you a different number, just turn around and walk out.

Products Discussed in

To Top