Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

newbie with questions.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
hunter008 is on a distinguished road

Name: mark
hunter008's Tacoma Gallery
newbie with questions.

hi everyone. i own a 2006 tacoma(which i assume makes it a 2nd gen).it's an access cab.everything is plain jane on it except old school window cranks.and 4 wheel drive.
i have a lot of questions.first of all i'm looking for a cheap cap for it.and i need to know dimentions styles etc.i'm looking on craigslist.
after that i would like to know if i can modify my truck by adding an aftermarket tow package.i already installed the correct frame mount hitch that i got from u-haul.but i would like to double the amount of weight i can haul.as i would like to get a nice camping trailer eventually.
toyota told me i would have to have the tow package factory installed.that it can't be done later.is that true?
any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanx in advance.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

anyone?anyone? bueller?bueller?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
the cap needs to be for a tacoma with a 6' bed. as for the tow package no it cannot be added later as far as I know
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Caps are expensive, get a soft top maybe. This guy makes some awesome ones http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...p-buy-2-a.html
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
You can add another leaf to the rear to make it handle a load better, but over loading has its consequences. As with any vehicle, they can only haul/tow what they are designed to. You can install a break controller, which will help with the heavier towing. You can buy an aftermarket transmission cooler if yours is not equipped. You may also have to wire in a wiring harness for a trailer. But keep it mind, these are midsized trucks, not full size hauling machines. As for a cap, consider a canvas canopy, they store easily, install and remove simply. I sold my Leer fiberglass cap because it was a bitch to put on and remove by myself.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Differential Mod. is cheap, easy, and highly recommended if you ever cross deep water (link in my sig.)
Go to your local welding shop... they or someone they recommend can make you a tow hitch attached to your frame. You have a 6 ft. bed if you are an Access Cab, I do believe?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i do have a toyota factory tow reciever on my base model. im sure you could buy it from the dealer also as the previous owner apparently did

the lighting looks factory too as it plugs into the plug in the driver kick area, but the brake control plug does not exhist on my truck. you only get 4 wires. the previous owner on my truck ran this 4wire system to a 6-pin plug for some reason

add a trans cooler if your automatic and the oil cooler i dont think is necessary considering cost/work. i have neither but mine is a manual trans
Old 03-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #8

cool.thanx for the replies.i guess if i ever want to haul a 6000lb. trailer.i should probably get a bigger truck.i'll try to find a small one my truck can handle.doesn't seem like there are too many that size.except for pop ups.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
tow rating on my reciever is 6500/500 but i would never consider putting 500lbs on the factory leaf setup. i recently bought an aal that rides great. i dont haul, but they do make a heavy-duty one. 3-leaf add on kit that i think would do well for you. check out wheelersoffroad.com
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

i was going over my ratings. i can tow 3500 max.but if i had the tow package. i could tow 6500 max.i guess the thing that bums me out is: what do they do at the factory that cannot be duplicated later.that is so mysterious or magic.that it enables you to tow 3000lbs more?
if it is a different tranny i can accept that. or motor.
i would love to be able to buy one of these 3500lb camping trailers.and have 3000lbs mor to play with.because i know my cargo wouldn't exceed that.
if i were to follow the guide lines i can now tow basically nothing.
or a jon boat.
we go to assateague island every spring.and i'm tired of riding out monsoon rains in a tent.lol.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a RTT lol its better than a ground tent and there is a GB right now